Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I kinda agree with a few other posters on this thread that there can never truly be a definitive Spider-man story but I'll play along. LOL

A definite story, one that comes close for me is: Spider-Man: Life Story. I recently read the whole thing and I kinda loved it. Spider-Man's whole story from the 60s all the up till now. He got his powers, He did the superhero thing. He got OLD, He married, he had kids, and he inspired others and of course HE died heroically.

My all time favorite Spider-Man story: Amazing Spider-Man Vol 2: Happy Birthday! Issues #57, 58, and renumbered to 500.

I'm actually Amazed that not alot of ppl give this Arc the love that it deserves. It's my all time favorite Arc with 500 being my all time favorite issue. Dormammu has invaded Earth and instead of Waiting on Doctor Strange to handle it the Heroes of 616 fight the good fight and Reed Comes up with some science mumbo jumbo that actually destroys everything LOL. But Strange was able to reach to Spidey, and fling him into the past or something like that. And so he has to fight every single villain, relive every single moment of heroism and tragedy in his life in order to 'catch' back up to the moment Reed destroyed everything.

It's an awesome story plus this story is where the Spider-Man the last stand suit originated.

Mighty Member

The "best" Spider-Man story is ASM 121-122, "The Night Gwen Stacy died", but it's not my favorite because it makes me sad.

My actual favorite is probably another sad tale "The Death of Jean DeWolff". A dark horse for the title though is "The Madness of Mysterio" ASM 66-67. Fun Mysterio story that's a great Peter Parker character study.

Quote Originally Posted by the nomad View Post
    I kinda agree with a few other posters on this thread that there can never truly be a definitive Spider-man story but I'll play along. LOL

A definite story, one that comes close for me is: Spider-Man: Life Story. I recently read the whole thing and I kinda loved it. Spider-Man's whole story from the 60s all the up till now. He got his powers, He did the superhero thing. He got OLD, He married, he had kids, and he inspired others and of course HE died heroically.

My all time favorite Spider-Man story: Amazing Spider-Man Vol 2: Happy Birthday! Issues #57, 58, and renumbered to 500.

I'm actually Amazed that not alot of ppl give this Arc the love that it deserves. It's my all time favorite Arc with 500 being my all time favorite issue. Dormammu has invaded Earth and instead of Waiting on Doctor Strange to handle it the Heroes of 616 fight the good fight and Reed Comes up with some science mumbo jumbo that actually destroys everything LOL. But Strange was able to reach to Spidey, and fling him into the past or something like that. And so he has to fight every single villain, relive every single moment of heroism and tragedy in his life in order to 'catch' back up to the moment Reed destroyed everything.

It's an awesome story plus this story is where the Spider-Man the last stand suit originated.
    I think it's because it was after that issue that the JMS run kinda went to @$*(. Like I don't mind Molten Man 2 but lots of people hate that and it's basically the best thing JMS wrote after 500.

All-New Member

Hard to answer question, but here are my favorites:

Best story - Nothing can stop the juggernaut. I must have read the mexican translation hundreds of times when I was a kid and really cemented my idea of a hero. Impossible odds and a foe that can''t be beaten by brute force and Spidey finds a way.

Close to the top - Kraven Last Hunt

Best issue - Maybe next year ... Peter Parker Spiderman #33. Love that single issue of Uncle Ben and Peter going every year to the baseball (my dad used to take me since I was a kid to the stadium to watch the soccer team of my city. Good memories) and love the sequence of Aunt May going to visit his husband's grave. Touching stuff.

for the Stan Lee era, maybe the anti-drugs story from the early 1970s
    Last edited by Hypestyle; 01-18-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Astonishing Member

Favorite - Spider-Man: Blue. I know it's his whole schtick when writing a mini for a single character, but Jeph Loeb literally put nearly everything I ever loved about Spider-Man into one story. The only thing left out was Venom and that's just because he wouldn't be introduced into continuity for another 24 years or so.

Definitive? I've always liked the origin episodes of the original Spider-Man cartoon and Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Hard question, but the first one that came to mind was Beetle and the Badge, an obscure issue of PPTSSM (#16) that was wedged between a series of rather unfortunate issues of same. But it was written by Elliot S. Maggin, of Superman fame and for writing a particularly famous story in Green Lantern #87 - "What Can One Man Do".

Here is a summary of PPTSSM #16:

"When police officer Joey Macone is hailed as a hero for busting some counterfeiters (with some last minute help from Spider-Man), J. Jonah Jameson sends Peter Parker to take some pictures. In seeing Macone's home life, he learns that his excellent police work comes at a cost: it's affecting his marriage.

Meanwhile, the Beetle seeks to get a hold of a confiscated briefcase full of Heroin, he sends his thugs to commit enough crimes that the precinct house is mostly deserted. This precinct turns out to be the same one which Macone works from, and he has been ordered to stay there because the chief of police has learned of how his career is affecting his married life.

When the Beetle arrives to take the Heroin, Spider-Man (who happens to be in the area) arrives to fight the villain. With Macone's help, the Beetle is defeated and taken into police custody. Later during a press conference, Macon reveals that the briefcase also contained a hidden compartment full of money. Covering the conference for the Bugle, Peter sees that Macone is once more being hailed as a hero, but also sees that Macone's marriage troubles are still as present as ever."

Its not a spectacular story, and nothing noteworthy happens as far as Spidey lore. But its a wonderful statement of the price of being a hero, contrasting Spider-Man and a typical policeman, who does it every day without the benefit of special powers.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-04-2021 at 11:29 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Favorite - Spider-Man: Blue. I know it's his whole schtick when writing a mini for a single character, but Jeph Loeb literally put nearly everything I ever loved about Spider-Man into one story. The only thing left out was Venom and that's just because he wouldn't be introduced into continuity for another 24 years or so.

Definitive? I've always liked the origin episodes of the original Spider-Man cartoon and Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends.
    Me too. "Along Came Spidey" is one of my favorites and a definite classic...

Last edited by K7P5V; 12-21-2021 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Me too. "Along Came Spidey" is one of my favorites and a definite classic...

I'm not sure if this is just nostalgia talking, but despite the hokiness of the plots, the voice acting of the primary three was really top notch. I really felt for the characters during this episode, the one where Sandman discovered his secret id, Firestar's origin episode, and the episode where Spidey fell in love with that one girl from another dimension or whatever but realized he could never be with her because someone from his world could never survive in hers.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I'm not sure if this is just nostalgia talking, but despite the hokiness of the plots, the voice acting of the primary three was really top notch. I really felt for the characters during this episode, the one where Sandman discovered his secret id, Firestar's origin episode, and the episode where Spidey fell in love with that one girl from another dimension or whatever but realized he could never be with her because someone from his world could never survive in hers.
    OMG! In agreement with everything you've mentioned. "A Firestar is Born" will always be my favorite episode EVER

Last edited by K7P5V; 02-04-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

I was raised in the 90's but I must say, what I have gleaned of Amazing Friends... it's a great show! I may only be 35 but I skew much older... I like older comics (70's, 80's and early 90's best), older TV and movies and arcade and early console games impress me much more than modern fare!

Astonishing Member

This one:

A Reckoning is Nigh

Personally I've been the most invested in the story during this Sins Rising-Last Remains arc.

Two favorites:

ASM 39-40- The big Green Goblin showdown.

Spider-Man: Life Story
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Incredible Member

My Personal Favorite is Marvel Knights: Spider-Man #1-12.