Page 22 of 29 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223242526 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I don't feel like it's a job for Jon.
    But it is.

Once Superman stops being just one guy's nickname, and grows into the idea of a title with a standard of expectations that come with it, it's a job. Making the successor to the throne have to deal with it in that way (both the good and the bad of it) is smart. Making the successor get so smart and dedicated about it that they literally itemize their day down to the millisecond is down right inspired of a take.

And one of the coolest parts is that Jon's *not* just dealing with or worried about the sort of stuff Clark would deal with. This issue of Superman/Wonder Woman explains that he's because he's half human he doesn't put himself on the outside of human issues, and that he recognizes that even beyond Solaris, Brainiac, Darkseid, and whomever else, it was ultimately humans that brought themselves nearest to destruction. And as both part human and new holder of the Superman title it's his job to hold people accountable in the same way he holds himself accountable.

But beyond that, you're also looking at a Jon who is decades into the job (he's in his late 30s early 40s here) and the world has progressed so far and feels nearly utopian. So he's not dealing with the same sort of issues he was in Superman of Metropolis.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Yeah the timeline is tough to nail down (deliberately so I assume) but by the SM/WW period while there are still problems Jon implies that the world was able to come together and avert most of them. Basically they’re on the road to the Legion of Superheroes Future despite the initial bump along the way.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Watters is great. Good handle on both high scale fantasy and science fiction, exactly what I’d expect from the writer of Lucifer:

This is exactly the kind of stuff I want Superman dealing with! Would love to see Watters write Jon and Yara more, or to get another DC book at the very least.
    That's some awesome cosmic Superman stuff that I've been sorely missing. Can't wait to read this tomorrow.

Forgive me, but I'm about to go ahead and gush about the writing of Jon's powers in this book

(SPOILERS ahead)

The way Watters frames Jon's, quite frankly, absurd level of power in his further grown state is a joy. Right here he's about as old as we normally know Clark to be at his prime, but the kid is operating at what can comfortably be described as flat out Silver Age levels of power. In issue #1 Solaris comes to Earth after absorbing 300 suns into his core specifically to kill Jon. Not only that, but Solaris also felt the need to make sure he was giving off red sunlight the whole time on top of the previously mentioned 300 suns in order to beat Jon. The funniest part is that the very second Yara made it so Jon got his powers back to full strength, Solaris, the actual living sun who scoffed at the power of a god, turned tail and ran because, as Yara put it, "the color of your sunlight is the only thing stopping Superman from punching you into little robot bits". Just to put it into even more perspective, it was pretty unanimously agreed upon that in terms of raw power no one else on Earth could hope to stand up to Solaris.

The on top of that, the dude races a sun god around Pluto 300 times and back to Earth in the time it takes Yara to shoot Solaris with the black hole gun. They're racing on magic horses at first. So to put the Horses speed into perspective, it takes light from Earth over 4 hours to hit Pluto. They had to have made that trip in less than a minute, and the 300 laps and back must've been minutes at most. That puts the Horses so comfortably at faster than light it's not even funny. Then once Jon gets his powers back to full he not only beats the sun god, but he does it with such little effort that he does a few more laps just for the flex.

Then the chef's kiss final feat is him just getting fed up with the sun god's bs and literally PUNCHING THE SUN thus knocking out the sun god.

It's safe to say Jon was just a "late bloomer" when it came to his power levels, and Batman was ultimately right because this is approaching some Kal Kent ****. But the best part is that even with this absurd level of power you still very much get the feeling of tension and stakes in his life due to how much he decides to pack into just one day every single day.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Incredible Member

For future Slate SM/WW Issue 2 was leagues better then the first issue. Don't know why they spent so much time building lore when there was a dynamic that needed expanding upon.

Is it me though or is the SM/WW book and the justice league book hinting more to their relationship then just being fellow superheroes? Seems like there is more to explore just that they're afraid to develop it more in the books. Well that and there is only 4 books where they actually appear together.

Definitely not their first meeting as solicits suggested so I wonder if there is going to be more down the line?

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    That's some awesome cosmic Superman stuff that I've been sorely missing. Can't wait to read this tomorrow.
    This comic was great! Get this man on a Superman book ASAP!

Quote Originally Posted by ssupes View Post
    For future Slate SM/WW Issue 2 was leagues better then the first issue. Don't know why they spent so much time building lore when there was a dynamic that needed expanding upon.

Is it me though or is the SM/WW book and the justice league book hinting more to their relationship then just being fellow superheroes? Seems like there is more to explore just that they're afraid to develop it more in the books. Well that and there is only 4 books where they actually appear together.

Definitely not their first meeting as solicits suggested so I wonder if there is going to be more down the line?
    A Future State Gotham book just got announced that looks like it will continue the stories of the Bat characters in the FS status quo. Wouldn’t be surprised if another book got announced that continued Jon & Yara’s adventures in FS. Yeah there’s some ship teasing for sure.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I don't feel like it's a job for Jon. He shouldn't be shackled with those problems, he ought to be the Man of the People his father stopped being decades ago. let old Clark, or Kara or whoever deal with those. Jon should be out there stating to powerful people that their bullshit won't be tolerated anymore. Make him more SoM and JL and less SM/WW in a sense.
    Superman should be the guy who is constantly questioning what earth should be like and having a philosophical conversation on what does it mean for us to evolve. That's what Clark is for me, a guy who has to think about the present and the future and make active conscious choices that only he can make because he is such a paragon. And he is leader of systematic change in the world (this obviously hasn't been the case, but it should be).

Jon should absolutely be the guy who wants to push science beyond it's limits in a journey to surpass the wonders of even Krypton. He would start out as a kid experiencing all this crazy stuff his dad gets up to and getting a much better look at the remains of kryptonian technology and culture than Clark had until he was already a fully formed Superman. Jon would essentially be the Superman of outer space, trying to discover and create. He is the silver age Superman, Jor-el with super powers.

And Connor should be the guy with boots on the ground, living in a small steel reinforced apartment in the middle of metropolis in the 3rd floor of a building, where people can scream and throw at his windows things to show their displeasure and he will jump down on the streets and hear their complaints, sometimes justified, other times not. He takes care of supervillains, wife beaters, the mob, cops who harass others and makes sure the democratic, worker run cooperative version of Lexcorp he founded, can stay on it's feet without being overtaken by Wall Street giants or government needs. The Golden Age Superman taken one step further.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-09-2021 at 05:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But it is.

Once Superman stops being just one guy's nickname, and grows into the idea of a title with a standard of expectations that come with it, it's a job. Making the successor to the throne have to deal with it in that way (both the good and the bad of it) is smart. Making the successor get so smart and dedicated about it that they literally itemize their day down to the millisecond is down right inspired of a take.

And one of the coolest parts is that Jon's *not* just dealing with or worried about the sort of stuff Clark would deal with. This issue of Superman/Wonder Woman explains that he's because he's half human he doesn't put himself on the outside of human issues, and that he recognizes that even beyond Solaris, Brainiac, Darkseid, and whomever else, it was ultimately humans that brought themselves nearest to destruction. And as both part human and new holder of the Superman title it's his job to hold people accountable in the same way he holds himself accountable.

But beyond that, you're also looking at a Jon who is decades into the job (he's in his late 30s early 40s here) and the world has progressed so far and feels nearly utopian. So he's not dealing with the same sort of issues he was in Superman of Metropolis.
    Honestly tho, Clark has a lot more reasons to feel human than Jon does. Clark had to actually pretend he was normal until he was like 45 years old. Clark grew up without having a clear outlet for his powers in most versions, while Jon got to live as Superboy half of the time or even more than that. Clark's parents were both normal and he had to do chores on the farm. He had to figure out so much about the universe from the perspective of someone who lived like a human being, instead of having a superhero for a father who would guide him along the way. Clark should have a much better understanding of humanity.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-09-2021 at 05:36 PM.

I don't feel like it's a job for Jon. He shouldn't be shackled with those problems, he ought to be the Man of the People his father stopped being decades ago. let old Clark, or Kara or whoever deal with those. Jon should be out there stating to powerful people that their bullshit won't be tolerated anymore. Make him more SoM and JL and less SM/WW in a sense.
    I think Conner fits that role much better than Jon. For one thing, Conner is actually less human than Jon. On a genetic level they are equal, but Conner is a clone grown in a lab and came out to the world as a teenager. He not only has a better reason to despise authority considering the fact that they created him as a weapon. He also has a much more interesting struggle when he tries to relate to the little guy than Jon, because it's him also trying to be an actual person, rather than just an impersonation like his clone status suggests. Plus he never had any reason to enjoy the status quo being that it exploited him, so he would have more reasons to argue for change on the intimate level, rather than at a grander, more complex level like Clark. And finally, Conner is somewhat weaker (his TTK is hard to compare) so it feels more interesting for him to be the one arguing for change since he is a bit more vulnerable.
    Last edited by Alpha; 02-09-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Superman should be the guy who is constantly questioning what earth should be like and having a philosophical conversation on what does it mean for us to evolve. That's what Clark is for me, a guy who has to think about the present and the future and make active conscious choices that only he can make because he is such a paragon. And he is leader of systematic change in the world (this obviously hasn't been the case, but it should be).

Jon should absolutely be the guy who wants to push science beyond it's limits in a journey to surpass the wonders of even Krypton. He would start out as a kid experiencing all this crazy stuff his dad gets up to and getting a much better look at the remains of kryptonian technology and culture than Clark had until he was already a fully formed Superman. Jon would essentially be the Superman of outer space, trying to discover and create. He is the silver age Superman, Jor-el with super powers. The Golden Age Superman taken one step further.

And Connor should be the guy with boots on the ground, living in a small steel reinforced apartment in the middle of metropolis in the 3rd floor of a building, where people can scream and throw at his windows things to show their displeasure and he will jump down on the streets and hear their complaints, sometimes justified, other times not. He takes care of supervillains, wife beaters, the mob, cops who harass others and makes sure the democratic, worker run cooperative version of Lexcorp he founded, can stay on it's feet without being overtaken by Wall Street giants or government needs.
    I like your conception of how the three work, would love to see a series focusing on all three being “Superman” at different points in time.

Jon has basically had the Pre-Crisis Superboy life where nothing was ever “normal”. His early years were spent in hiding with his parents, then he became Superboy, befriended Damian and went on adventures, got imprisoned by an evil version of his dad, and is now basically trying to figure out who he is and what he wants to be. Definitely love the idea of him being more into the El scientist tradition.

And yeah Kon 100% would be the one with the strongest tie to Metropolis, and the one with the most “boots on the ground approach”.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Honestly tho, Clark has a lot more reasons to feel human than Jon does. Clark had to actually pretend he was normal until he was like 45 years old. Clark grew up without having a clear outlet for his powers in most versions, while Jon got to live as Superboy half of the time or even more than that. Clark's parents were both normal and he had to do shores on the farm. He had to figure out so much about the universe from the perspective of someone who lived like a human being, instead of having a superhero for a father who would guide him along the way. Clark should have a much better understanding of humanity.
    Sort of, and that's also why PKJ will be exploring how Jon is ultimately a "man out of time" with no anchor. But it can't be ignored that pretending to be human while knowing you're clearly not, and being half human and wanting to overcome the shortcomings you feel come with being human are very different human experiences, yet still ring true as human on some level.

But you'll also notice the very slight, but VERY important addition to Jon's way of talking that Clark mostly makes an effort to not use even though he wants to: when talking about humans Jon says "us" rather than "them". Even with Clark growing up on Earth with a relatively normal life, Clark almost never says "us", and still views himself as an outsider to some degree. Jon on the other hand, has almost no issue viewing himself as both Kryptonian and human (for better or worse). Humanity, and the frailty and shortcoming that come with it are things that don't have to be learned if you just are human and see yourself as such.

That's why Jon's words about holding each other accountable as people hits to the core so well.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

i agree with,this is his dad's job.it's not that jon wouldn't do this or help.but,being a cosmic babysitter/dad and putting bandaids on is just what clark does.If jon deals with this kinda stuff .he should be solving the problem.Take the planet somewhere and stabilize an orbit that helps the planet thrive.
    there is no such thing.a utopia where a corrupt politician flies over while common folks are stuck in traffic.Having power and feats is cool and all.But,then there journey to get that powerful.There is no excitement of a challenge and a struggle.It's boring.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-09-2021 at 05:36 PM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Sort of, and that's also why PKJ will be exploring how Jon is ultimately a "man out of time" with no anchor. But it can't be ignored that pretending to be human while knowing you're clearly not, and being half human and wanting to overcome the shortcomings you feel come with being human are very different human experiences, yet still ring true as human on some level.

But you'll also notice the very slight, but VERY important addition to Jon's way of talking that Clark mostly makes an effort to not use even though he wants to: when talking about humans Jon says "us" rather than "them". Even with Clark growing up on Earth with a relatively normal life, Clark almost never says "us", and still views himself as an outsider to some degree. Jon on the other hand, has almost no issue viewing himself as both Kryptonian and human (for better or worse). Humanity, and the frailty and shortcoming that come with it are things that don't have to be learned if you just are human and see yourself as such.

That's why Jon's words about holding each other accountable as people hits to the core so well.
    I just can't quite picture Jon being all that connected to the world. I know the writers want to convince me of that, but I just can't see it. He clearly enjoys being superboy a lot more than just being Jon Kent. Kryptonians probably fascinate him. There is definitely an argument for people to consider Jon more human than Clark, but I think Clark would be a lot more focused on how normal people live life than Jon would. I think Clark is both empathetic and realistic, because he always had to make compromises while living a normal life, whereas the type of compromises Jon had to make were on a scale none of us can understand. And to be clear, Jon did live a normal life, but it was for a much shorter time than Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    i agree with,this is his dad's job.it's not that jon wouldn't do this or help.but,being a cosmic babysitter/dad and putting bandaids on is just what clark does.If jon deals with this kinda stuff .he should be solving the problem.Take the planet somewhere and stabilize an orbit that helps the planet thrive.
    It's Jon's the Kandor, but much more stressful. I'm sure he's actively looking for a more sustainable solution in a similar way that Clark was trying to regrow Kandor, but in the meantime he has to keep that world alive so he does.

And to your comment about power; it's a good thing that Jon's level of power isn't even remotely the point. The story puts far more of a magnifying glass on Jon's responsibilities