View Poll Results: Which Poison Ivy appearance(s) in 2021 are you excited for?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Queen Ivy storyline (and possible spin-off book)

27 54.00%
  • Poison Ivy: Thorns YA graphic novel

8 16.00%
  • Harley Quinn Season 3 focused on Ivy

26 52.00%
  • Future State Poison Ivy in Gotham City Sirens

9 18.00%
  • Still holding out for DCEU confirmation/casting for Ivy

6 12.00%
  • One of the other appearances or hoping for something unannounced

8 16.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Vector art depicting the various iconic versions of Poison Ivy by Twitter's @MilitechMatty

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Vector art depicting the various iconic versions of Poison Ivy by Twitter's @MilitechMatty

Classic -> B:TAS -> B&R -> New 52 -> TNBA -> Hush -> HQ

1st page of an 8-page story with Poison Ivy in Batman Black & White #4 (May 2021):

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    1st page of an 8-page story with Poison Ivy in Batman Black & White #4 (May 2021):
    So, the writer literally thought what's plant/earth related to Batman and came up with Ivy digging up Thomas and Martha's corpses...

Yeah, that, uh...that's kind of a lot, Ivy.

If I remember the episode correctly, Ivy had to hastily revise her original plan of the spouses simply controlling their respective billionaires and CEOs as the plant spouses started having trouble maintaining their human guises and started to deteriorate (Veronica Vreeland's husband being the first).
    Oh yeah, there's the idea that the plant people have weaknesses Humans don't. Robin and Batgirl kill a bunch of them by spraying them with some sort of herbicide. IIRC sometimes it was things that are harmless to Humans.

So, the writer literally thought what's plant/earth related to Batman and came up with Ivy digging up Thomas and Martha's corpses...

Actually, in the story, she's trying to get Bruce Wayne's attention, not Batman's.
    (She doesn't know they're the same person.)

No one:
    Gail Simone at the end of the weekend:

No one:
    Gail Simone at the end of the weekend:

Gail Simone seems to have a lot of stories she wishes she could tell...I wish she had those opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gail Simone seems to have a lot of stories she wishes she could tell...I wish she had those opportunities.
    It's shocking that the Big Two don't give her whatever she wants at this point.

BANNED

Ivy's twitter fans should listen to this

It's shocking that the Big Two don't give her whatever she wants at this point.
    Why?

Personally, I'm luke-warm on her as writer. And how many additional buyers would she be able to pull in just because her name is on a product?

Why?

Personally, I'm luke-warm on her as writer. And how many additional buyers would she be able to pull in just because her name is on a product?
    DC shamelessly keeps mining her years long work in Birds of Prey and even original creations like Scandal Savage, the 'Get out of Hell free card' and Savant in movies and cartoons, so they can't let even her write a story if she wants one?

Quote Originally Posted by prepmaster View Post
    Ivy's twitter fans should listen to this
    So why post it here?

I checked the transcript, and I think the analysis in the video misses the mark pretty thoroughly why a lot of people like Poison Ivy as a character. Many of those fans are highly critical not only of DC for not using Poison Ivy enough, but also of how DC uses Poison Ivy. It also accepts all the poor takes on Poison Ivy, takes them as given, and uses those to attack the character.

The video also misses another important factor, and that is for people who are exploited or suppressed, the person striking back is often viewed as a hero, even if that person is not nice or good. One can call this the Thelma & Louise dynamic, though it is far older than that—John Brown is a famous real-world example; Spartacus another. Both Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy fit that pattern very well—they are free from the shackles that society placed on them, and liberated themselves from abusive relationships of their own power.

Why?

I am myself one of those who think Gail Simone is a good but not great writer. But she does have some real strengths, and I'd argue that DC is severely lacking in two things that Simone is really good at. The first is understanding characters, especially female ones. The second is a real knack for getting representation, and a desire to get it right.

Both are sorely needed for DC to reach new readers. If I were running DC, I'd recruit Simone not as a writer but as a high-level editor.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I'd argue that DC is severely lacking in two things that Simone is really good at. The first is understanding characters, especially female ones. The second is a real knack for getting representation, and a desire to get it right.
    DC has writers that dont get Batman right. I dont know whether they can get other characters right.
    Last edited by prepmaster; 04-21-2021 at 12:19 AM.