Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Personal favorite Spidey story is Cosmic Spider-Man from the early 90’s. Loved how he just kept getting new powers, how he could turn his webbing into a super solid material that absorbed a bomb, how he could fly about of nowhere and at some point punched the Hulk into outer space, and eventually just became this cosmic entity Captain Universe.

And then it was all gone. It only lasted the few issues and he was back to just sticking on walls and using regular webbing. I was also just a kid when I read it the first time and it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me. I bought those issues back when we used to have comic book stores in Miami close to where I live. But not long after everything closed down.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparko View Post
    Personal favorite Spidey story is Cosmic Spider-Man from the early 90’s. Loved how he just kept getting new powers, how he could turn his webbing into a super solid material that absorbed a bomb, how he could fly about of nowhere and at some point punched the Hulk into outer space, and eventually just became this cosmic entity Captain Universe.

And then it was all gone. It only lasted the few issues and he was back to just sticking on walls and using regular webbing. I was also just a kid when I read it the first time and it holds a lot of nostalgic value to me. I bought those issues back when we used to have comic book stores in Miami close to where I live. But not long after everything closed down.
    Agreed. Becoming cosmic was great, but battling unconventional villains during Acts of Vengeance made it extra special...
    Last edited by K7P5V; 02-16-2021 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Added Clarification.

Coming Home might be my favorite. I think that whole approach of stripping things down to the bare essentials and slightly moving certain pieces around really benefits it. It feels pretty evergreen if you just wanna read it with little prior context, and I know Marvel often advertised that as like the jumping on point for Amazing Spider-Man throughout most of the 2000s.

I like how it takes certain things Marvel always wants to revisit like taking Peter back to high school but this does it in a more introspective way where he becomes a teacher, and reexamining the origin from a different point of view, and not only that but the whole heroes vs. villains dichotomy in superhero comics, the looks at Peter's relationships with his loved ones when he feels he's at the end of his rope, and a different kind of threat for Spider-Man to face all add together to make something that still feels fresh.

To me it's my favorite Spidey against unstoppable forces kind of story because his heroism inspires another and he uses his smarts to win in the end, it's got all the right beats and it's one of the most well-written. Plus JRJR's art is one of the quintessential looks for Spidey's world to me, he has the Spidey DNA in him literally and here it is with decades of refinement and confidence at his peak (really like the bold inks and glossy colors).
    Last edited by Spidey_62; 02-16-2021 at 03:09 PM.