Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Interesting detail:
    in the final page with Sgt Rock and JSA (what the hell gritty and realistic Sgt Rock has to do with superpowers is anybody's guess) there is no trace of Wonder Woman.
    I may be entirely wrong, but I guess that the plan of making Wonder Woman the first superbeing of the DCU is no more and we are 100% back to post-Crisis, pre-New 52 status, with the JSA appearing before the JLA but without major heroes from the Trinity.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Interesting detail:
    in the final page with Sgt Rock and JSA (what the hell gritty and realistic Sgt Rock has to do with superpowers is anybody's guess) there is no trace of Wonder Woman.
    I may be entirely wrong, but I guess that the plan of making Wonder Woman the first superbeing of the DCU is no more and we are 100% back to post-Crisis, pre-New 52 status, with the JSA appearing before the JLA but without major heroes from the Trinity.
    Sgt. Rock and the JSA probably teamed-up during WWII.

Wasn't there a big meeting between current Diana and Golden Age Diana in the issue? There's also supposedly a Golden Age flashback story in the upcoming, in-canon, Sensational Wonder Woman book.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Wow, what a disappointment.

This event was so bloated and overstuffed I really don't know what I was expecting.

I really enjoyed Snyder's Justice League because it read like a dumber version of Justice League the Animated Series and I was really excited to see Death Metal be a pin on his run but it totally failed on that - in retrospect it made his Justice League run utterly nonsensical and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

Wasn't there a big meeting between current Diana and Golden Age Diana in the issue? There's also supposedly a Golden Age flashback story in the upcoming, in-canon, Sensational Wonder Woman book.
    I don't think Sensational Wonder Woman is supposed to be in-canon with the main books.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I don't think Sensational Wonder Woman is supposed to be in-canon with the main books.
    I kind of assumed it was since they had modern Hawkgirl in there, but I guess they never specified?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Calling it: the Elseworld is DC's backup in case Future State doesn't work for another crack at a younger and hipper Trinity.

Also, poor Donna Troy and Hawkman presumably remembers all their origins at once.
    Donna already did, she said so in The Infected: Deathbringer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

The cover made it look like that, but 40s Diana was actually a member of Perpetua's species, the Hands, taking a form that Diana would recognise - her younger self.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Two things are bugging me, one of thrm is a nitpick and the other is legit:

1. Where are the people in this event? After the Earth's continents are reformed into the shape of a bat, what happened to the people of Earth? It would appear that the cosmic entities kept around the beings, good + evil, who could stop them but wiped out all the nobody humans? This happens a lot in event books, but at least in things like Final Night, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, you saw that regular people still existed, the heroes had people to fight for. I read every book connected to DM except for the JL mini arc, where were the people? And will they also remember all the times they've been rebooted?

2. I'm not sure I'm understanding the timing at work here....Death Metal restores everyone's memories and it appears the timeline shenanigans are over, until you pick up Generations: Shattered and time is broken once again. What is going on here? Can we get a month where time works as intended?
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

Quote Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
    Two things are bugging me, one of thrm is a nitpick and the other is legit:

1. Where are the people in this event? After the Earth's continents are reformed into the shape of a bat, what happened to the people of Earth? It would appear that the cosmic entities kept around the beings, good + evil, who could stop them but wiped out all the nobody humans? This happens a lot in event books, but at least in things like Final Night, Infinite Crisis, Final Crisis, you saw that regular people still existed, the heroes had people to fight for. I read every book connected to DM except for the JL mini arc, where were the people? And will they also remember all the times they've been rebooted?

2. I'm not sure I'm understanding the timing at work here....Death Metal restores everyone's memories and it appears the timeline shenanigans are over, until you pick up Generations: Shattered and time is broken once again. What is going on here? Can we get a month where time works as intended?
    1. This was actually answered in Multiverse's End I believe, Perpetua had all the people rounded up, put on alternate earths in the Multiverse, and used as antennas to harness the crisis energy.

2. Generations is so weird now. It was semi-tied into Death Metal before and was supposed to come out with free comic book day, then that all got cancelled and altered into two one-shots and future state happened and soon we will be getting Infinite Frontier......so no, we really do not know what is up with Generations at all. Probably won't know what is up until Generations is over.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I felt it was an ok ending. It explained the new status quo and even set up a doorway to the “everything happened” DCU. I found the The Legion Hall of Doom-Justice or whatever interesting as the gatekeepers of the new infinite frontier of stories. Calling the new mystery earth Elseworld was a nice touch.

I have to give it up to Snyder. Damian’s “last words” made me laugh out loud. One of the most Damian things he’s ever said.

This event went on far too long. Too many tie ins and way too many pages of the characters fighting wrong looking doppelgängers. Just to top off how bat-**** crazy this story has been, Diana kicks the literal hand of creation into TBWL. I still prefer Morrison’s version of the DCU mythology. We had no backstory on who these “Hands” being were and not a lot of info even in Synder’s Justice League about Perpetua besides the mother of the Monitors. Apparently there are Source creatures that are even more powerful than her. No idea.

I did have to roll my eyes a bit at having the ultimate evil character as the one who wanted a strict continuity and Diana was saying how wrong that would be and that letting everyone remember is the moral way. DC desperately trying to convince the readers that the “everything happened” way of doing business is the right choice.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-05-2021 at 07:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    1. This was actually answered in Multiverse's End I believe, Perpetua had all the people rounded up, put on alternate earths in the Multiverse, and used as antennas to harness the crisis energy.

2. Generations is so weird now. It was semi-tied into Death Metal before and was supposed to come out with free comic book day, then that all got cancelled and altered into two one-shots and future state happened and soon we will be getting Infinite Frontier......so no, we really do not know what is up with Generations at all. Probably won't know what is up until Generations is over.
    I don't think generations has any impact anymore. From the interviews, it sounds like after all the plane shake ups it's just a side story now.

Is it me or does Lex Luthor look like Brian Bendis in that Totality page drawn by Yanick Paquette? Lol

The team's concept has potential even if it seems derivative of Marvel's Quiet Council and Illuminati.
    I think Black Adam and Hippolyta could have been even better fits for this concept than the new JL. Circe and Doctor Fate as magical experts would have been cool too.
    I wonder if the line-up will expand?

I can’t believe I bought all the issues.

The writing was all over the place - I found it lacking in a lot of ways and some of it made me roll my eyes and groan. I appreciate the overall idea, but the execution was truly lacking. Snyder is no Moore, nor Morrison nor Hickman - and for something like this to work, the caliber of writing needs to be higher. I believe that I will think twice before I purchase another book by him.

But that’s just me.

In Death Metal #7, it says "the timeline was unknotted once and for all and all our memories returned", but I'm not sure what this means. Does this mean that the inhabitants of the DC Universe remember all of history starting with the Golden Age as something they "experienced"? Or does it mean that the inhabitants of the DC Universe have only "knowledge" of the history that began in the Golden Age, but have not experienced it?

Sorry if my English is not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by robotgarden View Post
    In Death Metal #7, it says "the timeline was unknotted once and for all and all our memories returned", but I'm not sure what this means. Does this mean that the inhabitants of the DC Universe remember all of history starting with the Golden Age as something they "experienced"? Or does it mean that the inhabitants of the DC Universe have only "knowledge" of the history that began in the Golden Age, but have not experienced it?

Sorry if my English is not clear.
    your english is fine bro, no worries. as for their memories, I think it's somewhere in the middle. I interpreted the ending as basically saying it's like reincarnation; they remember the major events all the way back to the silver age (golden age was a different earth) as something akin to "past" lives, largely through hypertime flashbacks.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    your english is fine bro, no worries. as for their memories, I think it's somewhere in the middle. I interpreted the ending as basically saying it's like reincarnation; they remember the major events all the way back to the silver age (golden age was a different earth) as something akin to "past" lives, largely through hypertime flashbacks.
    Agreed. I think it's basically giving creators carte blanche to use any part of the heroes past stories in their stories without needing to worry about whether or not its necessarily consistent with every other story that's been published over 8+ decades. As long as the internal continuity of the current stories remain consistent, their pasts can include any and all of their prior histories, even the ones that have since been invalidated.

For instance, the upcoming Superman writer has said that Jonathan Kent will know all about his utterly crazy childhood of being born in a bottled city from the Pre-Flashpoint Earth, moving to the New 52 Earth and growing up in secret under a different name and helping his parents merge with their younger doppelgangers, which revised all their histories so that everyone remembers them being around for that whole time.

I'm sure this will drive the continuity purists insane, but it's the best solution moving forward. Just let creators make the best stories they can without walling off huge chunks of their past history for whatever transitory edicts editorial has imposed this month. The movies and TV are operating using a similar approach. They all co-exist in the same Multiverse, but they don't need to be consistent with each other because they each operate within their own Earth. All the comics are doing is allowing the heroes to do that while co-existing on a singular Earth in which all their past, presents, and futures are malleable depending upon the needs of the stories.

DC isn't Marvel and shouldn't try to be.