Page 20 of 29 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Joker might be clinically insane.But,that doesn't mean you talk to people who are fighting there own demons with pity and what not(fake pity is even worse).Neither does bruce look for intellectual equality ,that isn't what i meant(intellect and mental health aren't completely interlinked.Someone very smart can suffer from things like ptsd.Heck! there are psycopaths who are geniuses ).Clark is playing the savior and being holier than thou.I hate people like that.

No,there is a difference between this and that.Bruce asks and wonders if they could fix each other.He asks joker to let him help like someone who is going through the same ****.Bruce is always like "maybe i've been there".He knows where the other guy is coming from and understands. And joker declines.That's not a father talking to a son.Clark on the other hand(this version) plays the heavenly father.He doesn't understand lex.He doesn't understand wanting to cling to things.it's not "if you go through with this brother. we are gonna have to fight or worse kill each other".It's more like "Lex,you are a guy who clings to things.my dad told me about guys like you.So i feel sorry for you(without actually feeling it,i might add.So it isn't genuine.It's fake emotions)".
    Ok, fair enough.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    All i am saying that would be a temptation clark feels ,always.To say"to hell with this system" with absolutely no authorities(and many a times he does decide to bring down power structure).And it won't be the houses of the poor that would turned to rubble.If you are asking about that issue where clark does.He didn't turn houses to rubble for kicks.It was to get better places to live.He had an intuition.He put it into practice.It worked that time.It might have not.If it didn't he would have tried something else complicated.And ofcourse,he would have tried to fixup his goof ups.He does goof up in that issue alone trying to scare some kids.It's from the circus strongmen and was used as part of the old comics.Clark was also this metaphorical gladiator as well.But,the imagery and things like that are carried down.
    I mean, does destroying rich houses really help the world? Those huge houses could serve as habitation for dozens of homeless people.

And only in a child's mind does destroying poor houses lead to the government giving them better housing.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Joker is literally clinically insane. If Bruce actually thinks he is doing something good then he shouldn't look at Joker as an intellectual equal. Lex is still considered a rational human being.

But then again, isn't Killing Joke for example a story all about Batman and Joker having a discussion where Bruce tries to fix Joker before it all ends badly? Seems like a careful lecture.

I want Clark to have a bigger impact on the status quo than he usually has, but I definitely don't want that Superman. I mean how does it help the world for him to just destroy poor houses? When a hurricane hits a place I'm pretty sure everyone leaving there is worse off.

Where does that association with chains come from? When was Clark restrained by normal people in the Golden Age? I haven't read all that much. Seems to me like he would be the one character who has never had to worry about being chained.
    If I recall correctly, TKJ ends with Bruce making one last plea to the Joker for them to just stop the madness because it's self-destructive and will likely kill one or both of them. Joker laments he's too far gone. That kind of self-awareness would torture a more classic Bruce who would know there's someone still in there to save.

Modern Bruce and Joker not so much. Bruce would read it as Joker trying to play at his need to save broken people and Joker would absolutely be acting damaged in order to twist the knife in Bruce. Everything about Joker has developed into someone who is convinced you two used to be dating but never actually were; Joker has become Bruce's (classic) Harley Quinn, as in his only motivation involves and he orbits around Batman. It's why I find Joker so insufferable to read now.

Keep in mind the golden age Superman wasn't the most compassionate individual. He had his hard left stance and if you disagreed, well suck it. He was a bully. He was just in your corner so it felt good. He was our champion! But he wasn't exactly a thoughtful, compassionate guy. He wasn't a straight-up *******, but let's just say I don't see that Superman pulling a cat out of a tree for a little girl and flying off.

Siegel/Shuster's Superman was absolutely the hero the world needed at that point. Arguably he may be the one we need now, but Clark's also come to embody the best traits of humanity; he's what we can aspire to be. I know manwhohaseverything doesn't care for that take, but it's what the character's evolved into. For my money, it's a great take but I think he needs a little more of that Golden Age champion of the oppressed willingness to change the world. He's been towing the line for a long time and Superman arguably shouldn't.
    Last edited by Robanker; 02-01-2021 at 12:42 AM.

Incredible Member

Golden Age Superman was most certainly a compassionate guy. Almost everything he did was because he saw people suffering and decided he had to do something to help. He's the guy who believes dealing with war-profiteering weapon dealers manipulating wars in foreign countries and the suffering of a single person he just passed by are equally important. It's just that he was also kind of an ******* (but certainly less so than his Silver Age counterpart).

I just want to say I enjoyed the man of Metropolis issue is it my favorite version of Jon no but for what it was had great art a nice little story, ending was kind of quick but whatever also you can tell their wasn't a lot of unison with these Future State stories, Jon says "he failed at being his father" and needs to become his own man, but flashforward to the Wonder Woman crossover that's all you get so yeah anyways it was solid.
    Last edited by Journey; 02-02-2021 at 06:44 AM.

Having finished Superman of metropolis I just don't... get why editorial mandated this story. All the other replacement heroes are being are being hyped up except for Jon. It's such a strange choice.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Having finished Superman of metropolis I just don't... get why editorial mandated this story. All the other replacement heroes are being are being hyped up except for Jon. It's such a strange choice.
    Their needed to be some payoff after their failu- pardon me investment fucked up the character. Was it worth it no bit at least we got these 2 issues.

They're trying to hype Jonman, desperately so in fact. Its just not working.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I mean, so far pretty much every Future State book in the super line talks about how much he sucks or just doesn't measure up to the likes of Clark and Kara and then... Prove that point. If this is hype than I'd like to see character assassination.

This issue was much stronger than the first, mainly because it didn’t have to do a bunch of info dumps. Lewis actually does a really great job at writing all the different Superman across the eras really well, guessing that Superman is indeed aware of his entire history now after Death Metal:

Even though they’re just illusions created by Braincell I feel like he did a great job at capturing their voices. Props to him for that. I liked the issue but there is unfortunately one failure and it’s the same failure across the line with Jon: I still don’t get a unique voice from him. He’s just diet Clark, same as he’s been since Rebirth really. He doesn’t feel all that different beyond allowing DC to show him making mistakes in a way people got all riled up about when it’s Clark.

However I can’t judge Lewis too harshly because he only had two issues and a status quo given to him by someone else. If he is going to be the guy who writes a solo Jon Superman I will definitely check that out because Lewis at the very least is committed to Jon not ending up being the same as his father. If he actually could follow through on that he has my support.
    I mean, so far pretty much every Future State book in the super line talks about how much he sucks or just doesn't measure up to the likes of Clark and Kara and then... Prove that point. If this is hype than I'd like to see character assassination.
    I think the intent is to show that Jon isn’t a natural like his dad. He can’t just put the costume on and be that guy from Day 1 like his father did, and he’s also struggling under his father’s shadow. He does come into his own by the FS JL time period though.

The Guardian backup was pretty good while Jon was alright and Mister Miracle was meh.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This issue was much stronger than the first, mainly because it didn’t have to do a bunch of info dumps. Lewis actually does a really great job at writing all the different Superman across the eras really well, guessing that Superman is indeed aware of his entire history now after Death Metal:

Even though they’re just illusions created by Braincell I feel like he did a great job at capturing their voices. Props to him for that.
    I totally disagree. They sounded like how Lex Luthor imagines Superman, not like how Superman's inner monologue was during each of those periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think the intent is to show that Jon isn’t a natural like his dad. He can’t just put the costume on and be that guy from Day 1 like his father did, and he’s also struggling under his father’s shadow. He does come into his own by the FS JL time period though.
    Hum, Jon literally spends most of his dialogue in JL romanticizing the way his father and the current JL did things. He did not come into his own. And most origins show Clark being out of his depth when he starts, and making many mistakes. Unless you are trying write from the point of view of Jon, who I guess would think that.

I still don't know what "Swallow your fears like I did during the red scare". What were Clark's "fears" and what does he mean by "swallow them".

Guardian was good too, solid ending. Looking forward to Lewis fleshing out more of Metropolis once he starts on the back ups next month.
    I totally disagree. They sounded like how Lex Luthor imagines Superman, not like how Superman's inner monologue was during each of those periods.

Hum, Jon literally spends most of his dialogue in JL romanticizing the way his father and the current JL did things. He did not come into his own. And most origins show Clark being out of his depth when he starts, and making many mistakes. Unless you are trying write from the point of view of Jon, who I guess would think that.
    They’re evil clones but Lewis does a good job at showcasing each era’s traits despite them being evil clones. Superbro is hands on and direct just like the New 52 incarnation for instance. The Post Crisis dude is wrapped up in overthinking stuff. They challenge Jon in different ways that reflected the mindset of each Superman.

He “came into his own” by earning the planet’s respect, he didn’t separate himself from his father sadly. That’s all I meant.
    I still don't know what "Swallow your fears like I did during the red scare". What were Clark's "fears" and what does he mean by "swallow them".
    Fear of rejection and he swallowed them by not giving any outward sign that he had them. Basically the Pre Crisis Superman kept his emotional state locked up and hidden from the public eye.

It's weird that New 52 Superman's top is dark like Conner's.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

did jon do freaking backflip?Never thought i would ever see that in a superman comics these days.That was bit anti-climatic for me.Issue just didn't have much impactful moments.But,i liked jon being the superman of metropolis.Overall jon feels like a champion in the issue not "grown up" or whatever that means in the room with public goof ups.They should keep that going.I prefer jon being of the people,than above it.Still,i wanted jon to be more contriversial in the city/They should have only had the kid that jon saved be the only one appreciating what jon did.They should have kept the tension between kara and jon as well.Looks like jon found his people(moses thing) though.He's fully committed to metropolis.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-02-2021 at 07:31 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"