Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    The X-Men were basically rebooted conceptually and Hickman was building the world they are in. The worldbuilfinh phase was completed when Mars became Planet Arrako.

So now they have time for more conventional stories.
    Yes I think you are right, Krakoa and Arrako are it from the moment and I am ok with this, I am ready to read conventional stories, I just want the character work is also there along with the plot and I would not mind more interaction with the main MU.
    "To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

"To the X-men then, who donīt die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Quote Originally Posted by Lucyinthesky View Post
    Now how marvel goes around with his character, not very well, I think they donīt want to get too much into politics so they prefer to reduce magneto to the supremacist villain who wants to slave humanity or the cool edgy guy when heīs neither, really, without getting too much into politics and thatīs fine because comics donīt have to be serious or super complex all the time but I do take issue when a writer like tries to erase everything about his character until heīs unrecognizable, because he presents a good counter argument to the X-men traditional pov and thereīs space enough for their povs to be right while at the same time not being enough to address the mutant particular situation, giving way to other povs that may help enrich even more the X-men Mythos.
    Actually, when you talk about Magneto, you talk about the Magneto that was enriched by Claremont: he gave him reasons for his actions, a believable background… The very first Magneto wasn’t sympathetic at all.

So, it makes sense that the actual Magneto is a mix between different versions made by different authors…

But what I don’t like is a simplistic Magneto after having had a complex and clever Magneto. I have the impression that authors use him now as a symbol, a scarecrow for humans that loves to go all mysterious and sentientious, the “Old Mutant Glory” that went through so many battles… If so, he’s good for the pension. The only Magneto I accept is the one who is looking for an equilibrium…
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Actually, when you talk about Magneto, you talk about the Magneto that was enriched by Claremont: he gave him reasons for his actions, a believable background… The very first Magneto wasn’t sympathetic at all.

So, it makes sense that the actual Magneto is a mix between different versions made by different authors…
    Yes I understand your point but even silver age Magneto wanted an island for mutants while being deeply mad and his first attack on the military involved him getting rid of weapons of mass destruction, not kill off every human on sight just because he could. So Claremont didnīt brought his version of the character out of nothing, he used what was already there and used it to enrich the story and in this way, also enrich the X-men mythos, because now they had a worthy opponent to fight, someone that challenged them not only physically but emotionally as well. So while I understand other writers having a different take from Claremontīs it actually feels like cheating when they also forget to give continuity to what was done before because itīs easier to write a purely evil character.

But what I don’t like is a simplistic Magneto after having had a complex and clever Magneto. I have the impression that authors use him now as a symbol, a scarecrow for humans that loves to go all mysterious and sentientious, the “Old Mutant Glory” that went through so many battles… If so, he’s good for the pension. The only Magneto I accept is the one who is looking for an equilibrium…
    Agree with you I also definitely prefer clever and complex Magneto over a simplistic one and you are totally right that some takes on him in the Krakoa era had been simplistic even if they donīt go as far as previous stories, they do seem to focus too much on the "separatist view of Magneto" and in doing so justifying Krakoa main stance on humans while conveniently forgetting that even villain 90īs Magneto ruled an island that consisted in both human and mutants and he ruled for both groups of people.

I loved what Duggan did with him on Planet Size because it makes sense for him to look to built a home for Arrako mutants and also to stop a future war between them and the rest of the world, heīs like, been there, done that, lest move on and do something different which is totally in character for complex and clever Magneto as well as him offering Islan M for refugee humans during the king in black crisis but yes, in other titles he has been more a symbol of the past, or someone who convenitently says yes to every suggestion of Charles and Moira and thatīs just not how the character is with Inferno being the sole exception.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 11-27-2021 at 06:35 AM.

Comicedit by erikeinsenhardt

TRIAL OF MAGNETO Uncanny X-men #200

Dark Ages #3

SWORD #7

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    You make plausible points but I find it really hard to believe Magneto's rationale for taking responsibility for his actions 'away' from his Jewish roots is so as not to malign his own people. Most times he blankets humanity as a group beyond hope, that's his difference with Xavier ,his trust in humanity is pretty much gone vis-a-vis mutantdom.So I find that rationale (even if on panel) so hollow that I'm not surprised writers try to avoid this elephant in the room.Despite all the contortions that have to be done to give Magneto a modicum of justification ,they can't land.Anyway it is what it is at this point, it's always what writers want readers to do ,just buy into the narrative no matter how contrived or ridiculous or counterintuitive.
    I would say he blankets human institutions more than humanity itself as he said on the scan from his trial and also his orgin story when he breaks links with "control" , the spy agency in which he was working as a nazi hunter, to begin his personal crusade for mutants. His problem is with the goverments of the world and their way of dealing with issues, not so much the individuals, the problem are the lengths to which heīs going to go on his personal crusade, his methods, which were the reason for his fight with Xavier and the X-men. His crusade has already cost him part of his links to his jewish heritage, there was an interesting story from the 90īs in which Sabra, a super hero from Israel, was send to assessinate him as punishment for his actions after part of his real name was discovered, so some stories have been done to addres this situation if briefly and not much has been done with it since then, certainly Claremont and Cullen Bunn tried but other than them, is just not explored. You make a good point that marvel could do more to address this with the character inside universe but besides the holocaust,marvel doesnīt really bother to explore his jewish identity further than that or ries to explore how being a german jewish from WWII colors his perception of the world and itīs a great shame because itīs a fascinating story still left to be told.

Also I donīt think any of the current writers, besides maybe Ewing or Duggan, would be willing to tell a story like this, I would love to read it and I have some ideas about Magnetoīs personal pov when it comes to his Jewish heritage but until marvel starts writting him as a jewish character outside his holocaust background, I donīt think we will see much material for him on this front.

In the mean time I will treasure small moments like this one, I didnīt always like Cullen Bunnīs take on Magneto but this one moment was so good

Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-04-2021 at 11:43 PM.

Marvel Comics has revealed a new teaser for Immortal X-Men, one of the new series recently announced for March in the Destiny of X era of X-Men. The teaser features Magneto literally walking away from Xavier and Destiny. Immortal X-Men #1 is set to launch on March 30th, 2022 by Kieron Gillen and Lucas Werneck.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 12-21-2021 at 05:13 PM.