Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Post Piotr Rasputin: Colossus Appreciation 2021

Happy New Year to the gentle giant Colossus. A new appreciation will be good enough for the fan to know more about his upcoming new contents in the X-books. Please give him some love and support for our best man. Let's hope 2021 is the good year for Colossus.

AvX_Consequences_Vol_1_3_Variant_Granov_Textless.jpg
    Black_Panther_Vol_6_13_ResurrXion_Variant_Textless.jpg
    Last edited by LAWtoyoto 432; 01-05-2021 at 09:01 AM.

Percy said he will have a bigger role in the next issues to come
    Let's keep our fingers crossed that this is an interesting role

Mighty Member

Did anyone knows what Piotr's personality anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    Gentle, kind, and artistic. However, when he gets pushed too far he breaks and makes rash decisions he often regrets.

I feel like he doesnt have one these days. The last time we saw any personality was in Rosenberg's UXM. Outside of that, most writers write him rather generic. I havent been a fan of his usage in X-Force and thats been the wrong title for him

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    I hope he genuinely gets a great storyline.

He really needs a writer that wants to use him properly and let him shine.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhaenylis View Post
    Do you have a direct link to this? So many writers have promised this, but to only let us Colossus fans/homers down.

Percy's Colossus seems to have given up/found peace or whatever. He's very lackluster and his new side-kick has shown more flare and zeal than Colossus. Yet again, Colossus playing second fiddle to a more dynamic and powerful female. Nothing wrong with having powerful female characters - I very much support that, but not at his expense. I would ask that Marvel writers and editors stop trying to hook-up Colossus with love interests and allow him to grow holistically as a character. Having said that, Domino, thus far has been the best match for him, but Colossus is smart enough to think on his own (as proven by Rosenberg - thanks for mentioning that Havok83).

At this point, I think doing something out of character for Colossus would be interesting. Perhaps place him on the Savage Avengers? I dunno, haha, I'm just spit ballin' here.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
    Do you have a direct link to this? So many writers have promised this, but to only let us Colossus fans/homers down.

Percy's Colossus seems to have given up/found peace or whatever. He's very lackluster and his new side-kick has shown more flare and zeal than Colossus. Yet again, Colossus playing second fiddle to a more dynamic and powerful female. Nothing wrong with having powerful female characters - I very much support that, but not at his expense. I would ask that Marvel writers and editors stop trying to hook-up Colossus with love interests and allow him to grow holistically as a character. Having said that, Domino, thus far has been the best match for him, but Colossus is smart enough to think on his own (as proven by Rosenberg - thanks for mentioning that Havok83).

At this point, I think doing something out of character for Colossus would be interesting. Perhaps place him on the Savage Avengers? I dunno, haha, I'm just spit ballin' here.
    Yeah idk why Percy didn’t keep Domino and Colossus together.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah idk why Percy didn’t keep Domino and Colossus together.
    Yeah, real odd how they basically teased Domilossus with them meeting up on the beach, bathing together, going on a mission together and then she got revived and.. ??? Nothing. But tbh, it was obvious from the jump he wasn't interested in colossus. And that no writer of Dawn of X really was, given how they gave him a plot and then kept it 95% off screen. Like, we still don't really know what happened to him in Russia. He helped Russian mutants, maybe? Who? Did he get them out? He fucked with some Tanks, but what hurt him so bad? Tanks normally wouldn't, and if he was depowered he wouldn't've been in his armored form to begin with. And.. dead, from tanks, without his mutation. I digress.

He's a soft-hearted man that tries to do the right thing but can hesitate until it is almost too late due to indecision and intentional inaction, but is absolutely a reliable guy to do the right thing. It just so happens that being someone who wants peace but has a mutation built for being a frontline warrior don't go hand in hand, and sadly, almost no writer ever bothers to even CONSIDER that dichotomy in him and how he ultimately ends up reconciling the two parts of himself: Which is usually by being a reluctant recruit onto teams wherein he does little, but makes his choices and battles count, whether he wins or loses. See: Losing to Red Hulk because he's concerned about collateral damage, winning his fight against Juggernaut not through sheer physicality but by actually employing tactics against a foe he's learned he can't just out-punch. He's not a genius by any means but he isn't dumb, he just thinks and acts differently because he was raised as a farmer, in russia, and doesn't say his every thought aloud or express every emotion he feels like is pretty normal (also easier to make work in comics) like an American. But that's okay: A strongman with subtlety to him is actually a pretty cool character. Sadly, I don't really trust any of the current writers to do him justice anyway, aside from Hickman, who doesn't seem interested in using Colossus (and might dislike the character? idk).

But here's to hoping 2021 is better for our boi.

He should have kept his attitude from AXM, especially now on Krakoa when mutants are prospering. I think he would be more interesting if he got to be happy and we saw him being witty and bold. Actually see him loving the action and not acting depressed and mopey. I wish he'd leave X-Force with Jean and join her new X-men team

I think Peter has shown, more than any other x-character, how being a soldier for Xavier's dream can destroy you. He lived a simple but happy life in the USSR, he didn't ask to be a X-Men, he didn't volunteer for anything... Xavier came to him and asked for help. As an X-Men, Colossus saw friends die, being mindcontrolled, saw a Massacre, died and reborn, witness enemies become friends, lost his family and reached the breaking point.

Even if Claremont had never made an arc or saga focusing on Colossus, I believe Peter's longstanding tenure on the team showed some "subtle development" for the character. The gentle soul that has to use his strenght to kill, the one who has to get his hand dirty in order to save his friends. Also, the one lost his faith on Xavier's dream during the 90s and was pratically a nurse to Magneto.

Some more recent stories were interesting to show his strenghts and flaws. I believe it was Wood's and Yost's Amazing X-Men that explored Colossus conflicted relationship with Ororo. She even calls him out for being the one that always wants to sacrifice himself but never the one who stays to clean the mess.

I think we need more Colossus away from Kitty and Illyana. The character can be used to tell stories about trauma, suicide, treatment and overcoming all that through friends and family.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    I think Peter has shown, more than any other x-character, how being a soldier for Xavier's dream can destroy you. He lived a simple but happy life in the USSR, he didn't ask to be a X-Men, he didn't volunteer for anything... Xavier came to him and asked for help. As an X-Men, Colossus saw friends die, being mindcontrolled, saw a Massacre, died and reborn, witness enemies become friends, lost his family and reached the breaking point.

Even if Claremont had never made an arc or saga focusing on Colossus, I believe Peter's longstanding tenure on the team showed some "subtle development" for the character. The gentle soul that has to use his strenght to kill, the one who has to get his hand dirty in order to save his friends. Also, the one lost his faith on Xavier's dream during the 90s and was pratically a nurse to Magneto.

Some more recent stories were interesting to show his strenghts and flaws. I believe it was Wood's and Yost's Amazing X-Men that explored Colossus conflicted relationship with Ororo. She even calls him out for being the one that always wants to sacrifice himself but never the one who stays to clean the mess.

I think we need more Colossus away from Kitty and Illyana. The character can be used to tell stories about trauma, suicide, treatment and overcoming all that through friends and family.
    Wood did some great stuff with him, probably the only writer since Claremont to acknowledge Storm seeing him as a little brother.

Claremont had him kill Proteous, Riptide, and one of The humanish Brood.

There’s a darkness in the guy we got a hint of when Gillen made him Juggernaut. Some of that was excellent, but even then he was jobbing when he should have been the most physically powerful character in Marvel.

Guy is just fodder for writers.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JJS View Post
    Wood did some great stuff with him, probably the only writer since Claremont to acknowledge Storm seeing him as a little brother.

Claremont had him kill Proteous, Riptide, and one of The humanish Brood.

There’s a darkness in the guy we got a hint of when Gillen made him Juggernaut. Some of that was excellent, but even then he was jobbing when he should have been the most physically powerful character in Marvel.

Guy is just fodder for writers.
    Agreed. I feel like Whedon did him good when he had him confront Aghanne in AxM, but most of the time you don't see his thought process at all. Usually he is just as simple as: Big Man Turns Metal. Alternately: Big Man Paints. But Whedon giving him a trauma (also retconning his death) and then having him address that with the Professor, was really good. But he's very rarely a character the writers care to focus on, and I suppose that much is fair. Just sucks he never really gets the spotlight I think he deserves and could hold, because he is a complex character, he's just often reduced to something that isn't.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Consider yourself appreciated, Piotr...

SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Spectacular Member DetectiveStrange's Avatar

I hope he gets more interesting storylines soon that evolve the character while still keeping true to the character.

I feel like he and Beast have felt a little out of character to me.