Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Always Rakzo

Default Death Metal #7 *Spoilers*

It turns out that the heroes can actually beat the impossible forces pretty easily.

I don't know what I was expecting from Scott Snyder... No, wait, I know what I was expecting, a poor and rushed conclusion just to set-up his own upcoming stories, that's how he rolls and sadly, nothing changed here.

But let's talk about some of the biggest problems here, how quick and easy the heroes actually beat the overpowered villains. Don't get me wrong, I have been waiting for Diana to take down Snyder's Villain Sue for a long time but it happens so abruptly with so much exposition because Snyder just needs to prepare us for "the next big thing" that is hardly satisfactory, we don't even see the Batman who Laughs being properly destroyed and I just wanted him to die in the worst and most humilliating way possible (and I'm afraid this means he will be back in some way in the future). Ditto the most of powerful of the Dark Supermen who gets quickly out of the story, there's barely a fight here.

Speaking of which and speaking as a Wally fan, I think Snyder might have something against the character, or at least about the recent portrayals of him. Barry tells Metron Wally that he's just "a bad idea" (and really, Snyder is the last person with the right to talk about bad ideas) while other characters tell him "Now who is the slow one!" because I guess Snyder is bitter about Wally beating the Batman who Laughs in Speed Metal. Dear Lord.

Now about the plot, there's barely anything since is just a big and fast fight with tons of narration telling what's coming next, then a party to fill-up space and then even more narration with characters patronizingly explaining to Wally the new status quo (again that bad portrayal and again that predictable set-up) as a trailer for future stories and events and this is just too tiring.

Oh, and how about that idea of "Everything happened!"? Yeah, you're not the first one to do that Snyder, you won't be the last and you most certainly are not the one who did it best.

Greg Capullo's artwork was fantastic at least, Yanick Paquette and Bryan Hitch also did good during their respective sections although their different styles are a bit jarring.

Aside from that, this is yet another frustrating conclusion from the master of frustrating conclusions. Someone really needs to tell Snyder to shake-up his formula.

Incredible Member

Kinda get the feeling you don't like Snyder. Not sure if I am picking that up correctly or not... but, to each their own! (Full disclosure: I thought his JL run was mostly not-good to awful. Just trying to do too much, to me. But, in general, I really enjoy his work. Batman run, Dick-as-Batman in Detective, American Vampire, The Wake.)
    I got the impression the "bad idea" comment was more about the concept of turning Wally into a cosmically powered being, not about Wally himself. Which, I totally agree with, if that was the intent of that dialogue.

I guess I just enjoyed it for the big, over-the-top, bombastic, story it was. I wasn't expecting a comic's literary masterpiece. And Wally, to me anyway, was left in a much better place than he was before: all the cosmic/ManhattanFlash nonsense was wiped away, he "made peace" with Roy, and seems poised to have a relatively prominent role going forward, if we are to read in to his presence with the other characters towards the end.

And there was no way, in any sense, they were going to eliminate the Batman Who Laughs. Was not gonna happen. I'm kinda glad they didn't go down the road of, "Well, Batman Who Laughs is dead, glad that's over with!", because you know it would be BS.
    Last edited by sbp1972; 01-05-2021 at 06:24 AM.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by sbp1972 View Post
    Kinda get the feeling you don't like Snyder.
    Where do you even get that idea?

And I used to like Snyder but his writing is always the same.

BANNED

The Ending was rather solid, I like it.
    However, Secret Origin would have been a better ending.
    The fight between Golden Wonder Woman and Batman Who Laughs is pretty cool,
    I guess throwing him into the sun is a callback to Superman throwing Anti-Monitor into the sun?

If there's something I felt like lacking, a Multiversal Assembly of Superheroes.
    Sure, seeing all Earth's heroes was neat, and there was Ultraman and Prime.
    But damn it would have been nice to have Final Crisis moment of Multiverse Supermen charging,
    or even Metal's Multiversal Batmen fighting the Dark Knights of Dark Multiverse.
    Like the premise of the Event was Multiverse vs Dark Multiverse, and we only got Earth vs Dark Multiverse, pity.

The only good thing of the issue is that the event is finally over.

I don't dislike it, but the first metal event was better and more enjoyable. I agree that the ending was solid.

One thing though. If a certain scene was indeed a dig at certain people, then this is a pretty immature and unprofessional thing to do. Whatever issues they had, they should keep them between them and not share it with the fans in a pretty indirect and sneaky way.
    “Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving.”
    – Dale Carnegie

Calling it: the Elseworld is DC's backup in case Future State doesn't work for another crack at a younger and hipper Trinity.

Also, poor Donna Troy and Hawkman presumably remembers all their origins at once.

Incredible Member

Over the spring and summer I sat down and went through Metal, No Justice, Snyder's Justice League, Hell Arisen, and all the peripheral titles to Year of the Villain like Batman/Superman, etc. And you know? I actually kind of enjoyed myself. Somehow though, Death Metal was just an absolute slog and has none of the magic of the original. I guess I am just so sick to death of Snyder's writing style and the Batman Who Laughs as a character. As OP said, Snyder is not the first person to tell us that everything happened and all this ending does is make DC's continuity even more impenetrable than it already was, which is quite an astounding feat. All in all, I have never found myself more disinterested in the future of the DC Universe. I dunno.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Calling it: the Elseworld is DC's backup in case Future State doesn't work for another crack at a younger and hipper Trinity.

Also, poor Donna Troy and Hawkman presumably remembers all their origins at once.
    Might as well call it elseworlds now, Possible future stories are always never canon.

Eh. Can't say I liked it. As usual with these crisis events, it wasn't a real story in itself. The whole purpose of the issue was to set up the new status quo. For some reason Snyder thinks all the metatext will make the book feel like it has more substance than it actually does, but it gets very tiring after a while.
    As for the new status... why can't DC offer a clear direction for once. I felt it was all just needlessly confusing.
    But I guess everything counts now somehow and the multiverse is restored. So that's kinda good if they actually do something with it. I can't see a single Elseworld working, but let's see what they mean to do there.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Eh. Can't say I liked it. As usual with these crisis events, it wasn't a real story in itself. The whole purpose of the issue was to set up the new status quo. For some reason Snyder thinks all the metatext will make the book feel like it has more substance than it actually does, but it gets very tiring after a while.
    As for the new status... why can't DC offer a clear direction for once. I felt it was all just needlessly confusing.
    But I guess everything counts now somehow and the multiverse is restored. So that's kinda good if they actually do something with it. I can't see a single Elseworld working, but let's see what they mean to do there.
    I agree.

Personally, I'm a little tired of the "this event restores everything to the way it ever was and ever will be" only for things to re-jigged a few years down the line.

A clear direction is needed. It's like DC is literally throwing up everything in the air and seeing where stuff lands.

I've advocated for a long time going back to an Earth-One/Earth-Two pre Crisis set up, only reversed. Where what is considered the main verse today is the older veteran heroes with lots of legacy, and the companion is the younger, "newer" one. If this is a potential hint of that, if that's what this Elseworld is, I would be so happy. It would fit the "opposite" mantra in a sense. It doesn't necessarily have to mean Earth-3 type of opposite, rather the sense that where one Earth is old and vast with tons of history, another is just starting.

I mean, what are the odds of getting pretty much exactly what I've wanted for years? Let's just say I know in my head I shouldn't get my ducks in a row yet. Its just hard not to think about.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-05-2021 at 10:55 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I've advocated for a long time going back to an Earth-One/Earth-Two pre Crisis set up, only reversed. Where what is considered the main verse today is the older veteran heroes with lots of legacy, and the companion is the younger, "newer" one. If this is a potential hint of that, if that's what this Elseworld is, I would be so happy. It would fit the "opposite" mantra in a sense. It doesn't necessarily have to mean Earth-3 type of opposite, rather the sense that where one Earth is old and vast with tons of history, another is just starting.

I mean, what are the odds of getting pretty much exactly what I've wanted for years? Let's just say I know in my head I shouldn't get my ducks in a row yet. Its just hard not to think about.
    Say they did as you say, I feel like they'd be starting afresh with a "new" younger crew of heroes as opposed to the very specific one you've been championing to return.

I would have thought that if this had happened without Future State being a thing. As that's already the place for a legitimately new young crew, and we know now that concept is not just going away after February, that whatever their ultimate plans are that FS isn't just filler.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-05-2021 at 11:08 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I would have thought that if this had happened without Future State being a thing. As that's already the place for a legitimately new young crew, and we know now that concept is not just going away after February, that whatever their ultimate plans are that FS isn't just filler.
    Honestly, I have been wanting to read a young Superman monthly for a while now. I love the Rebirth Superman but I want both to enjoy on the regular. However, if FS moves to this new Elseworld, it's might be this new Jon and while I love him, I really want a younger Clark more.