Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

From issue 2.

Seems to be Brain Cells casting illusions of Clark to make a final push against Jon's confidence as Superman. We see a hint of this set up with Brain Cells being able to mimic Clark's voice, and that *really* striking a nerve with Jon. This may be where Jon surpasses the shadow of his dad-- at least insofar as raw power via what he assumed made him weaker.

Really hope this isn't the last we see of Brain Cells. He's low key funny, and the fact that he's somewhat of a trickster character whispering venom and sowing seeds of doubt and manipulation rather than just being a big guy to punch is really cool. Even while he's turn himself into a battleship, he's still doing things like using the city as a shield, manipulating Kara, and using projections of Clark to stop Jon.

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

BANNED

I just hope they don't go on with the nonsense that being half human does better than a pure Kryptonian, I'm tired of the stories featuring incredible species only to end up saying they're **** and humans are the best. Kryptonians are infinitely superior to human beings, being half human means that they have to be weaker and more stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I just hope they don't go on with the nonsense that being half human does better than a pure Kryptonian, I'm tired of the stories featuring incredible species only to end up saying they're **** and humans are the best. Kryptonians are infinitely superior to human beings, being half human means that they have to be weaker and more stupid.
    Clark Kent abandoned his child and wife in space with an unknown but thought to be psychopath in a complete moment of ineptitude Kryptonian's are hardly smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    From issue 2.

Seems to be Brain Cells casting illusions of Clark to make a final push against Jon's confidence as Superman. We see a hint of this set up with Brain Cells being able to mimic Clark's voice, and that *really* striking a nerve with Jon. This may be where Jon surpasses the shadow of his dad-- at least insofar as raw power via what he assumed made him weaker.

Really hope this isn't the last we see of Brain Cells. He's low key funny, and the fact that he's somewhat of a trickster character whispering venom and sowing seeds of doubt and manipulation rather than just being a big guy to punch is really cool. Even while he's turn himself into a battleship, he's still doing things like using the city as a shield, manipulating Kara, and using projections of Clark to stop Jon.

I wonder if they’ll all be “Jon’s” father (since everything counts now and they all remember their rebooted histories) or if Braincells is taunting Jon with images of Multiverse Supermen. Basically saying only Clark can ever be Supes and the Multiverse is inherently built upon that belief?

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I mean, at the end of the day it's all metaphor, right? Doomed planets, Kryptonite, and the whole deal. So, the idea of reconciling with yourself and what you think makes you worse leading to what makes you great is a valid and easily understandable metaphor to make. Extra points when you tie the self doubt to being human, and reconciling with those human feelings leading to your power. That said, I appreciate why someone could be frustration by that idea on a technical level even if this is about fictional creatures.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I wonder if they’ll all be “Jon’s” father (since everything counts now and they all remember their rebooted histories) or if Braincells is taunting Jon with images of Multiverse Supermen. Basically saying only Clark can ever be Supes and the Multiverse is inherently built upon that belief?
    The alternate cover aside, I'm leaning more towards it just being Jon's dad given how all of them look exactly the same in the actual book. But I won't totally rule out the possibility.

_________

Can we talk about what seems to be Jon's rouges gallery?! We obviously have the glorious TIME LUCHADORS. But we also have Brainiac (later Brain Cells), The Five Empires, and The Golden Gods of Creon. And all of the threats look capital S SUPERMAN level. And I found it really interesting that Brain Cells called them "wars". Them on top Trojan (any one else notice the Greek references between Trojan and Creon?), it's already a stacked gallery.

Incredible Member

Opening story felt like it was railroaded towards the conclusion of "Metropolis is bottled long-term". Jon doubting himself was good, but are you seriously telling me the dude never once thought "problems could start in Metropolis after it's bottled"? Especially since the way it's presented it seems like he had been considering it for some time. Didn't like how it used Kara, either. Don't care too much for "mind-controlled hero fights other hero" in general. Jon trying to play the "you're trespassing" card on the army was... weird. The best thing about the story was Brainiac, by far.

Mister Miracle was forgettable. It basically only had characterization going for it.

The Guardian story, though, is legit great. The worldbuilding, the characterization for everyone involved, the layouts, "this is the city where anything can happen and you must go beyond thinking outside the box because the box doesn't exist". It's far better than the other two combined, and makes me excited for Sean Lewis' back-ups in PKJ's run.

Did Jon just accuse the military of trespassing on his property as he's actively holding an entire city hostage? Kara please kick his ass some more -____-

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

MAN!that was the most fun i had reading a superman book in ages.There was enough action and conflict.I am gonna give them slack on the action being a bit bland in kara vs jon match with army attacking,atleast there was some.A protagonist who has bitten more than he can chew.But,still felt like will be scaling up like superman always does.
    The Best part, jon defies his "dad".Regardless, of his dad being right or wrong.Jon actually learning what's right is best.Take that!sky parents and earth parents with all that "there is a reason" talk.Kid is gonna do what he feels is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Did Jon just accuse the military of trespassing on his property as he's actively holding an entire city hostage? Kara please kick his ass some more -____-
    heck yeah!the miltary is in his backyard.He is a vigilante.Kara and miltary can try.Finally,a superman with a backbone.A superman who feels like a champion and not a savior.A guy that might mess up but never stops acting.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-05-2021 at 09:47 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Eh. There's being a maverick and then there's being a tyrant. He's teetering on the edge of something he does not want to be. And hopefully that's the point.

He's less a vigilante taking matters into his own hands and more a paranoid child who thinks what's best for everyone is to enforce his will on them, and to hell with anyone with sense who'd rightfully tell him he's wrong. This isn't a very likable take on Jon. This is just the worst parts of New 52 Superman being combined with Superboy Prime, on his way to becoming Injustice Superman.

I'm guessing he'll learn the error of his ways and get the Braniac shaped stick out of his ass when this story concludes. Punch him again, Kara.
    Last edited by Blue22; 01-05-2021 at 10:16 PM.

Eh. There's being a maverick and then there's being a tyrant. He's teetering on the edge of something he does not want to be. And hopefully that's the point.

He's less a vigilante taking matters into his own hands and more a paranoid child who thinks what's best for everyone is to enforce his will on them, and to hell with anyone with sense who'd rightfully tell him he's wrong. This isn't a very likable take on Jon. This is just the worst parts of New 52 Superman being combined with Superboy Prime, on his way to becoming Injustice Superman.

I'm guessing he'll learn the error of his ways and get the Braniac shaped stick out of his ass when this story concludes. Punch him again, Kara.
    like he is trying to rule them.He temporarly tried to take the city away so that a corporate company with zeolets,nor us government doesn't get brain cells and stop city getting destroyed by these guys battling it out for power.(Btw,the trojan company had declared metropolis a free republic).They were already in lawlessness.All this because of Jon and kara were playing by clark's playbook of not interfereing.Meanwhile,common folks didn't much care about them.Got no benefit for their existence.This is jon atleast trying.Regardless of people hating him and whatnot. He intented things to get better for them(common people of metropolis).These guys are telling him he's wrong before the guy even finished what he was intending to do.He wouldn't know for sure he is wrong untill he does actually does something.If he's wrong ,he's wrong.I believe the kid is man enough to take responsibitlity from his will to say "Ok,i am gonna try something here.Things are clearly bad the way it was working".The problem with writing superman with likability in mind is why batman can be an outcast and superman can't.I had enough superman doing percieved good.

No offence but, clark and kara are always too busy up in the sky giving speeches to hope harder.Who was it ,that actually was trying to actually listen to people?Sure,he got played (By a 12th level intellect brainiac).But,so did kara.Clark gets played every now and then.Competence is less important for me.It's depends on skill which some people have and some might need to work on.Jon's will to act is what i like in this chapter.He gets constantly put down by everyone with "you are not enough" thing.And still doesn't deter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Probably not in his lifetime, no. And that's likely part of the whole "something to work towards part".

PKJ acknowledges, in basically every single interview he does, that Jon's destined to be a big deal...eventually.

So, in some ways Jon kind of has two measuring sticks to live up to: his dad, and the man the Legion tells him he'll become. Unfortunately, part of the fun of Jon *not* being Clark is the fact that we'll be able to see flashes of that power or greatness while also seeing him stumble or fall flat on his face.
    Falling flat on his face would be welcomed as long as he is doing things and always trying to make things better.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-05-2021 at 11:19 PM.

So if you miss Jurgens I recommend you check out Generations Shattered, it’s very much within the expected range for Jurgens. You’ll also see an old Triangle Era favorite foe for those of you who like that stuff.

I'm guessing he'll learn the error of his ways and get the Braniac shaped stick out of his ass when this story concludes. But for now...**** this guy. Punch him again, Kara.
    At worst he’s Batman 666 with some Red Son Superman. But he’s not trying to declare himself ruler or started crippling anyone who protests against him. He’s just... bad at being Superman, and when you’re Superman that has massive consequences.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-05-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Actually,clark literally does only things he knows he can handle.He doesn't take risks.He doesn't rock the boat enough.He's usually portrayed as too damn caught up in consequence and what might happen if he tries something.So much so that it feels like he doesn't do anything and all that he cares about is his image.With Jon who fails and But,gives that 'resolute in his way' vibe.The vibe that says "I am gonna keep punching this wall or keep breaking chain" vibe.It feels like it's gonna work.

What i am fearing is them throwing a clark like portrayal at jon.People hating jon and jon trying to be "i am gonna make things right.cause people hate me" instead of "I am gonna make things right.Cause something i tried was wrong and i have to make it right".Another thing i am worried about is lack of humour and light hearted moments.We already had jon saving child from getting hurt.So jon as a protagonist has the compassion of superman.
    Edit-This is the first time i got goldenage feeling from an issue of superman since goldenage or new52.I got the similar feeling to when luffy pulls something in one piece.I don't know if it will last.But this issue was cool.Regardless of the action sequences needing work.That back up issue was also fantastic.It felt exactly like an issue of one piece with world building and showing the consequences of jon's actions.Guardian is neat with his "marine" like heroism.With people going "You can't do that,You can't be the pirate king/superman.You can't punch celestial dragon or can't bottle metropolis to save it".And jon going "Yeah well! watch me".
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-06-2021 at 12:54 AM.

I was far more interested in Guardian's story than Jon's.
    Jon's decision to bottle Metropolis was completely nonsensical. Lewis really didn't sell that very well. I found myself rooting for Supergirl in that fight. Even mind controlled, she seemed to have more sense than her nephew.
    I hope they can explain better what went behind Jon's decision. And how does the city's electricity and communications still work normally?

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I was far more interested in Guardian's story than Jon's.
    Jon's decision to bottle Metropolis was completely nonsensical. Lewis really didn't sell that very well. I found myself rooting for Supergirl in that fight. Even mind controlled, she seemed to have more sense than her nephew.
    I hope they can explain better what went behind Jon's decision. And how does the city's electricity and communications still work normally?
    ok.what else was he supposed to do?Try to play the mediator?Yeah! i don't see that working out.I can understand the whole background of the world being fleshed out.But,isn't there like a limit for how many issues?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-06-2021 at 07:07 AM.