Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Eh. Can't say I liked it. As usual with these crisis events, it wasn't a real story in itself. The whole purpose of the issue was to set up the new status quo.
    Exactly.

In another thread, somebody compared this to Snyder writing a half-assed riff on Hickman's "Secret Wars". That event also ended by being undone (along with Hickman's "Avengers") with less explication.

But, Hickman's run did more than destroy multiple universes (yet again). Hickman put the heroes in a no-win scenario, and managed to make it readable and excruciating. Snyder went for cheap shock-value, and achieved predictable tedium.

Some people have said that "Metal" would have worked if DC were not trashing the universe on a regular basis. And, yes, the end of everything should be a bigger deal.

But, Snyder also wrote with the grace and style of a 14 year old trying to be "edgy". (Do the kids still say " edgy"?)

Nobody thought that Marvel was going to let Hickman cancel Marvel's whole line. But, it read well enough to still be worth reading. (Compare the briefcase scene in "Evolve or Die" with Wonder Woman saying she is going to kick the Laughing Batman's ass.)
    Current pull-file: Batman the Detective, Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight, Marvel Dark Ages, Nightwing, Superman Son of Kal-El, Transformers, Transformers: King Grimlock, Warhammer 40,000 Sisters of Battle
    -----------------------------
    - http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Honestly, I have been wanting to read a young Superman monthly for a while now. I love the Rebirth Superman but I want both to enjoy on the regular. However, if FS moves to this new Elseworld, it's might be this new Jon and while I love him, I really want a younger Clark more.
    I thought of that, if Elseworld would just end up being the home of the FS concept, but its personally not what I think they're going for. I think they're genuinely trying to make FS a thing on the main Earth, giving a taste of the idea in these next two months and then working toward that process in actual present day continuity. And see if it works. If it doesn't work, that's another discussion, but my gut tells me the gradual process of moving to a generalized Future State status quo is the goal there. Which would then make a lot of sense to me if Elseworld was a place to have another Clark, Bruce, Diana and co.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I thought of that, if Elseworld would just end up being the home of the FS concept, but its personally not what I think they're going for. I think they're genuinely trying to make FS a thing on the main Earth, giving a taste of the idea in these next two months and then working toward that process in actual present day continuity. And see if it works. If it doesn't work, that's another discussion, but my gut tells me the gradual process of moving to a generalized Future State status quo is the goal there. Which would then make a lot of sense to me if Elseworld was a place to have another Clark, Bruce, Diana and co.
    I doubt that's gonna happen or else why would they bother cancelling 5g if they were just gonna continue it anyway.

Fantastic Member

Did Lobo make it out the other end?

Quote Originally Posted by kf26 View Post
    I doubt that's gonna happen or else why would they bother cancelling 5g if they were just gonna continue it anyway.
    They cancelled Didio's version of 5G. But its becoming increasingly obvious that they're indeed carrying out some of the base ideas. Why? I couldn't answer that for sure, but maybe they liked the end result but not Didio's idea to jump right into it? Just a thought but at the end of the day I don't know for sure. But things we do know is that Future State is not just a filler event, its more meaningful than that. We know that Jon is going to become a Superman in main canon. We know Diana is in Valhalla and that Yara is going to be introduced to main canon. We know Tim Fox is indeed going to eventually don a Batman costume in main canon. So signs are there.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-05-2021 at 12:26 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Spectacular Member

So given the ‘planet hurling’ at the beginning of the issue, would it be safe to assume that SB Prime didn’t destroy The Last 52 in Secret Origin? Also, is it to be taken that the ending to Secret Origin takes place in the final few pages of DM 7?

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Exactly.

In another thread, somebody compared this to Snyder writing a half-assed riff on Hickman's "Secret Wars". That event also ended by being undone (along with Hickman's "Avengers") with less explication.

But, Hickman's run did more than destroy multiple universes (yet again). Hickman put the heroes in a no-win scenario, and managed to make it readable and excruciating. Snyder went for cheap shock-value, and achieved predictable tedium.

But, Snyder also wrote with the grace and style of a 14 year old trying to be "edgy". (Do the kids still say " edgy"?)
    This guy gets it. I'm so glad this Metal horseshit is done.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    They cancelled Didio's version of 5G. But its becoming increasingly obvious that they're indeed carrying out some of the base ideas. Why? I couldn't answer that for sure, but maybe they liked the end result but not Didio's idea to jump right into it? Just a thought but at the end of the day I don't know for sure. But things we do know is that Future State is not just a filler event, its more meaningful than that. We know that Jon is going to become a Superman in main canon. We know Diana is in Valhalla and that Yara is going to be introduced to main canon. We know Tim Fox is indeed going to eventually don a Batman costume in main canon. So signs are there.
    Plans change all the time, i highly doubt Future State is still on their minds when the eventual next event comes out.
    Last edited by kf26; 01-05-2021 at 01:01 PM.

That just does not wash though with the information we currently have. All indications are that its very much still on their minds and a huge deal going forward. Trust me, in the event of the main line still being the only option, I'm not happy about it. But all the same there is what I consider pretty overwhelming evidence of Future State being relevant beyond February and into a return to the present day. In both their own word and stuff we're actually seeing being put to page.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-05-2021 at 01:32 PM.

Relevant to the discussion:
    Future State has been planned for a while in different ways and different formats, and what it became is really great. I'm really proud of the work that's gone into it, there are so many exciting ideas there and the glimpses of the future we're getting there, a lot of things are going to come to fruition in exciting ways that are parallel to what you're seeing in those stories. Some of them will come into fruition in different ways so you're not exactly seeing there because you'll see them echo into reality through the present. Some are things that will never happen but are almost haunting the book because they'll be the opposite of what's happening.
    https://www.cbr.com/interview-scott-...mpression=true

So some of the Future State explicitly won’t come to pass.

Yeah, I doubt FS will happen as it is initially presented. That has never been the case with this type of future stories.
    They will take the things that work and eventually incorporate them into the present (like Yara), but I don't think anyone should fear Bruce Wayne being replaced "permanently" by Jace Fox anymore. Even in FS Bruce also got a book of his own.
    Superman is a special case because DC don't seem to want Clark in the role anymore and Jon is basically a younger Clark anyway.

Oh yeah, that much I understand. Its not going to evolve into a direct continuation of what Future State will be over these next few months. I mean, in the first place current continuity won't move forward in time to match Future State anyway. What they've been making it sound like is that they'll be melding some ideas FS introduces into main canon in its own ways.

I honestly would have thought the future state would become a digital series or something set in its own timeline, I would assume following either the Next Batman or the future Justice League.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Relevant to the discussion:

https://www.cbr.com/interview-scott-...mpression=true

So some of the Future State explicitly won’t come to pass.
    I mean...crazed killer Wally West.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Batman plays bass?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014