Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Ugh, in one page of the Suicide Squad book we get an insinuation that the most intriguing side of Kon is his Lex side, and more pushing of that dumbass farm boy description of Superman.
    lex is far more relatable than clark is.That moment where clark talks about(talks down rather) lex forever being a man with nothing trying to cling to something was really cool.He's a guy who went through abuse And depending on the continuity,lex is a selfmade man.People cling to things.People have a competetive streak.People like to feel good about their achievements.People have impulses.The stories frame these things in a bad light as a whole.These things only become bad when it causes harm and when the strong exploit the weak.Lex is far relatable than clark indeed(atleast for me).
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    lex is far more relatable than clark is.That moment where clark talks about(talks down rather) lex forever being a man with nothing trying to cling to something was really cool.He's a guy who went through abuse And depending on the continuity,lex is a selfmade man.People cling to things.People have a competetive streak.People like to feel good about their achievements.People have impulses.The stories frame these things in a bad light as a whole.These things only become bad when it causes harm and when the strong exploit the weak.Lex is far relatable than clark indeed(atleast for me).
    People can probably relate to growing up in poverty and having to deal with an alcoholic parent along with their sibling.

The Supervillain stuff, the murder, the xenophobia, the manipulation, not so much.

I really liked the Imperious Lex issue. In Lex’s mind he was just trying to get away from Superman but he doesn’t have a second thought about plundering another planet’s resources. It’s just business after all. He’ll always be the hero of his own story.

Lex News needs to be a regular thing in monthly Superman comics. A propaganda network that worships Lex. Basically a villain for the Daily Planet itself.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-31-2021 at 12:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I really liked the Imperious Lex issue. In Lex’s mind he was just trying to get away from Superman but he doesn’t have a second thought about plundering another planet’s resources. It’s just business after all. He’ll always be the hero of his own story.

Lex News needs to be a regular thing in monthly Superman comics. A propaganda network that worships Lex. Basically a villains for the Daily Planet itself.
    I hope it is. Russell did a great thing establishing it in Wonder Twins and I was glad to see him continue the concept here.
    You are my favorite thing, Peter. My very favorite thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post

Lex News needs to be a regular thing in monthly Superman comics. A propaganda network that worships Lex. Basically a villains for the Daily Planet itself.
    Russel 100% should get a Lois Lane mini to explore something like this. Damnit it fits perfectly with how he likes to operate, combining the superheroics with the real world satire. Going to be sad if it never happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    People can probably relate to growing up in poverty and having to deal with an alcoholic parent along with their sibling.

The Supervillain stuff, the murder, the xenophobia, the manipulation, not so much.
    That people can relate to Lex is probably a major problem with Superman's franchise.

Astonishing Member

Trying to be relateable is probably why we have the naive farmboy thing in the first place.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post
    Trying to be relateable is probably why we have the naive farmboy thing in the first place.
    Nah!this is just clark playing 'bigger man' to lex with all the "I pity you,lex" kinda characterisation is sorta condescending.It's sortof religious notion/themes of power,envy and greed coming through in characterisation.Clark becomes the messiah,Not a champion.Especially when clark is supposed to be a man who has 'everything' himself.Clark and lex aren't that different either.They were both criminals with nothing.One just chose self interest,while clark chose to be superman.There is an absolute lack of 'Listen brother,i get you.But,your being a bully and i hate bullies' kinda interaction between the two.This is the man of action.The former is preachy clueless guy.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-31-2021 at 09:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

I haven't read the story I was saying in a more general sense that trying to be relateable has hurt Superman the character in the end because a lot of the long time Superman elements are often seen conflicting with a more "human" and "relateable" Superman so they're chucked out wholesale. The funny thing is that when I was getting into Superman back in the mid aughts he was still considered unrelateble despite being considered a naive farmboy. It's just not something I think Superman writers should be pursuing particularly hard, if people find Superman relateable then fine but if not then no big deal either. People consider Batman or Spiderman infinitely more relateable than Superman and no amount of essay's or manifesto's is going to change that.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

I haven't read the story I was saying in a more general sense that trying to be relateable has hurt Superman the character in the end because a lot of the long time Superman elements are often seen conflicting with a more "human" and "relateable" Superman so they're chucked out wholesale. The funny thing is that when I was getting into Superman back in the mid aughts he was still considered unrelateble despite being considered a naive farmboy. It's just not something I think Superman writers should be pursuing particularly hard, if people find Superman relateable then fine but if not then no big deal either. People consider Batman or Spiderman infinitely more relateable than Superman and no amount of essay's or manifesto's is going to change that.
    Yes. I'm tired of people trying to make him relatable.

Guess what? Superman is better than us, he can see things that a normal human mind can barely conceive the existence, he can hear sounds from across the solar system. If by chance a human could experience his sense it would destroy their minds, they would die if they are luck or become a vegetable if they're not.
    He is stronget, faster, and will out live Earth itself.

That's the way they should go with Superman, stop trying to make him Batman or Spider-Man.
    Stop trying to put him on a moral battle with Lex. Superman is right, Lex is wrong, simple like that. Why? Because he is Superman and Lex is a bald sociopath who thinks too much of himself. On that vein, bring back that interpretation, that Superman is infinitely smarter than Lex, he only let's Luthor thinks he is the smarter one, because of pity. That's right, Superman's main feeling towards Lex Luthor is pity.

And please, stop writing about what Superman represents, write about his adventures. That's what I'm here for.

why is that?bruce doesn't lecture joker on being good.When they talk.it's between two equals.neither does peter(for the most part).Heck!both of them are kinda assholes and jerks.Peter is always tempted to give into self interest.Bruce is always tempted to give into madness and vengence.Clark should be tempted to cause absolute mayhem and live as he pleases tearing down all kinds of structures.
    instead,Their whole idea of making clark relatable was using peter parker combine it with donnerisms("thou shall not do bad things or i will be dissappointed") and nostalgia for the quiete farmlands.They even tried "relatablity" with clark being a dictator "who hates bullies" with a fundamental misunderstanding .Clark hates bullies.But,he hates chains more and has no interest in them .I think superman had plenty of other factors that made him far more relatable.They just refused to go in on those things.Heck! had they tried to just go all in on the peter parker aspect like american alien.

It would have been far more sucessful.He's supposed to be what? normal friendly neighbourhood guy and savior whiteknight figure at the same time.It comes of obnoxious and paradoxical.It doesn't make sense and doesn't work.Just have some clarity.What are these guys aiming for?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-31-2021 at 10:11 AM.

why is that?bruce doesn't lecture joker on being good.When they talk.it's between two equals.
    Joker is literally clinically insane. If Bruce actually thinks he is doing something good then he shouldn't look at Joker as an intellectual equal. Lex is still considered a rational human being.

But then again, isn't Killing Joke for example a story all about Batman and Joker having a discussion where Bruce tries to fix Joker before it all ends badly? Seems like a careful lecture.

Peter is always tempted to give into self interest.Bruce is always tempted to give into madness and vengence.Clark should be tempted to cause absolute mayhem and live as he pleases tearing down all kinds of structures.
    I want Clark to have a bigger impact on the status quo than he usually has, but I definitely don't want that Superman. I mean how does it help the world for him to just destroy poor houses? When a hurricane hits a place I'm pretty sure everyone leaving there is worse off.

Clark hates bullies.But,he hates chains more and has no interest in them .
    Where does that association with chains come from? When was Clark restrained by normal people in the Golden Age? I haven't read all that much. Seems to me like he would be the one character who has never had to worry about being chained.

BANNED

Clark is a farmer, but Dc focuses on the fantasy that farmers are good and innocent, he forgets that they are real people with real problems that everyone can relate to, but also Clark is not just a farmer, he is a child Adopted, something many can identify with, he is also an illegal immigrant who had to flee for a chance, who has lied to a whole world his entire life (doesn't sound very naive). when it comes to superman / clark dc does the opposite, they want a superman closer to reality, but a clark who lives in a fantasy world. Let anyone here run the superman comics and it will be 10 times better than anything DC has done in years.

I reread Superman of Metropolis and thought it was decent. Still the weak link of the 4 issues I bought during week 1. It's got some cool ideas but i feel like I'm missing too much to really work as a standalone tale. The other 3 (Swamp Thing, WW and Batman) managed this better.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Joker is literally clinically insane. If Bruce actually thinks he is doing something good then he shouldn't look at Joker as an intellectual equal. Lex is still considered a rational human being.

But then again, isn't Killing Joke for example a story all about Batman and Joker having a discussion where Bruce tries to fix Joker before it all ends badly? Seems like a careful lecture.

I want Clark to have a bigger impact on the status quo than he usually has, but I definitely don't want that Superman. I mean how does it help the world for him to just destroy poor houses? When a hurricane hits a place I'm pretty sure everyone leaving there is worse off.

Where does that association with chains come from? When was Clark restrained by normal people in the Golden Age? I haven't read all that much. Seems to me like he would be the one character who has never had to worry about being chained.
    Joker might be clinically insane.But,that doesn't mean you talk to people who are fighting there own demons with pity and what not(fake pity is even worse).Neither does bruce look for intellectual equality ,that isn't what i meant(intellect and mental health aren't completely interlinked.Someone very smart can suffer from things like ptsd.Heck! there are psycopaths who are geniuses ).Clark is playing the savior and being holier than thou.I hate people like that.

No,there is a difference between this and that.Bruce asks and wonders if they could fix each other.He asks joker to let him help like someone who is going through the same shit.Bruce is always like "maybe i've been there".He knows where the other guy is coming from and understands. And joker declines.That's not a father talking to a son.Clark on the other hand(this version) plays the heavenly father.He doesn't understand lex.He doesn't understand wanting to cling to things.it's not "if you go through with this brother. we are gonna have to fight or worse kill each other".It's more like "Lex,you are a guy who clings to things.my dad told me about guys like you.So i feel sorry for you(without actually feeling it,i might add.So it isn't genuine.It's fake emotions)".

All i am saying that would be a temptation clark feels ,always.To say"to hell with this system" with absolutely no authorities(and many a times he does decide to bring down power structure).And it won't be the houses of the poor that would turned to rubble.If you are asking about that issue where clark does.He didn't turn houses to rubble for kicks.It was to get better places to live.He had an intuition.He put it into practice.It worked that time.It might have not.If it didn't he would have tried something else complicated.And ofcourse,he would have tried to fixup his goof ups.He does goof up in that issue alone trying to scare some kids.It's from the circus strongmen and was used as part of the old comics.Clark was also this metaphorical gladiator as well.But,the imagery and things like that are carried down.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-31-2021 at 09:24 PM.