Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

It's all House of El, yeah.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Forgive me,for taking the liberty to shorten the message due to restrictions
    You didn't understand.Maybe it's my fault.I am not that good at conveying things.
    1)not true at all:-he is seen as dcu great leader in universe.Outside the universe,he is a paragon of virtues.Whether you hate that or love it.
    2)See,what did i tell you?he's saint.He tries to be a good friend towards an *******.Yeah!goldenage superman would do that/s.Also one punch wouldn't.
    3)Did you not really understand?one punch man is invincible.He just sucks at somethings.He can kill anything and beat anything in a fist fight.but,he has fair share of L's.Some contrieved weakness like "magic"(as if superman itself isn't magical.the scifi in superman story is more magic and fantasy than science fiction) and a rock.Doesn't humanise you.It requires much more characterisation.

Huh!Yooo!dude!that's precisley the point of that "reason".It's making fun of you for needing a "realistic" explanation for grasping the absurd and the fantastic.By all means cling to it.I am just gonna sit here and wink at the camera under my glasses.Moreover,people empathise with protagonist cause saitama worked out so hard that he lost his hair lol!.It's basically diverting your attention from end goal and towards the act of putting an effort completley.Morrison does the same with superman.On a side note,standard strength training pretty good.I paricularly loved it when superman got black eye and broken nose in all star superman(see the sun didn't save him.it's that simple).The physical bruises and scars are indicative of the emotional strain and internal turmoil.That's not necassary.It is helpful in some instances.Example for the counter,saitama's lack of ability to get excited or clark not being able to live amongst people without having to hiding.But,these require the context.Clark doesn't need to hide if the world isn't a threat.One punch man doesn't get excited cause nobody in the world is a challenge.so there needs to be something that indicates the toll/effect on the protagonist.Otherwise,it feel like the protagonist is cruising through life

Yes.Batman using detective skill can be **** as well ,just like superman using his powers.When?when these are mere buzzwords and magic getaway tickets/cheap plot device.People relate to batman because he honed his skills and he was the underdog in the fight.More importantly,the "detective skill or sun powers or whatever" should have a context and backgroud.It should have limitation and rules, that are well defined and conveyed to the reader.

No,i mean he comes of fake.He doesn't seem human nor like a real person.The guy is literally an act of being a paragon of virtues.Bad than good?Is that why people flocked to batman,not superman?you said they did.Who cares about death?he first needs to tackle his present.Also,if western world has grown cynical of person of power.Then they need person of power that feels genuine.As if,Cynical person would wanna read jesus or sun god.Also,you are forgetting that clark came from one of the shittiest periods in time,the great depression.Also,how does it matter what clark does anything(person with powers or otherwise)?this isn't the bible.This is book for entertainment.Also,punching lex doesn't change him.Being a condescending father towards him does?Dude!those supermen(goldenage or silverage) had more actual heart to heart talks,than this dude.Heck!lex has actually beaten those guys.Says alot. As for superman affecting the rest of the dcu,It does when these guys (company) decides he does and he doesn't otherwise.Even if it does,so what?that gives clark an excuse for playing nice,than actually being nice.To be fake nice guy.I don't think so.You throw the word "cynical" around like it mean something.It doesn't.Also,saying might makes right was clark way of doing things would be understandable(Rather narrow view actually.He did more reporting and enough changing views than any thing this superman has managed to do).That,doesn't excuse clark sucking at his mission statement.why?words mean nothing.Actions inspire people.Clark ain't inspiring.I mean,this ain't hard thing to grasp.It's standard good guy protagonist stuff.

Explaining that this is corporate entity that and not serialised fiction is pointless.I know that,i have critisized it.But,that is besides the point.These guy's reboot.These books/this industry regardless of being run by collecting culture than reader culture,is still a book for reading.And as such,requires it to follow literary rules and limitaions.Episodic or serialised.It doesn't matter.Superman was a corporate entity when he first started as well.That's no excuse.He is failing in that department.He doesn't sell gangbuster.Nothing's changed.People just seem to be less interested in what they are selling for superman.They try to do something cool.But,then continue to play into all the wrong things or the things that are done to death.People loose interest.You say "superman is a corporate entity".In the same breath,You also say superman doesn't need to have adjustments regarding his secret identity so that people get it.(this is just an example)If readers are consumers,their feedback means something.

That's the thing though,he doesn't.His struggles aren't relatable.Not because they aren't physical.But,because it just there to enhance drama.It's not life experience.True depth like that comes from the essense and experiences of a writer or the ability to empathise and capture someone elses experiences.For example,for the man who has everything,superman's return to krypton,..etc.You think one hasn't put a part of himself in one punch man?He did.That's why saitama feels like a genuine guy in his small apartment watching tv.The difference is saitama doesn't wallow in self pity for petty things.I mean,getting thrown out by the landlords.Getting dumped is not a big deal.It happens to everyone.With superman it's an attempt to say "see,people.he is like us".Rather than something that people can connect with.As said,it isn't real emotion.it's fake.

On the contrary,superman usually doesn't act fearing consequances.His writers don't want superman to tell risky stories.therefore,i put emphasise on that.I want superman to tear structures down and deal with the reprecussions of it.good or bad.Superman writers especially don't want superman dealing with reprecussions so they stick to superman being a safe and nice.You yourself said that,superman being a bully to bullies cause there will consequances.Yet you claim,i want superman to not face consequances.As for new structures,Clark alone can't make something better.He can only tear down illegitamate authorities and structures.It's the people,the individual and the society that the individual makes up that has to replace it.Sure,the clark has to be along for the ride.But,that's all.Just because you assumed i want a superman "who wants to fight things, break **** and never deal with the consequences".Doesn't mean,it is true.I am just fed up of the mindset that superman "above" that.You guys constantly look down on anything that made up superman.There is no superman without action comics.Zorro you mentioned is exactly what clark is not and what i am calling out.what did i call out in these issues?
    1)Jon being making sky messages while people are stuck in traffic due to corrupt officials
    2)the portrayal where jon saves the day,with cheap plot devices.

I am irrelevant.As for not liking superman,I like superman.why do you think i am here and not in batman or ww forum?I like him using powers and being an alien.I don't like how his powers are presented and sometimes they way they are used in story.I just don't care for him being a space sun god.I don't like his personality as it is.(as for me not getting my kinda superman.which is actually false.i liked new52 when it was cool.I liked the old siegel and shuster superman.bronze age had steady content i loved.I like the iron giant)

Thanks for the recommendation.I don't particulary care for conan and have read it.I have read zorro.Western comics as a whole don't deliever on action front as a whole.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-12-2021 at 08:58 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Huh. That almost looks reminiscent of Manupal’s style of art.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Read the second issue of Superman: Worlds of War. I enjoyed it! I really liked the newspaper article Clark wrote about a man no one else really knew or cared about, but whom still served as an example none the less. Definitely get some gladiator combat here, and I love how Superman has literally been breaking the chains of slaves at Warworld one at a time, and been getting killed and resurrected by Mongul over and over in punishment for it. Great story about perseverance, really makes me interested in how PKJ will use Mongul in Action next month. Feel like he’s got a good voice for him.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

It felt unsatisfactory to me. Like I was reading an incomplete story with no resolution. I liked the first chapter better.

Incredible Member

Liked the issue. It was a very good execution of the archetypical gladiator story, elevated by the newspaper article on a man named Edgar Watters. That could have very easily gone wrong (and I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed other readers the wrong way), but I saw it as the struggles of good people to make a change in the world being mythologized through Superman, rather than Superman's action scenes being legitimized as something deeper by taking advantage of an "inspirational" story. Ending it with Clark still fighting, the promise of eventually liberating everyone still unfulfilled (and, as far as these specific two issues go, uncertain), was a good decision. As far as the art goes, the action scenes were great, not so much because they flow well but rather because they're so disorienting with the "camera" changes and how close it was to its subjects, and contrasted very well with the calmer Smallville scenes (at a further distance, with more room to breathe, easy to follow). Coloring was great with the blood-and-sand tone of the arena scenes, the calming blue tones of the Smallville scenes and the ghostly white tones of the final conversation between Clark and Mongul.

The previous issue raised the question of what Superman was to PKJ and co., and I think this issue gave three answers: he's a liberator, he's a mythologizing of the struggles good people go through in our world, and he's a person who was saved by others (which is how I interpreted the Smallville scenes ending with the discovery of the rocket).

As for the back-ups... Mr. Miracle was mediocre at best, Midnighter was a bit better but still uninteresting to me, Black Racer was a massive improvement over last month and made me intrigued to see where her story leads... so of course it's the only one without a continuation announced, though I assume it will be continued in the upcoming Mr. Miracle mini.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Read the second issue of Superman: Worlds of War. I enjoyed it! I really liked the newspaper article Clark wrote about a man no one else really knew or cared about, but whom still served as an example none the less. Definitely get some gladiator combat here, and I love how Superman has literally been breaking the chains of slaves at Warworld one at a time, and been getting killed and resurrected by Mongul over and over in punishment for it. Great story about perseverance, really makes me interested in how PKJ will use Mongul in Action next month. Feel like he’s got a good voice for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Liked the issue. It was a very good execution of the archetypical gladiator story, elevated by the newspaper article on a man named Edgar Watters. That could have very easily gone wrong (and I wouldn't be surprised if it rubbed other readers the wrong way), but I saw it as the struggles of good people to make a change in the world being mythologized through Superman, rather than Superman's action scenes being legitimized as something deeper by taking advantage of an "inspirational" story. Ending it with Clark still fighting, the promise of eventually liberating everyone still unfulfilled (and, as far as these specific two issues go, uncertain), was a good decision. As far as the art goes, the action scenes were great, not so much because they flow well but rather because they're so disorienting with the "camera" changes and how close it was to its subjects, and contrasted very well with the calmer Smallville scenes (at a further distance, with more room to breathe, easy to follow). Coloring was great with the blood-and-sand tone of the arena scenes, the calming blue tones of the Smallville scenes and the ghostly white tones of the final conversation between Clark and Mongul.

The previous issue raised the question of what Superman was to PKJ and co., and I think this issue gave three answers: he's a liberator, he's a mythologizing of the struggles good people go through in our world, and he's a person who was saved by others (which is how I interpreted the Smallville scenes ending with the discovery of the rocket).

As for the back-ups... Mr. Miracle was mediocre at best, Midnighter was a bit better but still uninteresting to me, Black Racer was a massive improvement over last month and made me intrigued to see where her story leads... so of course it's the only one without a continuation announced, though I assume it will be continued in the upcoming Mr. Miracle mini.
    Liked the issue as well. I liked the article Clark wrote as a framing device for the gladiator sequences. While I have not read the first issue, I also thought the two kids and their quest to find the real meaning of Superman, sifting through the touristy stuff to get to the real guy and what he stood for, was a pretty cool take. Particularly when the girl said that he was an inspirational guy regardless of superpowers and regardless if people even called him Superman. PJK seems to have a good appreciation for Clark's work as a writer.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Liked the issue as well. I liked the article Clark wrote as a framing device for the gladiator sequences. While I have not read the first issue, I also thought the two kids and their quest to find the real meaning of Superman, sifting through the touristy stuff to get to the real guy and what he stood for, was a pretty cool take. Particularly when the girl said that he was an inspirational guy regardless of superpowers and regardless if people even called him Superman. PJK seems to have a good appreciation for Clark's work as a writer.
    I liked it for these reasons as well. This was a fun story that had the right mix of cosmic and down to Earth elements to it.

Astonishing Member

I can see what the writer was going for but it just fell flat for me.

The inspirational story felt like something made up (yeah, i know it's all made up). Watters was just a name and the events he participated in were just a random list. I never really felt like he was a person. It was all telling but no showing.

Superman's gladiatorial deaths were like watching someone push that stone up a hill only to see it fall back down. Some people might see it as "never say die", but at the end of the day Superman is still in the same place he was at the beginning. Maybe if we had actually seen some movement in ending Mongul, I'd feel differently but despite all the broken chains we aren't shown anything that has really changed. Knowing it was a Superman story yells me how it will end, but nothing in the story itself would lead me to believe that the ending isn't what Mongul predicts rather than what Superman predicts.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Freaking loved the issue.Second issue had everything i loved about superman.The gladiator for truth and justice was on full display,shedding the garb of false knighthood,godhood,..etc and all other perception.Finally,i loved how they paralleled The metaphorical gladiator(superman) with a real one(atleast in the story.Or maybe there is someone like that out there).Clark going toe to toe without any gimmicks and nonesense like the sun.Getting beaten to a pulp.Fighting for the weak,even if he is to gain nothing from it.Even if,At the end of the day he will always be a man with nothing and be hated for standing tall.I loved that the answer for who superman is,was and always will be made loud and clear.which was asked in the previous issue.At the core of superman as a character is that metaphorical gladiator who fought for those who couldn't fight for themselves,for truth and justice.
    Mark out moment for me, was that image of broken chains.It literally was everything and anything i could hope from the man of action.
    "The Fighters weren't the target"
    "No,Mongul.I won't leave until I've broken every chain on warworld"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Superman's gladiatorial deaths were like watching someone push that stone up a hill only to see it fall back down. Some people might see it as "never say die", but at the end of the day Superman is still in the same place he was at the beginning.
    Because it's irrelevant.That't the point.Even if the watter's story is imaginary.It needs to be told so that the weak have a figure to pin their hopes on.The principle is what matter.The act and the existential fight is what matters(the Sisyphus symbolism You mentioned).Some happy ending would be cheapen it.Sure,it would be pretty "Hopeful".Superman never had an ending story.Even whatever had Superman return to crush diamonds.Also,you are forgetting superman's history.Superman did forget(lose is more accurate).He did become an enslaved knight(Cough!cough!darkknight returns).He has even gone so far as becoming a mongul himself in recent decades(all the evil and totalitarian versions like red son).So,ambiguity of whether clark would choose to be a knight again,over the slave breaking chains will always remain.Atleast for me.
    Granted the whole thing is a cliche.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-18-2021 at 04:07 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Is that from House of El? Please give us context when you share previews
    Must be.
    By the way, some of the members of the house of El appears on the second issue of Immortal Wonder Woman.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Incredible Member

Superman vs Imperius Lex: Did Russell find out there was nothing planned for Lois after Bendis' run and decided to make his Future State book partially a showcase for her? Because if so, God bless him.

House of El: Nails the "fall of an era" vibe PKJ's going for, but doesn't quite grab me yet. Then again, neither did the previews for both issues of Worlds of War, and I ended up loving those.

Suicide Squad: The untenable situation presented in the previous issue is about to explode. Overall intrigued.

Russell writes a good Superman/Lois banter .

House of El feels like a future version of the Krypton show.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    Superman vs Imperius Lex: Did Russell find out there was nothing planned for Lois after Bendis' run and decided to make his Future State book partially a showcase for her? Because if so, God bless him.

House of El: Nails the "fall of an era" vibe PKJ's going for, but doesn't quite grab me yet. Then again, neither did the previews for both issues of Worlds of War, and I ended up loving those.

Suicide Squad: The untenable situation presented in the previous issue is about to explode. Overall intrigued.
    Russel apparently was added to the FS project late. Maybe he asked if there were any plans for Lois, learned there was not, and decided to use her and Clark in his book.