Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

It took me a little while, but I was finally able to read Uncanny X-Force (2013) #12.

I haven't read most of that X-Force run. I tried to see if there were more issues than just #12, but I just couldn't do it.

I didn't like that comic to begin with, and gave up on it early. Time and distance from when it was published haven't really made me think differently.

I hate to be this critical of any comic, but that comic was complete trash. It is one of the worst comics that I have ever read.

As far as the art, the regular artist was pretty good. I believe that it was Garney. The art for issue 12 was not very good. To me, The anatomy looked off in many of the panels. I also thought that Spiral looked a little to skinny. Those are just my opinions. I wouldn't doubt if the artist has improved. Everyone needs to work at their craft to become better at it. No matter what your craft is.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Could you believe that I haven't read it? So I can't have an opinion about it, sorry.

As for the artist, I think it's Adrian Alphona. Sorry again, but I personally like his style very much. Again, a matter of taste, I guess...

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Could you believe that I haven't read it? So I can't have an opinion about it, sorry.

As for the artist, I think it's Adrian Alphona. Sorry again, but I personally like his style very much. Again, a matter of taste, I guess...
    I am surprised haha. I did look at Adrian Alphona's work - it has improved over time so this issue is an earlier, rougher sample of their work. I highly recommend the full series (as well as the tie in parts of Cable and X Force, the ending wont make sense if you didn't know that the two series intertwine at the end). Do give it a read if you have the resources available to you as it's the best Spiral involved story that doesn't really involve Mojo at all. Tough it does show two times that her experiences with Mojo are the most traumatizing things of her life (rightfully so!). Also, some of the character development seems to have carried over somewhat into the post HoXPoX world. Would like to hear your thoughts on it even if we don't agree on the art style haha!

Astonishing Member ohsnapulon5000's Avatar

Ok I just thought of something: If Spiral’s issue is that she’s a broke ass Sorceress tethered to Mojo- then why not bring back the Body Shoppe?! Make it it’s own weird background element in mutantdom where she makes money by upgrading the dna of mutants who wanna look a certain way so they no longer have to alter their appearance through human means. Finally get ur hair to grow blue instead of dying it, Nori. Make Tempo a bottle blonde from resurrection! Who wants more arms? Spiral can do that too!

Let the Body Shoppe return as an extreme body morphing, aesthetic palace. A controversial haven for mutants who are reclaiming their body autonomy so when they get resurrected- they look exactly how they’ve dreamed no matter how freaky deeky. And then Spiral can make money!

I've been begging for the Body Shoppe to return. Spiral is the Ursula of the Marvel Universe. She'll give you whatever you want in exchange for "a token, really, a trifle."

Spectacular Member

So, she did get some panel time in some of the issues of X-Factor. The Body Shoppe does exist in Mojoworld and it has a Starbucks type logo only with Spiral there instead of the mermaid.

IIRC, they rescued a lot of mutants/people from Mojo world but Spiral got left there unfortunately, and wasn't mentioned in the final few chapters (though I believe the series got canceled and cut short so that part is understandable). It would be really cool if she got to do more things away from Mojo but that seems to be really rare.

I’ve said it before, but I wish Spiral and Longshot would get away from the X-Universe. They’re not mutants, and would be better suited to the larger Marvel Universe. The original Longshot series wasn’t x-related at all, and it was great!

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    I’ve said it before, but I wish Spiral and Longshot would get away from the X-Universe. They’re not mutants, and would be better suited to the larger Marvel Universe. The original Longshot series wasn’t x-related at all, and it was great!
    I almost want her to be retconned to a mutant so she can be more easily included in other stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    I almost want her to be retconned to a mutant so she can be more easily included in other stories.
    I mean, Juggernaut isn't a mutant yet he's constantly being featured in new stories.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I mean, Juggernaut isn't a mutant yet he's constantly being featured in new stories.
    True. But it seems like she takes a back seat more so than other non mutant x-verse characters. Also always winding up with Mojo kind of hurts her.

In Uncanny X-Men #206, when the X-Men are ambushed by Freedom Force, Spiral easily takes out Phoenix, saying Rachel is “rich with time” and if she stole it she could be young for an eternity, but further says she must play by Freedom Force’s rules for the time being. Despite these "rules" she used the Body Shoppe to transform Lady Deathstrike, Cole, Macon and Reese, so what was the real deal here?

Spectacular Member

So some actual news (a month old but I don't see it posted anywhere) - Iron Studios is actually make a 1/10 scale figure of Spiral!
    https://youtu.be/Fii3KIkfHoo

To those who may be nitpicky - the arms are all flesh with just metal coverings - hands all have 5 fingers not 4. Hair and boot fur has tinges of the power blue coloring, not full white.

However overall it looks really nice and I'm surprised they made one. So far it's a pre-order that ships OCT next year.

Completely ruined by giving her the wrong number of fingers…. I would have bought this too, but that’s ridiculous.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    Completely ruined by giving her the wrong number of fingers…. I would have bought this too, but that’s ridiculous.
    True, but keep in mind it's also a prototype that's shown. They may correct some of the issues. Also, other depictions (albeit later ones) use 5 fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostfire View Post
    True, but keep in mind it's also a prototype that's shown. They may correct some of the issues. Also, other depictions (albeit later ones) use 5 fingers.
    I wouldn’t even know how to contact the people making it, or I’d do it.

Just because one person makes an artistic mistake, doesn’t mean everyone else needs to as well. All denizens of the Mojoverse have three fingers and a thumb. This was well established in the Longshot series and it wasn’t until the 90’s artists started screwing it up. Then the next time the next artist uses newer pictures as inspiration and also does it wrong. And so on and so forth. It’s like a really bad game of telephone only with art.