Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

I won't say anything against the stories per se, because I think that PKJ's Superman Gladiator idea is good (finally something interesting, and well-drawn with Kal-El) and I generally like Mark Russell, but may I say that - once again - it seems like a wasted opportunity?
    I mean, I get it - something will be seen in the regular series, 5G was originally a different thing and plans changed - but still, it looks like something that in a different situation could have been used as the basis for a truly epic storyline which could have progressed for two, three years with an equally epic climax. It's the type of story which could have been on the same level with some classic Marvel storylines of the 1980s/1990s. I mean. Lex Luthor terraforming an entire planet and making it his personal kingdom and Superman becoming a slave on a distant world.... I'd read it. Alas, we will get only two, three issues of these stuff and maybe something in the regular series.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Lexor is actually an old story that Mark Russell just brought back and added things to. And I honestly do think it's a great way to move Lex Luthor forward after being president, part of the Justice League, and facing the gods of creation (man I hated Perpetua so much). Maybe they will eventually keep it going. As far as Kal El on War World, i understand the aesthetical appeal, but I don't see much of a narrative there.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    I won't say anything against the stories per se, because I think that PKJ's Superman Gladiator idea is good (finally something interesting, and well-drawn with Kal-El) and I generally like Mark Russell, but may I say that - once again - it seems like a wasted opportunity?
    I mean, I get it - something will be seen in the regular series, 5G was originally a different thing and plans changed - but still, it looks like something that in a different situation could have been used as the basis for a truly epic storyline which could have progressed for two, three years with an equally epic climax. It's the type of story which could have been on the same level with some classic Marvel storylines of the 1980s/1990s. I mean. Lex Luthor terraforming an entire planet and making it his personal kingdom and Superman becoming a slave on a distant world.... I'd read it. Alas, we will get only two, three issues of these stuff and maybe something in the regular series.
    This is true, but best case scenario these might be teasers to see what works and what doesn't. Last thing we need is some flop from Future State getting an extend 2 years storyline.

Incredible Member

So, as far as the Superman-adjacent FS comics go, I think I'd rank them like this:

1. Superman vs Imperius Lex
    2. Kara Zor-El, Superwoman
    3. Superman: Worlds of War
    4. Suicide Squad
    5. Batman/Superman
    6. Superman of Metropolis
    7. Superman/Wonder Woman

Didn't read Justice League.

I would put Superman of Metropolis at the bottom. Not even because I dislike the take, just becausr it wasn't particularly well written (and I'm not blaming the writer per say, he had to work with other people's ideas after all). I was really excited for Imperious Lex but ended up being disappointed. It wasn't as funny as it seemed judging by the cover. Superwoman was unique, but not quite my style. I thought Superman / Wonder Woman was fun to read, even tho Jon was a copy of Clark. I really liked Suicide Squad, both the main story and the back up. Worlds of War is definitely at the top. Really surprised ina good way.

My ranking would be
    Superman vs. Imperious Lex
    Superman: Worlds of War
    Superwoman
    Suicide Squad
    Superman/WW
    Batman/Superman
    Superman of Metropolis

But I’ve been very lucky in that I’ve enjoyed every FS Superman book. Even though I’ve got Batman/Superman ranked towards the bottom, that’s not because I thought it was bad, it’s very solid. If Kara had an ongoing or mini spinning out of this come March I would overall be very happy about the state of the Superfamily.
    Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Imperious Lex was good fun. I take it his Wonder Twins is worth checking out if I liked this?

Batman/Superman was solid as well, but I dunno, it ended and I was left wanting more. Not in a "I want next issue now" sense, but more like this issue should have done more than it did.
    Definitely, Wonder Twins is a very amusing black comedy.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-27-2021 at 11:11 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Batman/Superman was good too, was not expecting Mr. Toad to reappear along with Pyg. Yang did a good job with the dynamic, he’s got Clark riding the high of no longer having to keep his identity a secret, and that’s making him reckless. Oliver’s art is a treat as always, he looks even better here than he did with Action and Multiveristy imo.
    One of the things I was most looking forward to was the concept of the ID reveal and how other writers would deal with it. Yang ran with it nicely. I liked how Oliver included a tribute to saving a kid from a train. Granted, different circumstances this time around, but cool to see that visual again.

Preview for the second issue of Superman of Metropolis :https://aiptcomics.com/2021/01/29/dc...-metropolis-2/

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

from the things i've read
    1)superman of metropolis
    2)superman/batman(except for the stabbing part)
    3)imperious lex
    4)superman/ww
    it's too early to judge superman world of war.It could be my favorite.But for now, jon kent rules the chart.Loved the gladiator part and Didn't particularly care for having the girl being "right" persepective.When there is a superman dynasty going inside sun and being sun gods.When there are was an alien-esque superman.When there was a farmer.He has been everything and done everything.But,if the insinuation is that his trueself is that of a gladiator metaphorical or literal (cutting back to it).Then i can see that.The best thing about jon is that he's become infamous.I love that.People are actually having doubts about the concept of supermen.Good.I freaking laughed at the book(a guy in the book) talking about superman attaining nirvana,moksha,..etc and whatnot."He ascends".I liked superman vs imperious lex for lex.The guy felt really relatable.Clark's characterisation was the same high and mighty guy that gives speeches.It was dialogue heavy and without much action.That kinda round table meetings of elites bore me.There is to much "trying to be important" and not enough actual importance.But still,It was a nice touch of world building though.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-30-2021 at 02:36 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Ugh, in one page of the Suicide Squad book we get an insinuation that the most intriguing side of Kon is his Lex side, and more pushing of that dumbass farm boy description of Superman.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

So Jon gets his first on-panel Brainiac story .

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ugh, in one page of the Suicide Squad book we get an insinuation that the most intriguing side of Kon is his Lex side, and more pushing of that dumbass farm boy description of Superman.
    Both of those things are said by Waller, though, and at least the "Luthor side is more intriguing" part is clearly framed as wrong.

BANNED

Even with his clark powers he is an idiot, everyone manipulates him and they have to explain the simplest things to him. Clark is an idiotic farmer, if his powers would have to wipe his boogers. that's the way dc sees clark.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well, that's surely a narrative I have zero interest in ever interacting with.

As if Kon being in the Suicide Squad wasn't dumb enough.

Waller thinks that of Clark. It’s like Lex talking about Supes, of course she sees Kent as just a dumb naive hick.