Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    No, I don't buy it. Kryptonians were more advanced but not inherently superior to humans when it comes to brain power. And a million years ago, we weren't even the same species. We didn't even had started to form stable settlements - we did so something like 10 to 5 thousands years ago, if I remember right ? It's a ridiculous short span of time to go from first settlements to the place we are today. it should be enough in itself to showcase the fact that Kryptonians aren't supposed to be inherently superior to Humans in the brain departement : if they were truly so superior to Earthlings, then they couldn't have refused to heed Jor-El's warnings, because it wouldn't make sense for super-intelligent beings to do so.
    kryptonians aren't same species as us,either.Jor-el is one scientist.That doesn't mean scientific consensus to say the least.For all they know jor el is a quack.All he had was earth quakes.krypton was inherently very hostile and unpredictable,for any real assessment.Think about it,These were superpeople that could have left the planet any time with or without any spaceship (Kryptonians had powers on krypton in some takes).But,they didn't.That means,they didn't want to leave regardless of whatever consequences that might happen.Also,a million years ago there where "humans".as you said,they weren't us.Even,if we go by thousands of year duration.We would still be a lot superior to people 50,000 years or 150,00 years ago.Also,exponential progress isn't exactly guaranteed thing.I believe,our rate of progress would decrease as well.If we look at history,progress/innovation leads to stagnation to different cultures.It took approximatley 100,000 years for us to start agriculture on a mass scale.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-07-2021 at 12:24 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Nonsense.

Beyond the lucky effect Yellow Sun has on them, I've seen nothing to prove that they are naturally superior to humans when it comes to intellect. If it was the cse it'd be next to impossible for Clark to mingle with us, for starter, no matter his upbringing. Or Jor-El wouldn't have sent him on Earth. You don't send newborns to apes !

No, I don't buy it. Kryptonians were more advanced but not inherently superior to humans when it comes to brain power. And a million years ago, we weren't even the same species. We didn't even had started to form stable settlements - we did so something like 10 to 5 thousands years ago, if I remember right ? It's a ridiculous short span of time to go from first settlements to the place we are today. it should be enough in itself to showcase the fact that Kryptonians aren't supposed to be inherently superior to Humans in the brain departement : if they were truly so superior to Earthlings, then they couldn't have refused to heed Jor-El's warnings, because it wouldn't make sense for super-intelligent beings to do so.
    Actually Clark was shown to be MUCH smarter than humans, in Action Comics #12 he was shown to go in a library and read books to perform later a surgery on Lois.
    Kara/Karen is also usually displayed to be much smarter than humans.

And I dont know if this fits for all Origins, but wasnt Clark supposed to be like a leader for humans to show them how to live better?
    And humans and Kryptonians look exactly the same from outside and yellow sun gives them powers.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's not really smart though. That's a combination of powers at work in Action vol 2 #12

Anyway I figure people here are the ones in the know. Clark is supposed to be back in this as a new type of Exile but I'm not sure what that means as it's still a part of this story. Where do I go for... not this? Do I have to wait for that Red and Blue series?
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Got around to reading the first Future State and I really didn't like it. First of all, it kind of felt like the plot and pacing was all over the place. You get dropped into the deep end and the blistering pace left the story with no time to breathe. The story shoves a lot at you from the get go and I think the issue would've benefited from a simpler plot. It's sort of the opposite from the Next Batman, which I quite liked, because the Batman was simple. You could tell it was written by a very experienced writer. The plot was simple, the background was brief but informative enough and the pacing was great. Not the best comic I've ever read, but very classically "good". Everything I felt Batman did right, Superman basically did the opposite of - I don't think it's a very well written issue, unfortunately.

Additionally, I feel some type of way about Jon. I know, dead horse - and while Jon shows more personality than he has since he came back from his Jor-El excursion, it feels cheap, especially since Jon and Kara didn't have a lengthy rapport before this. If Jon was replaced with Conner or PG, then I might be more invested in their conflict, since the issue doesn't really set them up as "friends" or allies before - the issue starts with conflict, which means my investment in their conflict comes only from their prior interactions, which again, very sparse.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever enjoy something with Teen or Adult Jon. I'll always get a feeling so complicated from his age up. It would take a very good writer to make older Jon interesting, especially since the foundations of his new character are so flimsy and made of the storytelling equivalent of straw.
    Last edited by km_sus; 01-07-2021 at 10:04 AM.

That's basically the way I felt, except I don't really think I'm still bugged about the aging process. Even if they were like "some years from now" or it was all time spent in the future or whatever, older Jon has the same problems with me. As I didn't want, this reminded me that I just don't love watching Jon in Clark's shadow versus Clark without all this shadow baggage stuff. The only thing here that worked for me was Kara when she was being herself.

Basically it felt like Batman 666 without the great story surrounding it. I am following in hopes that PKJ molds it into something different

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That's not really smart though. That's a combination of powers at work in Action vol 2 #12

Anyway I figure people here are the ones in the know. Clark is supposed to be back in this as a new type of Exile but I'm not sure what that means as it's still a part of this story. Where do I go for... not this? Do I have to wait for that Red and Blue series?
    What do you mean by “not this”? Future State? We’ll be back in the present day come March, although it’s looking like Jon may still end up becoming Superman there as well. However at least initially, Action and Superman will still be starring and following Clark.

Johnson's got the benefit of being his own writer, but it sounds like he's still on this track. My complaint is aside from quality (though I have issues with my idea of quality) but I feel pretty cheated picking up a book called Superman and getting this other story. If only because right now it's not like there's something else I can pick up to get what I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Johnson's got the benefit of being his own writer, but it sounds like he's still on this track. My complaint is aside from quality (though I have issues with my idea of quality) but I feel pretty cheated picking up a book called Superman and getting this other story. If only because right now it's not like there's something else I can pick up to get what I expect.
    Ah so your problem is basically Jon taking over the role from Clark? DC has seemingly committed to making that happen despite pushback, so yeah I do think Jon will still end up taking over at least for a while. Got no clue on if it will last though. Bears noting that all the Future State books except for Superman and Flash are getting second reprints, so DC may make note of the reception. Or the third round of layoffs coming will throw DC into chaos and cause plans to change yet again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ah so your problem is basically Jon taking over the role from Clark? DC has seemingly committed to making that happen despite pushback, so yeah I do think Jon will still end up taking over at least for a while. Got no clue on if it will last though. Bears noting that all the Future State books except for Superman and Flash are getting second reprints, so DC may make note of the reception. Or the third round of layoffs coming will throw DC into chaos and cause plans to change yet again.
    I don't mind Jon as Future State Superman but it seems like a jump to do it in the present-day so soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't mind Jon as Future State Superman but it seems like a jump to do it in the present-day so soon.
    They are building upto it in present.He is getting his own villains and might get cast
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-07-2021 at 11:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I feel like DC will/has inadvertently screwed Superman as well as Jon because they are leaping before they can walk where Jon as the new Superman is concerned. Already this has the markings of blowing up in their faces, sadly.

I don't understand how they are leaping.Jon has been superman in atleast one or two alternate takes.Superman is already screwed up as far as i am concerned.People use buzzwords like "Hope" and "Edgy" to describe the character than actual aspects of the character or writing.With this the guy atleast gets to go back to his pulp action roots than be stuck with some family drama.As for jon,I am not too worried.The kid will survive.Must say they are doing supersons dirty.
    Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Additionally, I feel some type of way about Jon. I know, dead horse - and while Jon shows more personality than he has since he came back from his Jor-El excursion, it feels cheap, especially since Jon and Kara didn't have a lengthy rapport before this. If Jon was replaced with Conner or PG, then I might be more invested in their conflict, since the issue doesn't really set them up as "friends" or allies before - the issue starts with conflict, which means my investment in their conflict comes only from their prior interactions, which again, very sparse.
    I didn't get the feeling that they were focusing on their relationship at all.It was about kara verbalising her and everyone's feelings regarding jon as superman.Jon's own internal conflict was shown.This ain't like a naruto and sasuke fight.You don't need to know what they mean to each other.You just need to know
    "This is what everyone has thought for years.Leave the boy alone and he'll fail"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-08-2021 at 12:17 AM.

One thing I noticed: In the flashbacks Jon and Kara are working together as a team to take on Brainiac, the Five Empires, the Golden Gods, etc. Maybe that points towards Kara basically being the co-star of Superman if Jon ends up taking over that book?

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I don't really have much interest in dark future stuff, so I'm largely skipping most the Future State stuff with the notable exception of The Next Batman because I adored both The Other History of the DCU and Nick Derrington can do no wrong.

However, I borrowed a friend's copy and...this was not something I have much interest in. I'm glad some of you are enjoying this, but it did nothing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I don't really have much interest in dark future stuff, so I'm largely skipping most the Future State stuff with the notable exception of The Next Batman because I adored both The Other History of the DCU and Nick Derrington can do no wrong.

However, I borrowed a friend's copy and...this was not something I have much interest in. I'm glad some of you are enjoying this, but it did nothing for me.
    Wonder Woman Future State is actually a fun action adventute.