Default At What Point Did Savage Dragon "Jump the Shark?"

At what point did Larson's Savage Dragon have its narrative fall off? Everyone who has read it knows that The Overlord Saga (the miniseries and issues #1-21) is a masterpiece. At what point did it start to go bad or jump the shark?

OR, did it do the impossible and remain great forever? LoL.

Astonishing Member

I was great until issue 76. The Savage World arc and the whole idea made the book confusing. Before there were already multiple storylines yes, and it juggled a lot, but that was quite interesting.
    After that, up to this day its complicated with alternate timelines and characters from this and that time running around. I wonder how Erik keeps track of it.

After awhile, when the savage World arc was over it got back on track and was really great again. When Dragon died and Malcom took over it cooled down again, but was still a good read. Erik jumped the shark when he put too much sex in the book. I know its a book for adults, but I reads like a book that is a bit immature sometimes. The sex stuff got ridiculous, and isn't funny. For my taste its not a bad idea to put sex in a comic, if it fits the situation, but in Savage Dragon its distracting, more or less.

With that being said, I appreciate the book and more so that Erik Larsen is one of the most dedicated men in the business. I still buy it, and enjoy it, mostly.

I can't remember anyone who is so in love with his creation and goes a long way with it, and no matter what we as a reader think, he is doing what he wants to do in his book. And that's enviable.

Savage Dragon has changed and evolved constantly throughout it's entire run, so I don't think you can say it ever "jumped the shark". It's a very different book now than it was at #1. Unless by "jump the shark" you mean "when did you stop liking it"?

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Cheat View Post
    Savage Dragon has changed and evolved constantly throughout it's entire run, so I don't think you can say it ever "jumped the shark". It's a very different book now than it was at #1. Unless by "jump the shark" you mean "when did you stop liking it"?
    Yeah it's like saying that a long running soap or a show like Monday Night Raw jumps the shark. There are gonna be parts you like more and parts you can't stand but it can't really jump the shark.