Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

Delete message.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by SplinteringHeart View Post
    I think I get where gravage is coming from: frustration at Hulk being such an outsider and a foil to many other characters instead of having a home somewhere in 616...but there can only be room for Hulk in the world if he's "intelligent Hulk"..he is though the outsider, the Frankenstein's monster...

In his own title at least what Ewing seems to be doing is a thorough examination of the Hulk's psychosis..his "split personalities", looking again at the trauma of Bruce's childhood inflicted by his father....

I am starting to find it hard going now, Ewing's run is becoming like a jigsaw puzzle with many pieces to be put in but just more keep popping out again!

We'll have to see where it goes now after 41 issues, I'm sure Ewing has an end game, but who the hell knows when that's coming and where it goes to for the character..
    Issue 50 will be the final one.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by gravage View Post
    Lifetime Hulk fan here. I've been collecting his book since the early 80's. I don't think there's a single character I identify with more.

The new Immortal Hulk series started out great. The Hulk was powerful, he was triumphant. He was intelligent. It was a nice change of pace. Then, it was as if Ewing decided that it was time to just beat him down and never stop. Devil Hulk was effectively shoved to the side. We got "Big Guy" AKA the dumb hulk, a child who lashes out and just got stomped by everyone. Now Devil Hulk is supposedly dead and every book seems to be about the Hulk getting stomped by someone or the Leader's plans just further screwing him over. How did we go from a Hulk who hit Thor so hard he gave him a concussion to a Hulk who can't catch a break and gets defeated by everyone?

My problem with this is, it's historically how Marvel has treated him. In alternate universe stories like the Last Avengers Story (and many others), the Hulk is usually a Villain or just soundly defeated somehow. Even in mainstream continuity, he's rarely given his due. He gets to be awesome for like one or two books and then it's like even Charlie Brown can beat him up. Even the Maestro series, which I seriously looked forward to, has been disappointing in this respect. He got trashed by Hercules and never even really got to have a comeback fight against him. He was supposed to be the strongest he had ever been as Maestro and I don't feel like that was even demonstrated in the series (so far) at all.

I know he can't win all the time. I know there has to be a conflict and high stakes. But it just seems like Marvel likes to use his power level as a standard for other characters to defeat, to show how powerful they are in relation. He rarely gets to shine.

I looked at the solicitations for the next several issues of Immortal Hulk and it does not look like it's going to get any better. There's a fight with the U-Foes, which solicits them hunting a "weakened" Hulk. Oh boy. He has been "weakened" for about 12 issues now. When do we get a full power Hulk back doing what he does best? Who would have liked to see a full powered Devil Hulk fight the U-Foes? I would have. The last good fight he had with them was during the Professor Hulk run.
    I’ve read all hulk runs since Byrne and the current one is probably the best together with Peter David’s, learn to enjoy the stories instead than focusing on how powerful a character looks like, that’s totally irrelevant.

Plus, Marvel hates the Hulk? Hulk and Daredevil are the two characters that always had the more consistent, high quality runs and writers in the last 25 years.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PeterParked View Post
    Issue 50 will be the final one.
    Ah, right, that's where we're going to then, I'll keep at it and see how it unfolds...

Cheers

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think Devil (and now Bruce) might've been sidelined so there could be a bit more focus on "Joe" who has now also replaced Banner as the Hulk's human form.
    I've always been a fan of the Fixit personality. The Peter David run with Gray Hulk was my favorite of all time. But even the Joe Ewing gave us was gimped. He isn't even a Hulk anymore. I was a huge fan of the Devil Hulk, but we haven't had him around for quite a few issues now. The story has just become depressing for me.

That's the whole point of Hulk. He's the strongest there is which is why it is so hard to come up with anything interesting for him to do that doesn't involve him being an uncontrollable monster. (which is why World war Hulk is the best Hulk story line)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    That's the whole point of Hulk. He's the strongest there is which is why it is so hard to come up with anything interesting for him to do that doesn't involve him being an uncontrollable monster. (which is why World war Hulk is the best Hulk story line)
    Honestly, I feel like that idea is exactly what's limiting him.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outburstz View Post
    Eh, I have to disagree. PAD did plenty with Hulk that had little to do with smashing

I think part of the problem is that Hulk is a complex character, with a lot of darker storylines dealing with psychology, mental illness, cycles of a use, and the consequences of violence, as well as massive fights, exhilarating action, a raw cathartic rage.

But the Hulk of movies, cartoons etc. Isn't that. He's the Avengers big green pet. And a lot of writers are, sadly, more influenced by the latter than the former.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    But the Hulk of movies, cartoons etc. Isn't that. He's the Avengers big green pet. And a lot of writers are, sadly, more influenced by the latter than the former.
    Unfortunately, the previous movies tried to go into those topics with the Hulk, and they wound up being unpopular. Naturally, his most popular portrayal was when he wasn't actually important to the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Unfortunately, the previous movies tried to go into those topics with the Hulk, and they wound up being unpopular. Naturally, his most popular portrayal was when he wasn't actually important to the movie.
    Pretty sure it's just that they don't have the movie rights.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ptrvc View Post
    Pretty sure it's just that they don't have the movie rights.
    It can't be that since the previous movies were just considered average at best, anyways.

I think it's a bit like the Spider-Man deal or something; Universal owns at least partial film rights so the Hulk can't really be in a solo film unless they're involved or distribute it or something like that (Remember both Hulk movies were pre-Disney). Hence Hulk being a co-star since Disney bought the MCU. I'm not sure if that extends to Hulk side characters like Ross and Talbot who have shown up in non-Hulk stuff.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Fantastic Member

All I know, is I'm excited about the current storyline, and looking forward to seeing Sterns getting his butt handed to him. And I'd specifically love to see Leader humbled, by both Bruce and Joe.