Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All-New Member

Finder by Carla Speed McNeil will always be one of my favorites. It’s a beautiful work.

Usagi Yojimbo might be the one that has brought me the most joy over the years.

Bone, Elfquest, Strangers in Paradise, Concrete, A Distant Soil, Wandering Star, Xanadu (by Vicky Wyman), Hepcats, Mouse Guard, Akiko, Groo the Wanderer, Thieves & Kings, and countless others are all in the mix. I tend to like the more light hearted fantasy stories. The 90’s and the early 00’s were a great time for those kind of Indy comics.

Runners by Sean Wang was a great comic that unfortunately didn’t get the attention it deserved. Well worth tracking down if you can find it.

The book that had a huge impact on me and made me cry in a room full of friends was ‘Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth’ by Chris Ware. Beautiful story, really impactful. But the artwork is impeccable and it speaks loudly as an indie with its landscape format and colour palette.
    AA8B186D-7193-42E4-AEDE-A6036389ADCC.jpg

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Madman by Mike and Laura Allred, I have been watching Pee Wee Herman movies and they share an aesthetic!

Some of my favorites:

Strangers in Paradise
    Goon
    Tom Strong
    Top 10
    4 Kids Walk Into a Bank
    Irredeemable
    Nocturnals
    Halcyon
    Elementals
    Grendel
    Mage
    Fear Agent
    Hellboy
    Paybacks
    Sin City
    Umbrella Academy
    Miracleman
    Stray Bullets
    Atomic Robo
    The Cape
    Locke & Key
    Bunker
    Damned
    Night's Dominion
    Queen & Country
    Sixth Gun
    Stuff of Legend
    Wanted
    These Savage Shores
    Authority
    Planetary
    Pull List: Barbaric,DC Black Label,Dept. of Truth,Fire Power,Hellboy,Saga,Something is Killing the Children,Terryverse,Usagi Yojimbo.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Savage Dragon
    TMNT
    Bone
    Cerebus
    The Walking Dead

Maybe Spawn
    I don't think "Image" is really an "indy" but I realize others may disagree.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

What is the current accepted American Comic Book term for: Indie

Since I began reading i the mid 80s I came to understand Indie as anything non-Marvel/DC
    That held true enough through the 90s I felt.

Then post-2000s there was on occasion a division in what indie meant. Dark Horse and Image had been around so long folks didn't consider them Indie.

I'd now add in Publishers like Dynamite, IDW, Boom, Valiant and Zennescope. All are known names with recognizable brands. Their market share is smaller but I don't think of them as Indie. Take IDW for example, they have Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that no argument began as Indie but has grown from it's roots at Mirage-->Image-->Mirage 2.0--->IDW and its a billion dollar empire owned by Nickelodeon. Hardly Indie anymore.

Walking Dead at Image, that isn't Indie, its an empire.

There are still super small publishers like Scout, Titan, Bad Idea(closing I hear) now those I'd call Indie but none have titles I'm overly familiar with.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Anybody want to add in Tales of the Beanworld?

Dark Horse is collecting them these days, but it started out as an independent that then hooked up with Eclipse Comics back in the day.

Astonishing Member

The first 10 issues of Solar, Man of the Atom are some of the best indie books I've read.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    The first 10 issues of Solar, Man of the Atom are some of the best indie books I've read.
    Which run?

There was a 1991 run from Valiant (Acclaim) and a Dynamite series more recently.

(Looks like the 1960s Gold Key series was "Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom".)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Which run?

There was a 1991 run from Valiant (Acclaim) and a Dynamite series more recently.

From Valiant. The Dynamite was just Ok.

Really enjoyed a lot of the stuff where Bryan Talbot wrote script as well as did artwork. Especially “Adventures of Luther Arkwright”, “Heart of Empire”, and “The Tale of One Bad Rat”.

Another one where a guy who’s normally thought of primarily as an artist did both script and art to wonderful effect is Al Davison’s “The Spiral Cage”. (Suppose script might be a misnomer here…the book tells Al’s own life story up to age of about 30.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Which run?

You forgot about the 8-issue run by Jim Shooter via Dark Horse, which came out in 2010. Issues 5-8 of that particular series were pretty good.

Astonishing Member

For me Indy means creator owned, and not owned to a company. Therefore Image is indy

Bone only holds up if you read it when it was coming out. Cerebus is dated, just a typical parody comic of its time.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sForever View Post
    Bone only holds up if you read it when it was coming out. Cerebus is dated, just a typical parody comic of its time.
    I'll strongly disagree with you on Bone. It is a timeless adventure that sells as well to the young readers of today through Scholastic and others and resonates still with those audiences, as it did when it was coming out in singles and reaching only direct market comic customers. It reaches and resonates with a wider audience now, than it did when it was coming out.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato