Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Am I the only one who liked the back ups more than the actual feature story?

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't understand how they are leaping.Jon has been superman in atleast one or two alternate takes.Superman is already screwed up as far as i am concerned.People use buzzwords like "Hope" and "Edgy" to describe the character than actual aspects of the character or writing.With this the guy atleast gets to go back to his pulp action roots than be stuck with some family drama.As for jon,I am not too worried.The kid will survive.Must say they are doing supersons dirty.
    You forgot "relatable," haha

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    One thing I noticed: In the flashbacks Jon and Kara are working together as a team to take on Brainiac, the Five Empires, the Golden Gods, etc. Maybe that points towards Kara basically being the co-star of Superman if Jon ends up taking over that book?
    Haven't got my copy mailed from my shop yet so I haven't got the chance to read it, but this idea could be cool. More Kara. Especially since there seems to be no current plans for her to have her own book again following FS (or is there?)
    Last edited by The Frog Bros; 01-08-2021 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    No, I agree. Guardian was MUCH better than Jon's story. Mister Miracle was ok, I felt the story was kind of thin, but I'm more interested in the character than Lewis made me in this take on Jon.

Incredible Member

No. The only part of the book I really like is the Guardian story. Though I found the Jon story better than the Mr. Miracle one.

Of the three: Guardian (also by Lewis) > Jon > Mister Miracle. Lewis has a very good handle on the appeal of Metropolis which he showcased in his Guardian story, and makes me very excited for what his Metropolis backups focusing on Jimmy, Bibbio, Lois, and other Metropolis citizens will look like come March.

So I heard that Superman is the only Future State book of the Trinity that DIDN'T get sold out. Does this reflect disinterest in an aged up Jon Kent, the previous Superman run souring readers, or something else?

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    So I heard that Superman is the only Future State book of the Trinity that DIDN'T get sold out. Does this reflect disinterest in an aged up Jon Kent, the previous Superman run souring readers, or something else?
    I think we'd need to wait to see how well Superman Worlds at War does before answering that.

BANNED

Jon is for the comic, what Snyder is for the cinema, some like him, others hate him, he has divided the fans and that is the worst thing that can happen to a character.

Could be either of the first two, or people just weren’t feeling the issue. It’s very compressed to be fair, you’re thrown in the deep end without much context. But Jon taking over never attracted the same enthusiasm as a Black Batman or a Latina WW. I still say they should’ve put Kenan in the role.

Clark fighting through Warworld though has gotten quite a bit of interest, so we’ll see how PKJ’s stuff is received and how it sells.
    Last edited by Vordan; 01-09-2021 at 03:42 PM.

This could be good if Jon as SuperMAN fails maybe DC will get the hint and both sides can be pleased.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Jon is for the comic, what Snyder is for the cinema, some like him, others hate him, he has divided the fans and that is the worst thing that can happen to a character.
    Actually, I think most people like Jon. It's just that a good portion of those that like him don't want him aged up, not only because of what it does to him but also for what it does to Superman. At some point he should be a teenager, but we are far away from that.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

My only thought about reading the Jon book is that I'm so glad Sean Lewis isn't writing the main book in March, because that was easily the worst superman book I've read in yeas. I imagine this is what people pretend Bendis books are like.

Really hope PKJ knocks it out of the park with his book next week.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Could be either of the first two, or people just weren’t feeling the issue. It’s very compressed to be fair, you’re thrown in the deep end without much context. But Jon taking over never attracted the same enthusiasm as a Black Batman or a Latina WW. I still say they should’ve put Kenan in the role.
    I thought of Val Zod or Calvin Ellis instead. Bu Kenan would've fit too the all-new all-diverse DC of "5G".

Quote Originally Posted by km_sus View Post
    Got around to reading the first Future State and I really didn't like it. First of all, it kind of felt like the plot and pacing was all over the place. You get dropped into the deep end and the blistering pace left the story with no time to breathe. The story shoves a lot at you from the get go and I think the issue would've benefited from a simpler plot. It's sort of the opposite from the Next Batman, which I quite liked, because the Batman was simple. You could tell it was written by a very experienced writer. The plot was simple, the background was brief but informative enough and the pacing was great. Not the best comic I've ever read, but very classically "good". Everything I felt Batman did right, Superman basically did the opposite of - I don't think it's a very well written issue, unfortunately.

Additionally, I feel some type of way about Jon. I know, dead horse - and while Jon shows more personality than he has since he came back from his Jor-El excursion, it feels cheap, especially since Jon and Kara didn't have a lengthy rapport before this. If Jon was replaced with Conner or PG, then I might be more invested in their conflict, since the issue doesn't really set them up as "friends" or allies before - the issue starts with conflict, which means my investment in their conflict comes only from their prior interactions, which again, very sparse.

Unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever enjoy something with Teen or Adult Jon. I'll always get a feeling so complicated from his age up. It would take a very good writer to make older Jon interesting, especially since the foundations of his new character are so flimsy and made of the storytelling equivalent of straw.
    i wasn't a big fan either. As you say the plot and pacing had serious issues. It probably had to do with trying to create and introduce a new world in a short format. Seemed like there was a lot of explaining of why things are the way they are. kind of the worst aspects of Silver Age comics. It doesn't immediately make clear that Brain Cells is the villain until half way through as the people he's controlling seem to have a lot of free will and seem to be engaging the overbearing police. Plus Jon takes the nuclear option way too soon. I know he's supposed to be more impulsive than his dad but that was just silly. Needed to get Brain Cells far enough away from the people to loosen his hold on them. Why not just fly it into space?!? Kara who is supposed to be influenced by Brain Cells is actually made reasonable points. Jon just went full Brainiac on Metropolis, damn right she should be upset. Then after he shrinks and bottles the freaking city he thinks, woops maybe that wasn't a good idea.

The Shilo Norman backup was pretty bland. Hero fighting a threat as his power levels are depleting. We've seen this in countless Green Lantern stories.

The Guardian story was actually good. I just wish they would have used the Mal Duncan version of Guardian.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan58 View Post
    I think we'd need to wait to see how well Superman Worlds at War does before answering that.
    I think it's going to do pretty well mainly because Janin's art.
    Last edited by Robotman; 01-09-2021 at 04:49 PM.