Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, Marvel has done their fair share of pretending stuff didn't happen or retconning stuff out, they've just done it without noticeable, on-panel, reboots.
    What Marvel does and what DC does can't be compared. DC has made an absolute mess of their timeline, where Marvel has stuck to their continuity. Anything from Marvel's long history can be mentioned in an issue today no problem, because continuity hasn't been rebooted like 6 times since it's conception and nothing will conflict. They've done retcon sure, absolutely nothing that compares to DC though.

Quote Originally Posted by GSman View Post
    What Marvel does and what DC does can't be compared. DC has made an absolute mess of their timeline, where Marvel has stuck to their continuity. Anything from Marvel's long history can be mentioned in an issue today no problem, because continuity hasn't been rebooted like 6 times since it's conception and nothing will conflict. They've done retcon sure, absolutely nothing that compares to DC though.
    I mean, not all of Marvel's stuff holds up under the sliding timescale so it can get confusing in its own way, they just don't have as much of an issue with reboots and multiple continuities.

Marvel usually doesn't have events about how someone punched multiverse really hard and caused continuity changes. So inconsistencies are usually easier to ignore.

I mean, not all of Marvel's stuff holds up under the sliding timescale so it can get confusing in its own way, they just don't have as much of an issue with reboots and multiple continuities.
    That's the nature of comics it's a never ending, and always continues. That's no fault of Marvel's though. They do well enough in keeping their continuity in check, which I salute them for.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Batman plays bass?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Bruce can literally do everything because he's a plot device, not a character. He picked up the bass between word balloons.

I mean, Marvel has done their fair share of pretending stuff didn't happen or retconning stuff out, they've just done it without noticeable, on-panel, reboots.
    Yeah, Marvel just drops stuff and moves on or pretends it was on a very specifically similar Earth in the multiverse but don't worry because it totes wasn't 616.

DC is obsessed with doing it on panel.

That's the nature of comics it's a never ending, and always continues. That's no fault of Marvel's though. They do well enough in keeping their continuity in check, which I salute them for.
    They run a tight ship when it suits them (and depending on the writer) .

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Marvel usually doesn't have events about how someone punched multiverse really hard and caused continuity changes. So inconsistencies are usually easier to ignore.
    This. They just tell the nerds to suck it up and deal with it. Hickman is never going to explain how mutants went from where they were at the end of Rosenberg’s Uncanny to where they were during House of X, even though it doesn’t really make sense for Cyclops or the rest to so easily fall back in step to Xavier’s tune.

Spectacular Member

Actually, from the comic it states the main DCU isn't the center of the Multiverse anymore, but there are now 2 Earths in place that are the centers. One is the Elseworld Universe which apparently has an Earth while the other we don't know a thing about.
    So,Metaverse is now Alpha earth and other earth?
    Or, We should not confuse setting with metafictional concept like Metaverse?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Yes, but nothing remotely on the scale that DC has been doing. The two companies just have completely difference approaches towards their continuity.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, Marvel just drops stuff and moves on or pretends it was on a very specifically similar Earth in the multiverse but don't worry because it totes wasn't 616.
    See at Hank Pym. Who constant get bring up about the slap.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LAWtoyoto 432 View Post
    See at Hank Pym. Who constant get bring up about the slap.
    Oh they will rub salt in those wounds all the time, but retcons? Generally Marvel either One More Days the whole shebang or just ignores it and asks you do too. I'm not criticizing, mind. I wish DC would do it sometimes.

Heroes in Crisis? What's that?

I started reading DC (and comics in general) in the middle of new 52. So after Convergence and Multiversity I heard people referring to Crisis on Infinite Earths and went and found a TPB copy to read and was just amazed at the care and attention Marv Wolfman brought to a story that was on that scale. I had never read anything about those characters history up to that point but I was able to easily understand what was going on and appreciated the closure to the end of their storylines.

So after that I read Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis and while not as good as the original each of them was a logical follow-up to the original and like the original was almost a 'time capsule' of how characters were written during those periods. Multiversity also made a whole lot more sense after FC.

I followed that with Zero Hour and Flashpoint since I heard they are not technically a Crisis and while not as strong as IC or FC they were mostly entertaining with Zero Hour being the 'worst' of the bunch.

I can say without any kind of hesitation that Dark Nights: Death Metal was the worst version of these kind of Crisis books. It lacked focus on its own narrative, it lacked care for all the characters and storylines involved and instead was far more interested in showing off how 'rock and roll' it was.

IF this is the level of quality that can be expected going forward under DC's top writers then I hope we do not have another 'Crisis' level event for a very very very long time, if ever, under their watch.

Quote Originally Posted by JamJams View Post
    I started reading DC (and comics in general) in the middle of new 52. So after Convergence and Multiversity I heard people referring to Crisis on Infinite Earths and went and found a TPB copy to read and was just amazed at the care and attention Marv Wolfman brought to a story that was on that scale. I had never read anything about those characters history up to that point but I was able to easily understand what was going on and appreciated the closure to the end of their storylines.

So after that I read Infinite Crisis and Final Crisis and while not as good as the original each of them was a logical follow-up to the original and like the original was almost a 'time capsule' of how characters were written during those periods. Multiversity also made a whole lot more sense after FC.

I followed that with Zero Hour and Flashpoint since I heard they are not technically a Crisis and while not as strong as IC or FC they were mostly entertaining with Zero Hour being the 'worst' of the bunch.

I can say without any kind of hesitation that Dark Nights: Death Metal was the worst version of these kind of Crisis books. It lacked focus on its own narrative, it lacked care for all the characters and storylines involved and instead was far more interested in showing off how 'rock and roll' it was.

IF this is the level of quality that can be expected going forward under DC's top writers then I hope we do not have another 'Crisis' level event for a very very very long time, if ever, under their watch.
    You’re in luck then, Scott Snyder is stepping down from leading the line after DM. It’s a bunch of new writers and new editors who will be taking over.

I kinda liked Issue 7, but, here’s my deal: DC better impress me going forward for the next six months, or I’ll drop em like it’s 2011 all over again.

Mighty Member

I know I'm late to read this comic.So I just finished it and I love it Everything matters.I hope they will keep everyone from the past issues like jimmy is the boss of the dally planet .Superman identity reveled. Im a little beyond on my comics.I need to read future state and generations