View Poll Results: Which Poison Ivy appearance(s) in 2021 are you excited for?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Queen Ivy storyline (and possible spin-off book)

27 54.00%
  • Poison Ivy: Thorns YA graphic novel

8 16.00%
  • Harley Quinn Season 3 focused on Ivy

26 52.00%
  • Future State Poison Ivy in Gotham City Sirens

9 18.00%
  • Still holding out for DCEU confirmation/casting for Ivy

6 12.00%
  • One of the other appearances or hoping for something unannounced

8 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    BTAS Ivy is good but can i ask what you think is really special about her? She is fun and does things in twisted ways but not like the most fun & sadistic Ivy could possibly be. BTAS is a slow paced show for kids to be able to watch (meaning not much sexual tension, no gory death) not to mention being filled with unnecessary dialogues to make the episodes longer than it should be.
    IIRC, Batman: The Animated Series can be enjoyed by both children & adults. I understand restrictions were placed on the creative team, but I thought they performed admirably. The animation quality was evident since the beginning, and any episode featuring Poison Ivy is exceptionally animated. And the writing may not have been able to allow the character to do "everything" imaginable, but what it did accomplish was quite commendable. Maybe I'm being a bit too old-fashioned, but I kinda liked that BTAS wasn't gratuitous or gory when it came to sex/violence/death.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    IIRC, Batman: The Animated Series can be enjoyed by both children & adults. I understand restrictions were placed on the creative team, but I thought they performed admirably. The animation quality was evident since the beginning, and any episode featuring Poison Ivy is exceptionally animated. And the writing may not have been able to allow the character to do "everything" imaginable, but what it did accomplish was quite commendable. Maybe I'm being a bit too old-fashioned, but I kinda liked that BTAS wasn't gratuitous or gory when it came to sex/violence/death.
    What draws me into Batman is how much criminology is relevent in the storytelling. Batman doesnt just simply go around beating up common crooks, he investigates crime scenes and how such crime was conducted. Ivy first appearance in comics is that she poisons a man and observes his demise from far away while in BTAS, she just poisons Harvey through her kiss at the same time Bruce shows up. Why would an intelligent killer make themself to be an obvious target for investigation - being the last person to be in contact with their victim? BTAS is fun but not top notch writing for me.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 01-08-2021 at 04:27 AM.

BANNED

Cover artist: Mark Sparacio

Last edited by prepmaster; 01-08-2021 at 08:26 PM.

BTAS Ivy is good but can i ask what you think is really special about her? She is fun and does things in twisted ways but not like the most fun & sadistic Ivy could possibly be. BTAS is a slow paced show for kids to be able to watch (meaning not much sexual tension, no gory death) not to mention being filled with unnecessary dialogues to make the episodes longer than it should be.
    I'd say for a kids cartoon there was a surprising amount of sexual tension among the characters .
    What draws me into Batman is how much criminology is relevent in the storytelling. Batman doesnt just simply go around beating up common crooks, he investigates crime scenes and how such crime was conducted. Ivy first appearance in comics is that she poisons a man and observes his demise from far away while in BTAS, she just poisons Harvey through her kiss at the same time Bruce shows up. Why would an intelligent killer make themself to be an obvious target for investigation - being the last person to be in contact with their victim? BTAS is fun but not top notch writing for me.
    I don't think she was too worried about the police by that point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think she was too worried about the police by that point.
    Or the writer just doesnt know criminology enough to write smart criminals. Like if your relatives get invited to a house and then they never come back, would you be suspicious of the houseowners that invited them over? You dont have any definite proof of the houseowners doing anything to your relatives but still the houseowners were the last people to come in contact with your relatives.

You cant simply write the police suspecting the poisoning was conducted by the chefs/waiters due to testimony from many other witnesses (like a restaurant manager who is in charge of overseeing what the staffs are doing). Not to mention high-end restaurants would have cameras. Discreetly poisoning a guy in a public place like a restaurant is not a good plan since there are still way too many witnessses.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 01-08-2021 at 12:17 PM.

Or the writer just doesnt know criminology enough to write smart criminals. Like if your relatives get invited to a house and then they never come back, would you be suspicious of the houseowners that invited them over? You dont have any definite proof of the houseowners doing anything to your relatives but still the houseowners were the last people to come in contact with your relatives.

You cant simply write the police suspecting the poisoning was conducted by the chefs/waiters due to testimony from many other witnesses (like a restaurant manager who is in charge of overseeing what the staffs are doing). Not to mention high-end restaurants would have cameras. Discreetly poisoning a guy in a public place like a restaurant is not a good plan since there are still way too many witnessses.
    Well, as intelligent as Batman villains are, they're often not playing with a full deck...

BANNED

Artist: Guillem March

March draws a gorgeous Ivy .

BANNED

Bombshells Ivy

Last edited by prepmaster; 01-10-2021 at 11:30 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    With Ivy or any character in that vein, you really have to be careful not to cross the line into outright smut, because once you're in that territory it becomes nearly impossible to appreciate any artistic merit the story might have. These days standards are much looser and there are a ton of sexy seductress type characters across every form of media imaginable, but most of them fail to make any kind of lasting impression because once you realize that they're there just to make the audience horny it becomes difficult to engage with them on any other level. I'm not sure whether this is a universal phenomenon, or just a product of our culture and its problematic history of depicting sexuality in media, but the implications are similar either way.

by Marcio Takara

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOn View Post
    With Ivy or any character in that vein, you really have to be careful not to cross the line into outright smut, because once you're in that territory it becomes nearly impossible to appreciate any artistic merit the story might have. These days standards are much looser and there are a ton of sexy seductress type characters across every form of media imaginable, but most of them fail to make any kind of lasting impression because once you realize that they're there just to make the audience horny it becomes difficult to engage with them on any other level. I'm not sure whether this is a universal phenomenon, or just a product of our culture and its problematic history of depicting sexuality in media, but the implications are similar either way.
    Female villains in superhero media fall under four categories:

The seductress

The woman scorned

The misandrist

The female lackey

Ivy has served as the former three. For whatever issues we have with heroic female characters, there is a lot more variety among them.

Hopefully, we have better depictions of Ivy in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Female villains in superhero media fall under four categories:

The seductress

The woman scorned

The misandrist

The female lackey

Ivy has served as the former three. For whatever issues we have with heroic female characters, there is a lot more variety among them.

Hopefully, we have better depictions of Ivy in the future.
    I think there's a few more than that, like the evil Goddess, the tough girl, the intellectual, the cold weapon, etc.

I think just like with heroic female characters it's all in the individual personalities and depictions.

by Marcio Takara
    I adore this art...reminds me of Gustave Klimt's art, which is very suitable for Ivy. She's fits well with art nouveau
    A picture would last longer darling...

by Marcio Takara
    Glamorous and powerful looking Ivy .