Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magic Pill

A ghost from the past. Fervidor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    As long as you live, of course the definition of living must be the same as it is for any human. If you turn yourself into a Vampire or a Zombie or a walking skeleton, for example, then that is not Living. You don't have to be 'Human', but you do have to be alive in the same way a living human is alive.

Life Extension must be approached with extreme caution. If you make a mistake, you might lose the powers.
    Interesting. I assume that doesn't cancel out magic I have already worked before then, though? At least, it should work that way with magic that maintains ontological inertia. Like if I use my magic powers to turn into say a vampire, I lose the magic but I'm still a vampire.

There's room for workarounds here. With the right powers I can probably set up contingency failsafes in case of undeath or possibly even actual death.
    "This doesn't look easy. But I bet it is!"
    -Homer Simpson.

"Optimism through stalwart skepticism is a defect not everyone is lucky enough to be cursed with."
    -Homestuck.

My favourite Magical Character remains Raistlin Majere, circa the War of the Twins, after he absorbs Fistandantilus and learns the final secret of the Abyss. I'll take that thanks.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Yes.

There are any number of Anima Sorcerers with absolutely insane levels of power, but the most important parts of said power are the ability to resurrect the dead and grant eternal life (essence and creation magic, and I'm 100% sure I can find some ridiculously potent sorcerer in the books who has both of those paths).
    I was going to say "Taran if he'd finished all the stuff I wanted him to do", but then I realize you wanted Essence, and he took Illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    The powers have to be clearly defined as Magic. As long as the power or powers used by that character are defined in that way, then it counts.
    I was thinking about the choice, and that makes me think; Do I inherit the paradigm of the caster I take? Like If I chose a D&D cleric, would I have to pray each day to determine what spells I receive? And that brought forth other metaphysical questions, like "If a person who picks D&D Cleric prays for spells each day and gets them, does that imply that in one of the alternate planes of existence D&D spells can go to, there's a God or powerful spirit-thing granting them those spells?" or "Would you be able to tell the difference between that, and a Magic Pill that only gave you spells if you pray for them because that's the paradigm you wanted?" And so I offer these questions to the board to make people think.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Quote Originally Posted by The MunchKING View Post
    I was going to say "Taran if he'd finished all the stuff I wanted him to do", but then I realize you wanted Essence, and he took Illusion.

I was thinking about the choice, and that makes me think; Do I inherit the paradigm of the caster I take? Like If I chose a D&D cleric, would I have to pray each day to determine what spells I receive? And that brought forth other metaphysical questions, like "If a person who picks D&D Cleric prays for spells each day and gets them, does that imply that in one of the alternate planes of existence D&D spells can go to, there's a God or powerful spirit-thing granting them those spells?" or "Would you be able to tell the difference between that, and a Magic Pill that only gave you spells if you pray for them because that's the paradigm you wanted?" And so I offer these questions to the board to make people think.
    Magic is one part learned skill and one part power. Most magic requires a certain level of casting, of incantation, or other methodology. So, if you want a character's magic, then you also get the basic knowledge of how to use or invoke it. If doing so means praying then you will have to pray. If a magic set requires waving a magic wand and speaking Latin, then that is what you will need to do.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

E-Liter3K Scoped Headshot The MunchKING's Avatar

Hmmmmm... That may make Scion 2nd Ed a bit problematic, as while you could wrap pretty much everything up in "Magic", the main way to get more of the casting resource was sacrifices to the Gods. Although on the principle that Zeus can grant himself power to fit with the paradigm, I wonder if I could sacrifice to my own glory to regain Legend?

*ponders some more*

It would even fit with the Theoi virtue of Egotism, as if I didn't have enough of a boost on THAT in my RPGs.
    The MunchKING is Back! And he is AWSOME!

Hmmmmm... That may make Scion 2nd Ed a bit problematic, as while you could wrap pretty much everything up in "Magic", the main way to get more of the casting resource was sacrifices to the Gods. Although on the principle that Zeus can grant himself power to fit with the paradigm, I wonder if I could sacrifice to my own glory to regain Legend?

*ponders some more*

It would even fit with the Theoi virtue of Egotism, as if I didn't have enough of a boost on THAT in my RPGs.
    I'm running Scion 2e game right now. My players are about to make the jump to Demigod. Nice to see another fan in the wild

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Something like Bewitched magic would work just lovely. Conveys long life, teleportation, time travel and outright trivial effortless reality warping. I wouldn't do anything nasty with it, but I'd have enough money to live comfortably, my family and I would be healthy, I'd be out of risk doing the risky things I love to do and I'd be anywhere in the world I want to be, whenever I want to be there. All that and no real downside, as long as you don't do anything so flashy that people notice.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Who are they?
    Lambdadelta, the Witch of Certainty.

Bernkastel, the Witch of Miracles.

The Recipe for Disaster Blackid's Avatar

Pop the pill -

Constantine or Dr Fate.
    The Recipe for Disaster asks for Blasphemy, but as for me, ask for me, I give it gravity.

BANNED

I'll take the pill and have the powers of Puni Puni Poemi, the magical girl from Hell. Who grabbed a nuclear missile in flight, threw it back down at the ground causing it to detonate in her own face and mistakenly destroyed the armies of two nations, went home covered in fallout, and pretty much ignored all of it.

Does Shuma-Gorath count as magical?

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Does Shuma-Gorath count as magical?
    I hesitated on people at that level (and higher). Does Shuma Gorath? Does the Dorm? Does Lucifer Morningstar?
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I hesitated on people at that level (and higher). Does Shuma Gorath? Does the Dorm? Does Lucifer Morningstar?
    I decided a big ‘No’ on Lucifer, Michael, Spectre etc. That’s an almost primal heavenly power.

Neron, maybe though.

(Which my phone wanted to change to Enron, and I suppose that was almost equally as unholy.)

I take the magic pill and choose Shang Tsung.
    My Forum check it out

Bruceleegreyhulk's RPG & Story Forum

Characters: Cyber Samurai, Wilima Stonewall, Red Oni, Jaakobah , Giduiz Mazi, Midas Goldsteel

Gambit: Gambit see your bet and raise it, because the cards always be in my favor.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Yeah, I require the Essence path for a solid resurrection spell. Sorry Taran. :(

Eltheldrea, the First Sorceress (I use the French translation), is the way to go. She's a Messenger, and her detailed write-up flatly states that she knows 'all spells and rituals'.

...there was a lot of complaining on the Anima forum when I brought that up, with people saying 'No, she can't possibly, the rules prevent it...' and 'Anima Studios has stated XYZ about Eltheldrea', but for the purpose of this thread it's point-blank stated in the canon rulebook (Gaia II) that she actually knows all spells and rituals.

So I'm pretty safe with that choice.

EDIT: Thank goodness for Arcana Exxet, or the resurrection thing would be limited to 'a few months dead'.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 01-11-2021 at 05:26 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate