Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Wolverine has the best/most intricate vampire storyline marvel has had in years

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    Wolverine has the best/most intricate vampire storyline marvel has had in years
    eh it's fine, but the basic premise is the same one we've seen multiple times about Vampires trying to walk in the sunlight

Unless they switch things up next issue, I feel like I know where this story is heading.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    eh it's fine, but the basic premise is the same one we've seen multiple times about Vampires trying to walk in the sunlight

Unless they switch things up next issue, I feel like I know where this story is heading.
    I think they're doing a better job of setting up the politics of the universe. Instead of an all-our war that erases the vampire nation (which has happened multiple times) it seems they're doing a better job of setting them up as a longer term threat. They're also building the threat with Krakoa trying to manufacture a war between the Dracla and vampire nation and Death and Sevelith, which puts Blade in an interesting position as the UN appointed sheriff. It's doing a good job of world-building instead of just throwing away all the development they've done in one arc like Curse of the Mutants did.

Tracks you need to pick up Immortal Hulk #47

spoilers:
    Blade says on panel he cannot turn into a Bat. It's officially. I win the debate
    end of spoilers

your welcome
    The J-man

Mighty Member

I definitely read it. I think its a contradiction. I think Ewing tried to smooth it over, but clearly had no idea Aaron was going to have Blade turning into a bat in the same month this issue released. I think at this point we have to acknowledge it's in his powerset even if he chooses not to do it for some reason.

No. Blade has a significant publication history and for the vast majority of his character, it's shown he can't turn into a bat (across multiple mediums).

The first instance was in Uncanny Avengers, where Mojo made his own Supernatural Avengers and there's a question if that was even the real Dr. Strange, Satana, and Blade and not just creations for that false reality.

The other example is Heroes Reborn a universe made by Mephisto where characters are vastly altered. Some of the Squadron Supreme is much stronger. Blade's history and background has changed

There is no reason to assume Blade can turn into a bat or mist. Do you know how many times he's been chained or locked up? If he could have turn into a bat or mist then he would have. It makes no sense for him not to. I think you and a few others are grasping at two examples but ignoring the context. It's something you can throw on a feat/respect thread but it's not really in his wheelhouse.

I give Aaron a wide pass because I'm a big Blade fan and I love that he's included in the Avengers, but he's written Blade and others on the team OOC at times. So I think it's more likely Ewing's showing is more consistent with current Blade since it matches the established canon, whereas Aaron simply likens Blade to a vampire and just throws in things here and there.

No cap, I think Ewing has a better understanding of Blade's character than Aaron does. Heck, I even think Tini Howard did a slightly better job than Aaron with Blade's voice.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

This isn't new in comics though. There are characters that have unclear power sets and so you see different writers switch them up at times because of how unclear they are. Sometimes wonder woman is written as bullet proof sometimes she's not, sometimes Angela can fly sometimes she's can't. They have Wolverine a power upgrade where his claws came out heated and that just suddenly vanished. This is clearly a case where some writers think he can turn into a bat and some can't. Re: his history, obviously ther have been times where he should've used it and didn't but there have been times where his other powers would have made sense and didn't work.

You bring up the fact that he was chained, among other writers he has been strong enough to break metal chains, under others he doesn't really have super strength. In some issues he can take bullet wounds and getting stabbed, in others he needs stitches after getting shot. In some cases he's incredible at understanding what kind of magic is around in others he just thinks everything is a vampire (i.e. this hulk issue, where he just assumes hulk is a vampire even though in the past he's been great at telling the difference between demons).

So Blade's powers have never been consistent. Re: the uncanny avengers, its never said that MOJO created new characters and the issue ends with Blaze going back to being Ghost Rider in the 616 and all the other characters being left alone in the 616 with the narration saying this story probably wouldn't affect them at all. In the story, it's said that they were captured by "slavers" which means they 100% weren't created by MOJO. Honestly the only narrative argument you could make is whatever augmentation MOJO describes in that issue is what increased Blade's power, because AFTER that issue he mentions in Deadpool the gauntlet that he's able to turn into a vampire bat.

Re: heroes reborn, the only difference is that they never found captain America and Blade only has memories of the past, so if he couldn't turn into a bat in the 616, he wouldn't know how to do it in heroes reborn. I think its been established that vampires do need a bit of training to learn all their abilities (remember when Blade taught Spitfire how to heal), so I just don't see there being a reasonable explanation other than the fact that some writers just disagree.

Honestly easiest thing would be to just ask the writers how they explain the discrepancy. I've been looking for their contact info. I've found them to be pretty responsive (I've gotten plenty of emails back from Marc Guggenheim and Victor Gischler in the past).

Re: Blade's voice I'll go Ewing, Aaron, then Howard. Something about her Blade felt a bit shallow.

Mighty Member

Blade's in another team book

For hundreds of years, scholars and heroes alike have searched for the Darkhold—AKA the Book of the Damned, written by the elder god Chthon. Now Doctor Doom, one of the greatest sorcerers in the Multiverse has found it, and Chthon has found him. To save them all, the Scarlet Witch recruits a group of the world’s greatest heroes: Iron Man, Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), Black Bolt, Blade, and Spider-Man. But in order to enter Chthon's dimension and fight him, the heroes must read from the legendary Darkhold, which drives them utterly insane. Together, they’ll have to confront their inner darkness to overcome of the most powerful mystical threats the Marvel Universe has ever faced.

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...1-announcement

hopefully Blade's story can feature some spellcasting from Blade. I'm sure he's done some stuff over the years.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    hopefully Blade's story can feature some spellcasting from Blade. I'm sure he's done some stuff over the years.
    Yea, they've had him explaining magic and chi a bunch of times, he has to have at least a basic understanding of how to use it. I was thinking initially that maybe he hates magic too much to use it but he has no issue teaching other people how to use it to help.

Spectacular Member

I wonder if they will acknowledge Blade and Dooms history

Mighty Member

We'll see, it wasn't referenced in Strikeforce but that was a doombot.

Also Blade's fighting Nighthawk this week. I'm hoping Aaron delivers.

Not sure how this fight will play out. My guess is it will be inconclusive. In terms of fighting and battle prowess, Aaron's done a good job with Blade, so maybe he gets the W, but his Nighthawk is pretty formidable and I don't see Nighthawk taking an L the way Aaron's been writing him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    This isn't new in comics though. There are characters that have unclear power sets and so you see different writers switch them up at times because of how unclear they are. Sometimes wonder woman is written as bullet proof sometimes she's not, sometimes Angela can fly sometimes she's can't. They have Wolverine a power upgrade where his claws came out heated and that just suddenly vanished. This is clearly a case where some writers think he can turn into a bat and some can't. Re: his history, obviously ther have been times where he should've used it and didn't but there have been times where his other powers would have made sense and didn't work.

You bring up the fact that he was chained, among other writers he has been strong enough to break metal chains, under others he doesn't really have super strength. In some issues he can take bullet wounds and getting stabbed, in others he needs stitches after getting shot. In some cases he's incredible at understanding what kind of magic is around in others he just thinks everything is a vampire (i.e. this hulk issue, where he just assumes hulk is a vampire even though in the past he's been great at telling the difference between demons).

So Blade's powers have never been consistent. Re: the uncanny avengers, its never said that MOJO created new characters and the issue ends with Blaze going back to being Ghost Rider in the 616 and all the other characters being left alone in the 616 with the narration saying this story probably wouldn't affect them at all. In the story, it's said that they were captured by "slavers" which means they 100% weren't created by MOJO. Honestly the only narrative argument you could make is whatever augmentation MOJO describes in that issue is what increased Blade's power, because AFTER that issue he mentions in Deadpool the gauntlet that he's able to turn into a vampire bat.

Re: heroes reborn, the only difference is that they never found captain America and Blade only has memories of the past, so if he couldn't turn into a bat in the 616, he wouldn't know how to do it in heroes reborn. I think its been established that vampires do need a bit of training to learn all their abilities (remember when Blade taught Spitfire how to heal), so I just don't see there being a reasonable explanation other than the fact that some writers just disagree.

Honestly easiest thing would be to just ask the writers how they explain the discrepancy. I've been looking for their contact info. I've found them to be pretty responsive (I've gotten plenty of emails back from Marc Guggenheim and Victor Gischler in the past).

Re: Blade's voice I'll go Ewing, Aaron, then Howard. Something about her Blade felt a bit shallow.
    Having inconsistent stats is different from introducing wildly new and different powers. Spider-Man's strength in speed might vary under different writers. But if he starts suddenly biting people with venom fangs, fans aren't just gonna go, "Well he's got Spider powers so it makes sense."

You can introduce certain new elements to a character in a manner that makes sense. If Batman has a new gadget or martial arts skill for a certain situation that fits his character. If he suddenly has superpowers without an explanation it doesn't. If Wonder Woman's got a new magical weapon it's not a huge leap. Aaron gave Blade a hellfire shotgun and even a breathing gun and it wasn't a stretch. "Blade" having a sixth sense for supernatural things, is not new, and fits. Blade sucking the poison out of Ghost Rider was not a huge stretch either those are all plot points longtime readers can accept.

As you mentioned, Blade's speed, strength, healing, durability, and skill might fluctuate among writers. This is partly due to the soft reboot Marvel made over several years when he became a dhampir in reaction to the movies. First, they went with the Morbius bite, now Marvel canon says he was always a dhampir following in the footsteps of the movies. Good decision. It also has to do with the inconsistent nature Marvel writers treat vampires. Editors don't enforce any consistency for Marvel vampires, outside of Dracula (sometimes). However, we are talking about a long pre-established character in Blade. As a writer, if you suddenly give She-Huk or Superman or Spider-Man or Hulk drastically new and different powers there is an explanation often an in-story explanation. So once again, stat fluctuations are vastly different than introducing a new ability.

When Spider-Man got organic web slingers and talons there was a storyline. When Superman got electric powers there was a storyline behind it. She-Hulk and Hulk currently have some new abilities and it's been acknowledged in the story.

For a good 20 years Blade's relative look, abilities, and modus operandi have been the same. There might be tweaks but it stays within his character.

Also, you cannot be taking that joke from Deadpool the Gauntlet seriously. After trying to kill the Succubus and getting hypnotized and left on that train Blade and Deadpool team up and they are just having banter with one another.

In all of Blade's comic history, he has one other random instance of turning into a bat in a dubious storyline never referenced again. Then years later we see him do it again for the second time in a reality altered/time-warped world. And you want to apply this to normal 616 Blade?

Last edited by Jabare; 06-21-2021 at 09:30 PM.
    The J-man

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post

Not sure how this fight will play out. My guess is it will be inconclusive. In terms of fighting and battle prowess, Aaron's done a good job with Blade, so maybe he gets the W, but his Nighthawk is pretty formidable and I don't see Nighthawk taking an L the way Aaron's been writing him.

Having inconsistent stats is different from introducing wildly new and different powers. Spider-Man's strength in speed might vary under different writers. But if he starts suddenly biting people with venom fangs, fans aren't just gonna go, "Well he's got Spider powers so it makes sense."

You can introduce certain new elements to a character in a manner that makes sense. If Batman has a new gadget or martial arts skill for a certain situation that fits his character. If he suddenly has superpowers without an explanation it doesn't. If Wonder Woman's got a new magical weapon it's not a huge leap. Aaron gave Blade a hellfire shotgun and even a breathing gun and it wasn't a stretch. "Blade" having a sixth sense for supernatural things, is not new, and fits. Blade sucking the poison out of Ghost Rider was not a huge stretch either those are all plot points longtime readers can accept.

As you mentioned, Blade's speed, strength, healing, durability, and skill might fluctuate among writers. This is partly due to the soft reboot Marvel made over several years when he became a dhampir in reaction to the movies. First, they went with the Morbius bite, now Marvel canon says he was always a dhampir following in the footsteps of the movies. Good decision. It also has to do with the inconsistent nature Marvel writers treat vampires. Editors don't enforce any consistency for Marvel vampires, outside of Dracula (sometimes). However, we are talking about a long pre-established character in Blade. As a writer, if you suddenly give She-Huk or Superman or Spider-Man or Hulk drastically new and different powers there is an explanation often an in-story explanation. So once again, stat fluctuations are vastly different than introducing a new ability.

When Spider-Man got organic web slingers and talons there was a storyline. When Superman got electric powers there was a storyline behind it. She-Hulk and Hulk currently have some new abilities and it's been acknowledged in the story.

For a good 20 years Blade's relative look, abilities, and modus operandi have been the same. There might be tweaks but it stays within his character.

Also, you cannot be taking that joke from Deadpool the Gauntlet seriously. After trying to kill the Succubus and getting hypnotized and left on that train Blade and Deadpool team up and they are just having banter with one another.

In all of Blade's comic history, he has one other random instance of turning into a bat in a dubious storyline never referenced again. Then years later we see him do it again for the second time in a reality altered/time-warped world. And you want to apply this to normal 616 Blade?

I'm thinking Blade does significant damage. He had Blade say "there's no way you could lay a hand on me without losing it" and I have a feeling Aaron is going to want to deliver a pay-off to that.

To the rest of your post, I wasn't talking about just inconsistent stats, but writers literally disagreeing with what Blade is. Like you've noted it before, Aaron very much considers Blade a vampire, whereas you could tell Guggenheim was writing him based more on how limited his powers were before the movies (Guggenheim's Blade can't break handcuffs, gets knocked out by a rubber bullet to the chest, can only survive a stab wound cause it doesn't hit vital organs, and has a scar on his face that lasts a day allowing Doom to recognize a prophecy). Ewing is clearly in-between, acknowledges Blade's abilities, but only those that he's had historically. So the inconsistency with Blade isn't really analogous to some writers shifting on how super strong Spiderman is, it's more some writers literally not thinking he has super powers. That's what I meant. It's not that his healing fluctuates, some writers didn't think he had a healing factor. And this is more of THAT kind of inconsistency, where Aaron is clearly just thinking "well if Blade is a vampire, and Marvel vampires can turn into a bat, Blade should turn into a bat", whereas Ewing who considers marvel history far more (like he's one of the last writers to actually acknowledge Blade's history and prior stories) was thinking more like you are "Blade has been in all these stories where it would have helped him to turn into a bat and hasn't....therefore he doesn't know how/can't".

I think we're saying the same thing, but what I'm saying is because Blade has been written so inconsistently I don't think it's outlandish that this happened AND I'm not going to be surprised when it happens again. And I don't think we can use "alternate universe" as an explanation for why these things happened because the Uncanny Avengers storyline is explicitly still within the 616, and Heroes Reborn explicitly noted that Blade is one of the only heroes with all his memories of the prior world in-tact, so there's no real reason to think the universe made him a more powerful vampire and he never suggests that either.

If we wanted an in-story explanation, I think that Uncanny Avengers storyline probably offers a rationale, because when the heroes are kidnapped it's said that they're being augmented prior to the fight. Then we see Blade turn into a bat for the first time. It'd also give us an in-story explanation for why Blade is being written in recent years as stronger (tanking Mjolnir to the chest then impaling Ghost Rider Thor, jumping two stories and kicking that hell-hound through the ceiling, tearing weremonsters apart limb from limb with his bare hands, etc.) All that to say, I think Blade's abilities have been so variable from writer to writer, it makes sense that someone would eventually extend the full scope of marvel's vampiric abilities to him and that logically someone could create an in-universe explanation for when such abilities emerged. There are also clearly writers who understand his powers differently and write it as such.

I'm gonna keep calling BS if Blade ever turns into a Bat or mist. It's one thing if he is SwitchBlade or gets that Boy-Thing power up then I'll let it go, but there should be editors for these types of thing.

Blade's about to get a new movie. There should be some level of consistency.

If you're going to do something so substantial and give him new abilities it should be acknowledged in the story. I don't want them to inspector gadget him with a bunch of powers then ignore those powers in future issues. I think Blade is great the way he is.

Super speed, super strength, healing, bloodthirst (which the comics tend to ignore so whatever), and his supernatural sixth sense. As I've mentioned before, the only other power I was okay with since it's subtle was hypnosis from Ultimate Blade. It kind of felt like it was borrowed from True Blood and Vampire Diaries since those shows popularized it, but it's not like a massive power-up if used sparingly in select situations. Outside of looking cool and bad@$$ I think it's problematic for the way Marvel writers tend to crafter stories. If someone just wants to have Blade hack through enemies like the Castlvannia animation or an anime, cool, but that's gonna bug me in other stories where he doesn't exhibit any of those powers.

Also Blade takes an L to Nighthawk. Wish he put up a better fight, since Nighthawk is a Batman analogue and Blade should have a clear stat advantage.
    Last edited by Jabare; 06-23-2021 at 06:53 AM.
    The J-man