Page 28 of 29 FirstFirst ... 18242526272829 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    batman / superman, a comic in which the role of superman is to be the useless victim, that his dna is played with 0 effort and that he is thrown out for being so stupid that he is a threat, while batman is the omnipotent god rescuing the damsel in distress. that this comic is called batman / superman is an insult to superman and his fans, they would simply have to call him batgod and the useless whore.
    To me it was about Superman trusting people and giving them second chances even when he could just beat them up.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Plus, Lex also doesn't seem all that clever here and it feels weird that the solution Superman brings back for the United Planets was "it's cool to effectively steal Lexor's resources, destroying their planet's means of income (ya know, after i invaders and destroyed their infrastructure) in the process, because Lex is a meanie and made the civilians be mean to me too"
    I'm sure that the idea was that "Superman technically didn't steal anything, he just synthesized it", but it rises another question - why he didn't do it earlier? Unless I missed it, these crystals are not "new thing" since UP workers knew what they are so they were present in other planets as well, but Superman probably didn't feel like making them irrelevant since they were on friendly planets? And whole idea that Lex didn't do any geological research on his planet (they were basically on surface!) is mind boggling.

So now planet is still isolated, is still ran by Lex and doesn't have any natural resources. But hey, United Planets solved their energy problems!

K. So Legion was a humungous dumpster fire. Both the art and the story itself. Once again Bendis managed to disappoint me when I actually had my hopes up for something of his. Really hoping his Justice League doesn't turn out the same way because I'm actually kinda looking forward to that too.

But HOT DAMN, House of El was SUPER (pun not intended) GOOD! Like....I really want more of these. The first Future State Superman book to actually fill me with excitement instead of indifference or outright disgust. Hell, next to Wonder Woman I'd straight up call it the best Future State book altogether (granted, that particular bar hasn't been set very high by the other books).

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    To me it was about Superman trusting people and giving them second chances even when he could just beat them up.
    It honestly sounds like naive farmboy routine.Glad i didn't read.
    Anyways, imperious lex was good.As for clark steaing,he did and who cares .It won't be the first time.No,the idea was if these guys are comfortable with stealing and pillaging from the weak.They need to be prepared when someone else does it to them.They chose their leader.Clark played from his old book of tricks.As for lex being not clever,enough.Yeah! that is a complaint.They seriously went all in with the "mwahaha! i am evil and i am gonna monologue"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-24-2021 at 01:16 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superboy-Prime View Post
    She used magic to trick him into fathering a child: https://twitter.com/PhillipKJohnson/...56612895006721
    Arthurian legend, and coincidentally close to the story that introduced me to the bronze age

This House of El story wasn't what I was looking for but it was really good anyway. I wonder if they'll do a Future state megatrade because I have paid very little attention aside from two I like and one I didn't so far
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    I wonder if they'll do a Future state megatrade because I have paid very little attention aside from two I like and one I didn't so far
    They're collecting them by "family", the Superman one will have the below:

Collects Future State: Superman of Metropolis #1-2, Future State: Superman: Worlds of War #1-2, Future State: Superman vs. Imperious Lex #1-3, Future State: Kara Zor-El, Superwoman #1-2, Future State: Legion of Super-Heroes #1-2, and Future State: Superman: House of El #1.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And this may sound strange, but hear me out, okay: Bendis did once kind of extensively compare Superman (seemingly just the general idea rather than Clark specifically) to Tony Stark in that both were futurist heroes in his mind. As his run went on, between the creation of the United Planets and literally going to the future itself to learn from it, Jon seemed to be who he was setting up as the futurist Superman. So, is the Tony Stark-ish mustache and armor a nod to that idea?

I've seriously put far too much thought into this mustache.
    I like it. You can never overthink a mustache

Yeah Batman/Superman was about Clark believing in people but I liked how it didn't come off as excessively preachy at all. Especially since in the preceding panels he burns the place down with heat vision and kinda talks s@#t about it. I thought it was kinda cool how it hit upon both aspects of Superman; he trusts people and gives them second chances, but will go total badass within seconds without a second thought if needed.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Really enjoyed the second issue of Superman vs. Imperious Lex, looking forward to the last issue. Russel’s Luthor feels recognizably Luthor while still standing out from other interpretations.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

Batman/Superman: It's... okay. Superman trusts in people's inner goodness and it pays off. Batman is paranoid and too emotionally constipated to tell his friend "I'm worried about you". So what? This is more like the okay-I-guess Yang of the Avatar comics than the dude who wrote Smashes the Klan to me. Thankfully he'll be going more high-concept with the main book.

House of El: Fun, but ultimately a teaser for future good stories rather than a good story by its own. Like, I expected this to set-up a lot of stuff for the main run, but I didn't expect that to be almost everything it does. Definitely the weakest Superman issue PKJ has written so far.

Suicide Squad: Definitely wouldn't be okay with this as the definitive fate for Kon, but as the alternate future it clearly is? It's awesome. Also the Black Adam back-up had nothing going for it other than being insane, but that was enough. Oh, that sure was enough.

Superman vs Imperius Lex: Not as good as the first issue, but definitely still one of the funnest stories in Future State. Also, it's giving us that badly needed Lois Lane content (and may I remind you that no other FS Superverse story mentions her by name).

So we got last issue of Imperius Lex and it is rather disappointing. I feel like this series definitely didn't live up to its potential shown in the first issue. The problem with trying to address some real life problems is that you have to do them well or it feels hollow. And thats how it ended for me, hollow. For example, point about refugees and mercy was very good, but when you put it into the context of someone travelling to, likely, another star system as a refugee by a spaceship... it just feels tacked on.

I enjoyed it. Definitely one of Russel’s weaker works but it was still funny and I liked how he wrote Lex. For me that kind of allegory works well for Superman, especially since refugees fleeing in a spaceship are very directly relevant to Supes in particular.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I liked this story, but it felt like someone just asked Russel & Pugh to do a fun Superman/Lex/Lois story. I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem like it was part of whatever larger narrative Future State was meant to be setting up.

I'm still a little confused about exactly what Future State was meant to be aside from a way of publishing The Next Batman and any other 5G comic that had already been written and drawn before the axe came down on Didio's plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I liked this story, but it felt like someone just asked Russel & Pugh to do a fun Superman/Lex/Lois story. I enjoyed it, but it didn't seem like it was part of whatever larger narrative Future State was meant to be setting up.

I'm still a little confused about exactly what Future State was meant to be aside from a way of publishing The Next Batman and any other 5G comic that had already been written and drawn before the axe came down on Didio's plans.
    Well it was also a stoppage event meant to buy DC time for Infinite Frontier, as well as tease a bunch of storylines we’re going to see play out: Jon becoming Superman, The Magistrate’s rise in Gotham, Yara becoming Wonder Girl, Jesse Quick showing up with a warning about the Multiverse, Red X and what went down at Titans Academy, and so on and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I enjoyed it. Definitely one of Russel’s weaker works but it was still funny and I liked how he wrote Lex.
    I'm still thinking about getting to Wonder Twins at some point, was it better in your opinion?

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post

This is exactly what it was. It almost felt like someone said "yo we need a base hit in Metropolis because we put Kyrpto in the ground over in Superwoman."

Pugh's Clark is an absolute U N I T. Jesus.

I'm still thinking about getting to Wonder Twins at some point, was it better in your opinion?
    Wonder Twins is my second favorite of his stories right behind Flintstones. It’s as subtle as a bag of bricks but hilarious nonetheless, if you liked Flintstones I’d recommend it yeah.