Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CentralPower View Post
    Exactly.

In another thread, somebody compared this to Snyder writing a half-assed riff on Hickman's "Secret Wars". That event also ended by being undone (along with Hickman's "Avengers") with less explication.

But, Hickman's run did more than destroy multiple universes (yet again). Hickman put the heroes in a no-win scenario, and managed to make it readable and excruciating. Snyder went for cheap shock-value, and achieved predictable tedium.

Some people have said that "Metal" would have worked if DC were not trashing the universe on a regular basis. And, yes, the end of everything should be a bigger deal.

But, Snyder also wrote with the grace and style of a 14 year old trying to be "edgy". (Do the kids still say " edgy"?)

Nobody thought that Marvel was going to let Hickman cancel Marvel's whole line. But, it read well enough to still be worth reading. (Compare the briefcase scene in "Evolve or Die" with Wonder Woman saying she is going to kick the Laughing Batman's ass.)
    Agree. Reading through the first half, I was struck by how it was a poor man's Secret Wars. The WW vs BWL being larger than life and 'fighting across time' felt like a pale imitation of Black Panther with Infinity gauntlet vs Doom with beyond powers. This battle meant a lot less since, despite their unlimited power, they fought with just physical attacks (punches, tackles). When BP and Doom fought, their fight with their powers is portrayed across different forms, showcasing their actual identity.

This issue failed to rescue the downward arc of this story, but the worst thing for me is how consistently these artists exclude Tim Drake. All the scenes of the Batfamily, a nary a Tim Drake to be found. Even Duke Thomas and Bat Woman gets a panel.

Spectacular Member

As the center of multiverse is Elseworld,Prime earth is not metaverse anymore?

Incredible Member

they should just have superman sing the anti matter note of death ala final crisis to batman who stinks and end all the sheningans.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    As the center of multiverse is Elseworld,Prime earth is not metaverse anymore?
    Elseworld is the co-center alongside Earth 0.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Hi, Fellow Fans! I have not picked up any of the Metal books, at least not directly though it would seem all League books are dead facto part of that. My question is whether the writing and quality of the Metal series has been similar to what we saw in Snyder's league books. Does it wrap up that story?
    Death Metal is the continuation of Snyder's League. Dark Nights came before it.
    Dark Knights Metal > No Justice > Justice League > Death Metal

Quote Originally Posted by robotgarden View Post
    At first glance, it seems like a good thing that all their memories will come back to them, but in reality, it would be terrifying to be forced to remember that they are living a similar life over and over again. If they were suddenly informed, "Hey, your life wasn't like this," they would probably lose their minds. So I'm guessing that the inhabitants of the DC Universe remember their pre-reboot memories in some vague form, like a previous life. They would go crazy if they remembered it so vividly.
    See that's the kinda realistic thing I don't expect from a company whose most known treatment of mental health in their stories are a horror show mental hospital and murder mystery

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't get how you guys imagine this working.

So lets say we have Superman ongoing. Issue 5-8 are about Smallville with Superman visiting his parents and solving some local issues. Then few months later, lets say issues 12-18, are about some villain mocking Superman that he couldn't even save his parents so how he is going to save Earth/Universe/whatever? Really?
    Yes

I mean in issue whatever of Action Comics Rebirth they made Clark and Jor-El kinda reconcile before Dr. Manhattan pull it away

Then in the first issues of Bendis he's just back, no explanation

These things already happen. They're just giving a reason for it.

Don't imagine this as a future story material. It's an excuse for future inconsistency.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-06-2021 at 11:58 PM.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Sorry man, but can't you see how this fundamentally invalidates and weakens all of the emotional aspects of such a story within the regular series? It wouldn't be anymore about Superman remembering his dead father and the way he influenced Superman's life with his love and values. It would be about Superman remembering an alternate version of his father from a past life, whereas another version of his father is pretty much alive and close to him. It's convoluted, needlessly complicated and I really can't see how anyone could find it relatable. In real life, death happens only once, and it's definitive. Nobody remembers his or her own past life. And most of us are forced to mourn our parents sooner or later. What is relatable about Pa Kent's death is that Superman experiences what all of us experience sooner or later, and because the sense of loss is shared by every human beings. And again, it's definitive. What kind of bizarre mourning would Superman experience if his father is still alive?

And another question arises: why? Was making all of the conflicting continuities co-exist really necessary? I mean, it's not that an alternate story of Pa Kent's demise couldn't be told in a different continuity if they wanted to keep him alive in current continuity. We all remember and love All-Star Superman #06 and the fact that the story concerns an alternate version of Superman didn't make it less interesting or memorable.
    It all depends on how it's implemented. I would rather wait and see how this plays out than assume the worst before any stories have been actually told with this new approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Maybe I've been blessed in reading enough Post-Crisis, YJ, and the DCAU to think that DC doesn't do half a bad job at what Marvel seemingly does.
    When has DC's continuity ever been like Marvel's? Even with all the One More Days and Spider-Man Year Ones of it all, Marvel has never attempted the wholesale invalidation, erasure and rewriting of decades of its own published history like DC has been doing since 1945

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So,Metaverse is still Earth0?

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    So,Metaverse is still Earth0?
    Possibly. We don't really know anything at this point in terms of how this is all going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Calling it: the Elseworld is DC's backup in case Future State doesn't work for another crack at a younger and hipper Trinity.

Also, poor Donna Troy and Hawkman presumably remembers all their origins at once.
    OMG! Poor Donna! With the Dark Angel angle she must be the strongest willed hero ever to not have slipped into madness with all of that rattling aboush in her head

Incredible Member

I am just hoping this is the last we see of the Batman Who Laughs as to me he’s long outstayed his welcome by now. TBH I was pretty fed up by the whole Metal storyline.
    Last edited by Top Hat; 01-07-2021 at 04:27 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Calling it: the Elseworld is DC's backup in case Future State doesn't work for another crack at a younger and hipper Trinity.

Also, poor Donna Troy and Hawkman presumably remembers all their origins at once.
    I'm confused cuz I thought Hawkman recalled all his origins in his solo unless it was just his reincarnations in post-Metal timeline.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    When has DC's continuity ever been like Marvel's? Even with all the One More Days and Spider-Man Year Ones of it all, Marvel has never attempted the wholesale invalidation, erasure and rewriting of decades of its own published history like DC has been doing since 1945
    I mean, Marvel has done their fair share of pretending stuff didn't happen or retconning stuff out, they've just done it without noticeable, on-panel, reboots.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    I am just hoping this is the last we see of the Batman Who Laughs as to me he’s long outstayed his welcome by now. TBH I was pretty fed up by the whole Metal storyline.
    He’s getting benched for now but he can always come back. There are no plans in the near future to feature him however, and with Snyder tacking a back seat for a while I think you can feel certain he won’t be back in 2021 at least.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I'm confused cuz I thought Hawkman recalled all his origins in his solo unless it was just his reincarnations in post-Metal timeline.
    He does in Venditti’s run yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Actually, from the comic it states the main DCU isn't the center of the Multiverse anymore, but there are now 2 Earths in place that are the centers. One is the Elseworld Universe which apparently has an Earth while the other we don't know a thing about.