Page 16 of 29 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I just don't want all that leather in a Superman comic. IS THAT SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND??!!
    You're going to really hate the upcoming leather-bound edition of Superman/Midnighter: Dark City from DC Black Label.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Batman and Midnighter for starters.
    Yeah SUPER books for SUPERs plz.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Midnighter not being an obvious fit is exactly why I like the idea. I hate how the Superfamily has been slowly forced into becoming copies of Clark, from Kara going into journalism, to Kon living with the Kents and going to school in Smallville, to Jon literally becoming his father.

And that's why I personally push for Kon to be as unique as he can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah this is a real problem. It's why I kind of want Kon to go full rebel/ironic social media superhero/heart throb kind of like he was in Reign of the Supermen.
    Kon is older and should be played 18 to 21 so I think he should be less kesel kon and more YJ show kon, but with more attitude, leather jackets and TTK
    Created from 2 of the greatest men,made with 2 powersets thst are both SUPER,and has 2 cool asf looks and attitudes.

Has anyone read the "Worlds of War" book yet?

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I have and I'm guessing you have too. I just paid 8 dollars and I want my money back lol.

Huh, that bad? It looked interesting from solicits.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I did! Yeah they kinda pulled a fast one with the premise:
    The main story doesn’t focus on Clark fighting through Warworld at all. It focuses instead on the people in Smallville who have been debating where Superman has gone and grappling with his legacy. The old Cult of Superman has popped up again and some worship him as a god. Others are angry at him for leaving Jon in charge and taking off. Sadie, the one we follow, is disappointed at how everyone else views Superman because she hasn’t forgotten the man behind Superman: Clark Kent, and Clark saved Sadie as Clark not Superman. It’s a pretty interesting issue analyzing the impact and way others view Superman’s legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Quality wise what’s actually there is good. But the premise the solicits and the covers promised was a lie. If you picked this up hoping to follow Clark fighting in gladiator matches, that doesn’t happen. Instead it looks like that aspect will occur in issue 2. So some people will be disappointed with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    For those going in expecting a lot of Superman gladiator business which is the main appeal, might be a bit disappointed. The story was all right though.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I did! Yeah they kinda pulled a fast one with the premise:
    The main story doesn’t focus on Clark fighting through Warworld at all. It focuses instead on the people in Smallville who have been debating where Superman has gone and grappling with his legacy. The old Cult of Superman has popped up again and some worship him as a god. Others are angry at him for leaving Jon in charge and taking off. Sadie, the one we follow, is disappointed at how everyone else views Superman because she hasn’t forgotten the man behind Superman: Clark Kent, and Clark saved Sadie as Clark not Superman. It’s a pretty interesting issue analyzing the impact and way others view Superman’s legacy.

Quality wise what’s actually there is good. But the premise the solicits and the covers promised was a lie. If you picked this up hoping to follow Clark fighting in gladiator matches, that doesn’t happen. Instead it looks like that aspect will occur in issue 2. So some people will be disappointed with this issue.
    PKJ already said a few times interviews the first issue wasn’t going to focus on on Superman, but what people think of him so I wasn’t too shocked. Thought it was a great issue seeing how many different people were inspired by Superman in different ways and have their own interpretations of him.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    PKJ already said a few times interviews the first issue wasn’t going to focus on on Superman, but what people think of him so I wasn’t too shocked. Thought it was a great issue seeing how many different people were inspired by Superman in different ways and have their own interpretations of him.
    Yep but c’mon how many people read the interviews? We’re kind of hardcore fanatics lol. I enjoyed it overall too though.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'm unable to pick up my books this week but that really bums me out that they have two issues only and still they pull a huge bait-and-switch. That's a pretty dickish move.

The story is still good, it’s deliberately evoking Superman #400, that landmark issue where a bunch of people talk about the legacy and impact of Superman after he’s gone. And the next issue looks to deliver on the gladiator combat. I feel a lot more at ease with PKJ taking over the Superman books now. But yeah if you were thinking about getting this for gladiator fights, that won’t happen until next issue.

The Midnighter backup was fun. Very much in the vein of Orlando’s Midnighter stuff, and Big Gleb is going to kill it on that Robin series with Williamson. He does a great job depicting combat and Middy’s ability to kick ass. Really looking forward to Cloonan’s Midnighter backups going forward.

I liked this Mister Miracle story a bit more than the one in Superman of Metropolis, but I am still a bit lost at what is going on since this story takes place after the backup in SoM #2 which hasn’t come out yet.

Overall I was kind of disappointed by the issue as a whole but the Superman story was pretty good. I liked hearing/seeing everyone’s interpretation of what Superman represents and why he’s important. It’s very reminiscent of the message board discussions of actual Superman fans. Janin’s art was beautiful as always! Really hoping to get some actual gladiator Superman action next issue.

The Midnighter story was pretty fun. Wasn’t a fan of the other two. The Shilo Norman story again seemed pointless. I would much prefer a backup featuring Scott Free. I think the Black Racer as a character has a lot of untapped potential. The grim reaper of the New Gods! But this concept and character design just fell flat.

This wasn’t worth the $8.

Yeah the Shilo story is just... there. He’s just bumbling around from one place to the next, with no real sense of direction or urgency.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Yeah the Shilo story is just... there. He’s just bumbling around from one place to the next, with no real sense of direction or urgency.
    Yeah, I am wondering why they felt the need to have mister miracle backups in both this and the sueprman of metropolis story. Not like he's in infinite frontier..

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, I am wondering why they felt the need to have mister miracle backups in both this and the sueprman of metropolis story. Not like he's in infinite frontier..
    Apparently they have plans for the New Gods in the second half of 2021. Given that I believe Scot Free is still stuck in that dimension?/purgatory? Tom King left him in, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re planning to use Shilo instead. But man Easton just really isn’t wowing me here, he’s got four backups and so far it’s just been pure mediocrity.