Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    I mean ... he is half vampire right, to some regards - because of what happened?

The Vampire Wanderer sounds more exciting than The Human Wanderer.
    he's a dhampir and beyond being a slayer he's very nature is different. He can walk in the sun, he is unaffected by silver, garlic, wood or holy items. Blade posses the physical strength, speed, regeneration and enhanced senses portrayed in many vampires. It's not like all Vampires are the same the dark gifts can very, but he can't turn to mist or shapeshift (the Uncanny Avengers issue is just randomness). He might be able to hypnotize some folks but chooses not too. We see Ultimate Blade hypnotize Hulk. Then there is the Bloodthirst which frankly we don't really see from 616 Blade. The vampire thirst was something the movies created and only Blade's last solo series touched on it. Other then that the comics don't go into the series or show him fighting the thirst whatsoever.

It's a gross oversimplification. That'd be like calling Spider-Man a mutant or a dolphin a shark or pizza a pasta.
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    he's a dhampir and beyond being a slayer he's very nature is different. He can walk in the sun, he is unaffected by silver, garlic, wood or holy items. Blade posses the physical strength, speed, regeneration and enhanced senses portrayed in many vampires. It's not like all Vampires are the same the dark gifts can very, but he can't turn to mist or shapeshift (the Uncanny Avengers issue is just randomness). He might be able to hypnotize some folks but chooses not too. We see Ultimate Blade hypnotize Hulk. Then there is the Bloodthirst which frankly we don't really see from 616 Blade. The vampire thirst was something the movies created and only Blade's last solo series touched on it. Other then that the comics don't go into the series or show him fighting the thirst whatsoever.

It's a gross oversimplification. That'd be like calling Spider-Man a mutant or a dolphin a shark or pizza a pasta.
    But by definition - as I said -
    A Dhampir is when the child is born of a vampire and human through sexual manner (conceiving).
    Where as for Blade, his mother was a prostitute who was pregnant when Deacon Frost feed off of her - passing the vampire enzymes/gene into her bloodline and into Blade (who was not yet born).

So he's technically not a Dhampir by definition.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampir

So it's not a gross oversimplification. Blade is neither vampire, nor human, nor Dhampir.

Calling him a Dhampir is like calling Spider-Man a mutant, a dolphin a shark or a pizza a pasta.
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-X View Post
    But by definition - as I said -
    A Dhampir is when the child is born of a vampire and human through sexual manner (conceiving).
    Where as for Blade, his mother was a prostitute who was pregnant when Deacon Frost feed off of her - passing the vampire enzymes/gene into her bloodline and into Blade (who was not yet born).

So he's technically not a Dhampir by definition.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhampir

So it's not a gross oversimplification. Blade is neither vampire, nor human, nor Dhampir.

Calling him a Dhampir is like calling Spider-Man a mutant, a dolphin a shark or a pizza a pasta.
    no he's half vampire and half human. He's classified as a dhampir not just in Marvel canon but across the net. Moving away from Balkan folklore dhampir simply means half vampire. Considering vampire mythology varies different across countries and fiction.

For Example, Michael Emerson from Lost Boys. He was born human but became a dhampir.

Michael Morbius is still a vampire. So while Blade is not a dhampir by conventional means, he is nonetheless a dhampir.

Then beyond that Blade is a daywalker which is rare even among some dhampirs. Even Vampire Hunter D is susceptible to sunlight syndrome.

using your same source:

Due to an enzyme in his bloodstream resultant from his mother's being bitten by a vampire while giving birth to him, Blade is immune to the bites of typical, supernatural vampires. In certain instances, he also appeared immune to vampire hypnosis as well. He lacked superhuman physical attributes, however, and relied solely on his considerable skill and determination until Morbius, the Living Vampire, an atypical, scientifically created vampire, bit him and Blade was turned into something resembling a dhampir.
    Blade was portrayed by Wesley Snipes in a trilogy of live-action films from New Line Cinema. The first, Blade, was released in 1998, and presented the character as stoic while revising his powers and weaknesses. Rather than a normal human with immunity to vampirism, the film version is a dhampir with vampiric powers and a bloodthirst, the latter of which is controlled through a special serum. The financially successful film received two sequels, Blade II (2002) and Blade: Trinity (2004).
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(character)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_(character)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dhampirs

The doctor, Deacon Frost, was actually a ravenous vampire and feasted on the woman as she gave birth, passing on a series of enzymes that altered her baby. The enzymes entered the infant's bloodstream, transforming him into a being tainted by a vampire's kiss, but not converted. In other words half-human, half-vampire also called a Dhampir.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Eric_Brooks_(Earth-616)

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/blade/4005-7570/
    Last edited by Jabare; 03-07-2021 at 05:31 PM.
    The J-man

no he's half vampire and half human. He's classified as a dhampir not just in Marvel canon but across the net. Moving away from Balkan folklore dhampir simply means half vampire. Considering vampire mythology varies different across countries and fiction.
    For Example, Michael Emerson from Lost Boys. He was born human but became a dhampir.
    Then beyond that Blade is a daywalker which is rare even among some dhampirs. Even Vampire Hunter D is susceptible to sunlight syndrome
    Look at Micael Emerson from the Lost Boys. He was born a human
    I was hoping my smiley emoticon would imply my humor.

I think it boils down to that Marvel has not used the term "dhampir" (or at least not made it a common term) - and most people aren't aware of the term "dhampirs" either.

So for simplicity sake, I think they stick to "Vampire" because that's universally known.

It's sort of like if you see someone with blue eyes and compliment them for their blue eyes - and they in turn say, "They're actually brown. You see, the lack of melanin makes the fibers scatter and absorb the longer wavelengths of light. This means that it is not true that under brown eyes there are blue ones but instead that under blue eyes, and all eye colors, they are actually brown."

Listen. They're blue, all right - because it's easier!
    Need Comics? Consider using my Affiliate link - helps keep my Podcast ad free!
    https://www.mycomicshop.com/?AffID=1055159P01
    Check out the Comic Relief Podcast! - The podcast all about comics!

Mighty Member

I think Silver Surfer called him a dhampir in Aaron's Avengers run. So I think Aaron does know the difference, I think it is for simplicities sake that they just use vampire, because they probably see it a dhampir as a type of vampire. We'll probably see the term become more recognizable after his movie, and they'll just lean on it more.

What have we seen in Blade's hideouts? I want to see a Blade Cave. Yes I called it that. Since he travels the world to hunt vampires, etc., he should have safehouses in various countries, some more elaborate than others. Equipment stolen from terrorists, vampire gangs, etc. Remember "we're not exactly the March of Dimes..."

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    What have we seen in Blade's hideouts? I want to see a Blade Cave. Yes I called it that. Since he travels the world to hunt vampires, etc., he should have safehouses in various countries, some more elaborate than others. Equipment stolen from terrorists, vampire gangs, etc. Remember "we're not exactly the March of Dimes..."
    I think we have seen a few of his safe houses. Like the apartment he was staying in in Mighty Avengers. These days it seems like he's full time staying with the Avengers though.

from the 2006 series

The J-man

Astonishing Member

I'm really not that interested in Heroes Reborn arc but Ill be picking it up since Blade is gonna be a Major player in this, I just can't wait til they get back to the vampires Chernobyl subplot

Mighty Member

I think we'll see more of that right after the Phoenix arc ties up. The Avengers King in Black tie in is about Blade going there to recruit the vampire army.

Morbius, Ghost Rider and Blade Teamed Up for Marvel's Darkest Crossover
    https://www.cbr.com/rise-of-the-midn...t-roder-blade/
    The J-man

Blade's Latest Adventure Shows How Marvel's Slayer Can Work for All Ages
    https://inerd4u.com/blogs/my-rss-fee...k-for-all-ages

movies gonna be PG-13 just fyi, it's not a big deal so I wouldn't worry about it. As we talked about before outside of the F-bombs there isn't anything about the first two films that would be an R rating today. Even the action and some of the gore should easily pass a PG-13

I was just having this debate. Should Blade wield another primary weapon other than a katana?

Maybe a Hunga Munga? or an Axe? I liked those spike nunchucks he used on the plane in Avengers. Obviously he should keep the stakes as a staple and that glaive he used in the movies and anime. That weapon acted more like a boomerang or a Chakram to be honest.

I thought Marvel was moving him away from firearms for some reason until his more recent appearances. I don't care if he uses guns or not as long as he's throwing hands and tearing through enemies.
    The J-man

The J-man

Mighty Member

Blade's Latest Adventure Shows How Marvel's Slayer Can Work for All Ages
    https://inerd4u.com/blogs/my-rss-fee...k-for-all-ages

movies gonna be PG-13 just fyi, it's not a big deal so I wouldn't worry about it. As we talked about before outside of the F-bombs there isn't anything about the first two films that would be an R rating today. Even the action and some of the gore should easily pass a PG-13

I was just having this debate. Should Blade wield another primary weapon other than a katana?

Maybe a Hunga Munga? or an Axe? I liked those spike nunchucks he used on the plane in Avengers. Obviously he should keep the stakes as a staple and that glaive he used in the movies and anime. That weapon acted more like a boomerang or a Chakram to be honest.

I thought Marvel was moving him away from firearms for some reason until his more recent appearances. I don't care if he uses guns or not as long as he's throwing hands and tearing through enemies.
    I don't think it's confirmed just yet, cause as far as I know Blade doesn't even have a script yet. Feige was speculating (which means a lot cause he oversees everything) but I think there's an outside chance if they get a great script that requires it. To your point though, I doubt they will.

you're right it's not confirmed by any means.

Also, did anyone notice they've got Blade with a cross logo in the Heroes Reborn event? Do you think Aaron's just throwing in random things for research and development? Just throwing a lot of different concepts out there for Blade and seeing what sticks?

Maybe he uses crosses now or has some tie to a church organization? A secret order of vampire hunters?
    The J-man