View Poll Results: What is your favorite Crisis?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Crisis on Infinite Earths

34 64.15%
  • Zero Hour

10 18.87%
  • Infinite Crisis

13 24.53%
  • Final Crisis

13 24.53%
  • Flashpoint

0 0%
  • Convergence

3 5.66%
  • DC Metal

2 3.77%
  • DC Death Metal

4 7.55%
  • Identity Crisis

2 3.77%
  • Heroes in Crisis

2 3.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
    I hate Multiverse so a crisis that unify everything to one Universe and one Earth is my story. And it was a great one, epic too.

2. Zero Hour
    The story itself is mediocre but his epilogue started the period of DC I loved the most.
    I loved some Zero Hour issues like Robin#0, Tim Drake teaming-up with a young Dick Grayson Robin it's one of my favorite comic af all time.

3. Infinite Crisis
    The story is fine altough I'll never forgive Johns for using some characters as cannon fodder only for the sake of shock value.

Final Crisis, Metal and Death Metal are not my cup of tea. Too much pretentious and complex. I'm not a fan of both Morrison and Snyder.

Identity Crisis and Heores in Crisis are really bad. The only hope is to forget about it.

Convergence is the most useless and disappoitning event I've ever read.

Flashpoint, I can't remember almost anything about it. All I know is that after this event DC continuity stopped making sense forever, and most of the characters I used to love are slaughtered for good.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    COIE was the first time I actually cried reading a comic book - the death of Supergirl and then Flash. It was very well done in both writing and art.
    This beacuse at that time deaths mattered.
    Death characters should stay dead, with some rare exceptions.
    Nowadays a resurrection is not denied to anyone!

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths
    2. Infinite Crisis
    3. Flashpoint
    4. Dark Nights Metal
    5. Dark Nights Death Metal
    6. Zero hour
    7. Final Crisis
    8. Convergence

And don’t even ask me about Identity Crisis and Heroes in Crisis
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Can’t comment on most of these but a friend recommended I read COIE. I borrowed his collected edition and couldn’t finish an issue. The writing was so bad. I get it’s significance but storytelling was dramatically different. Plus, it seemed like every other page was a new character. I thumbed through it and the art was pretty good. Way too hard to read coming at it years later.
    Crisis on Infinite Earths was fantastic read when it originally was published, and unlike Infinite Crisis, the deaths of characters in general was more dignified.

But, yeah, I can see how people who first came to it many years later aren't as impressed. Comics changed by then. The style comic books are written in has changed (back then, writers weren't writing for eventual tpb collections), and many of the older characters involved in the story probably have less meaning to 21st Century readers.

But, damn! was it a game-changer back then!
    Agreed. I can see how somebody who didn't read it at the time might have trouble investing in it. Readers of the time had probably grown up reading reprints of some of the obscure characters in the 80- and 100-pave giants DC did for a while, and DC was also publishing Who's Who at the time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    This beacuse at that time deaths mattered.
    Death characters should stay dead, with some rare exceptions.
    Nowadays a resurrection is not denied to anyone!
    Agree completely.

In my mind at the time, we were never going to see Kara Zor-El or Barry Allen again.

Exclamation

Identity crisis was bad but it was made worse by Will Pfeifer who wrote his catwoman story based on Geoff john's ideas.

In IC #3, Wally asks GA - How many people did they do "IT" to? "IT" here refers to what they did with Dr. Light. We don't get an answer but we get flashbacks of the times the heroes wiped the memories of villains to protect their identity.

Next month Geoff John's Flash (Vol2) # 214 came out. He based this story on the above question. "How many people did they do it to?" Wally finds Barry's letter where he admits doing "IT" to a villain named Top but differently. This time Zatanna had changed Top into an ally but kept his memory intact. GJ made it clear that Barry had no other choice.
    The main point from this story-
    Barry says that what happened to Dr. Light probably happened to the others as well. He called it a side effect.
    This is important because -
    We didn't have an answer to "What the original intent of the League was when they performed the thing on Dr. Light"
    Even now we have vague statements like "To clean him up a bit" and "To shift his personality" but I think what the story tried to imply was "to make him not inclined towards committing violent crimes"

More over Zatanna said Dr Light becoming a moron was never their goal in IC#2. So by calling it a side effect Johns tried to imply that Dr. Light became a moron at some point and then the league found out that their experiment had gone wrong.

In Jla #115-119 Crisis of Conscience, Geoff johns showed a villain named Star Sapphire (Deborah Camille) who had been in a coma for 5 years. This raised the question- whether the league voted to put her in a coma or was it a side effect of Zee taking away memories of the heroes' identities. It has to be the latter imo but idk why Wiki says Hal asked Zee to put her in a coma.

Also in this story GJ heavily implied that Catwoman must have been turned into a hero but GJ never said it out right. IMO he never wanted that. He most probably wanted Batman to become paranoid by wrongly assuming that CW had been tuned. Thereby keeping the balance between Batman and JL on who was the bigger jerk.

Will Pfeifer, Catwoman writer, wrote Cw #50 where he showed the league change CW into a hero. Even though till then the league only did 'IT' to 2 villains - Light and Top - with somewhat reasonable excuses. Infact none of the villains whose minds were tampered became hero. Also Barry would have mentioned Cw's name in his letter to Wally if they did change her.

The point I'm trying to convey through all this is that Geoff John tried to write a story where the league seemed a little less evil because uptill Catwoman every bad thing that occurred with the villains could be chalked up to happening unintentionally as a side effect but Will Pfeifer changed it all the moment he decided to write that CW issue.
    Infact Will Pfeifer himself didn't like what he had done so some issues later he made Zee say that CW was already on her way to become a hero and all she did was give a little nudge. IMO this make it clear that WP didn't think his plan through when he decided to mindwipe CW because Why would he make Zee not tell Cw the whole truth the first time she met her.

To be honest the word "Mindwipe" just isn't right to convey what actually went down. It just puts act like wiping memories to protect identity on the same pedestal as lobotomizing villains.
    Last edited by Edwin30; 01-07-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Out of 42 voters so far,
    * Crisis on Infinite Earths has 25 votes
    * Infinite Crisis has 10 votes
    * Final Crisis has 9 votes
    * Zero Hour has 7 votes

and at the other end of the spectrum,
    * nobody has voted for Flashpoint

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Out of 42 voters so far,
    * Crisis on Infinite Earths has 25 votes
    * Infinite Crisis has 10 votes
    * Final Crisis has 9 votes
    * Zero Hour has 7 votes

and at the other end of the spectrum,
    * nobody has voted for Flashpoint
    Most (and especially the COIE) are bombast epic semi farewells where the heroes shine brightest. I like Flashpoint as a story and would not mind it if it was somewhere in between with business as usual concluded afterwards. But as a Crisis it was a FU & don't let the door hit you on the way out to the other characters.

Of the ones I have read:
    Crisis On Infinite Earths
    Zero Hour
    Infinite Crisis
    Flashpoint

Final Crisis

Identity Crisis

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Zero Hour has some of the best coloring in a big two comic book.

CoIE for me as well.

I'm surprised Convergence has 3 votes. It is the only event in which I bought comics in the $1 bin and still felt like I spent way too much. So many neat characters and ideas, so little pay-off and no story.

Crisis on Infinite Earths gets my vote.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by etrumble View Post
    CoIE for me as well.

I'm surprised Convergence has 3 votes. It is the only event in which I bought comics in the $1 bin and still felt like I spent way too much. So many neat characters and ideas, so little pay-off and no story.
    I never read the weekly Covergence series.
    But I did buy several of the two-issue Convergence tie-in books, and there were a few of those that I really enjoyed.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

I submit for your consideration: Crisis Times Five: JLA & JSA
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 01-11-2021 at 07:20 PM.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

The vast majority suck, though most have good to great art. Final Crisis wins for being the most creative and interesting, followed by COIE because even if it's not actually great by any stretch of the imagination, the deaths of Supergirl and Barry Allen actually carried some weight and, hey, it was first. Zero Hour is probably next. It was COIE in miniature but that also meant it was a whole lot shorter and it had a much better villain in the form of Hal Jordan. Also, the tie-ins around it were often fantastic. I mean, I'm tempted to put in at number 1 just for Flash #0 and for launching Starman.

I haven't read the Metal series because, ugh, and I only read a few of the tie-ins to Convergence. Flashpoint could have been a fun elseworlds story but everything Flash-related to it sucked, it was a horrible way to restart the universe and the New 52, despite some good ancillary books, was largely a disaster. Infinite Crisis was incredibly bland and weirdly feels almost as dated as COIE. Great lead-ins and lead-outs, though. Heroes in Crisis and Identity Crisis are both beautifully drawn abominations with decent moments that could never hope to make up for the damage they did to parts of the DCU, how wrongheaded they were and how ugly. Also Identity Crisis was the true beginning of the end for DC's true golden age that began in the mid-'80s.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.