Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Amazing Spider-Man #56 (Spoilers)

ASM #56 is... well, bad. When 3 pages are spent on Overdrive asking Carlie Cooper out for coffee (two characters no one cares about), you know Spencer is just turning his wheels. No OMD references. Norman was faking being bad and the “grenade” he threw at MJ was a flash grenade... so she was never wounded, but just played along with the evil mastermind (who killed her college friend, unborn baby, and generally tormented her over the years, lest we forget). GOOD Norman acts really, really lame. And Harry is encased in some of Spot’s dark energy... I dunno. It’s not a good issue. It’s an extreme letdown is all I can say. Not even a spot (no pun intended) of OMD resolution or even resolution on WHAT this “Harry” is after all that build up. I haven’t felt this disappointed in a book since Slott made Ben Reilly turn evil during ‘Clone Conspiracy.’ Bagley’s art is actually improved over past issues though, so that’s good I guess.

Grade: D-

What do others think?
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 01-06-2021 at 01:32 AM.

Incredible Member

Not to worry - answers are coming. And soon. Keep reading!

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

The issue confirmed what many were suspecting that Norman's deal with Fisk was just an act (at least to some degree). Norman plays the Goblin a little to well for me to believe he's completely gone. Anyway, I was surprised to see that the issue primarily focused on Norman nor was I expecting Kindred to be taken off the board through self-imposed isolation.

If it wasn't obvious before, the whole "remember" bit of Kindred's shtick is a pretty important aspect of Harry's endgame.

Overall I did enjoy the issue. It's clear that Peter and Norman uncovering (and undoing?) what it was that created Kindred in the first place will be the next big overarching story. Last Remains still needs proper closure and while I don't mind all the set-up, I hope Spencer didn't lose focus on that once focus shifts back to Peter next issue.

Both the Overdrive/Cooper thing and the Sins freed/returned things seems like set up for stuff later down the line. Same with Martin Li but we already know when that's getting addressed.

Well, we can finally say that Mary Jane has met all of the Spider-People of Earth-616. By memory I know she was seen with Jessica in two panels during Spider-Island, with The Thing making a Spider-Woman joke about MJ in front of Jess. MJ met Miles during the mess with Regent. This is the first MJ has met Cindy, Anya, Julia, and Spider-Gwen.

I liked how Mary Jane knew she couldn't talk Peter out staying behind with Norman and Harry and that kiss was sweet. There was also the scene with Norman as the Green Goblin told Peter to put his mask on and hide. That was...interesting, especially with Gobby's expression.

Well, I was right about Harry wanting to torment Peter differently this time by going after The order of the Web. He officially says it in this issue that if he would have gone after MJ, Aunt May, etc... Peter would have turned it into another heroic moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Pattern_Maker View Post
    Well, we can finally say that Mary Jane has met all of the Spider-People of Earth-616. By memory I know she was seen with Jessica in two panels during Spider-Island, with The Thing making a Spider-Woman joke about MJ in front of Jess. MJ met Miles during the mess with Regent. This is the first MJ has met Cindy, Anya, Julia, and Spider-Gwen.
    I was looking at that panel where Ghost Spider is staring at MJ and thinking this is probably the first time she's really seen 616 Mary Jane. I'm not sure if Mary Jane knows the girl under that mask is (technically) Gwen.

Spectacular Member

This is absolutely not "bad", but I think the hype killed most of us. This story has various solid points (Norman's turn, Peter's mistakes, Kindred as a character...) but it just looks different from what we thought, I suppose. If you read this thinking "This will erase OMD" you will be disappointed, but you're missing other details meanwhile. It still could be better tho.

Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar

Now that the arc is over I will say....The Order of the Webs' inclusion would've made sense if Spencer had actually done any leg work in building Peter's relationship with them at all throughout his run. Like the character Pete has been spending the most time around in Spencer's run has been freakin Boomerang, and he wasn't even in this arc. lol

At best, all their role amounted to was Harry projecting his "Good Ole Days" rant onto Spider-Gwen.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    The issue confirmed what many were suspecting that Norman's deal with Fisk was just an act (at least to some degree). Norman plays the Goblin a little to well for me to believe he's completely gone. Anyway, I was surprised to see that the issue primarily focused on Norman nor was I expecting Kindred to be taken off the board through self-imposed isolation.

If it wasn't obvious before, the whole "remember" bit of Kindred's shtick is a pretty important aspect of Harry's endgame.

Overall I did enjoy the issue. It's clear that Peter and Norman uncovering (and undoing?) what it was that created Kindred in the first place will be the next big overarching story. Last Remains still needs proper closure and while I don't mind all the set-up, I hope Spencer didn't lose focus on that once focus shifts back to Peter next issue.

Both the Overdrive/Cooper thing and the Sins freed/returned things seems like set up for stuff later down the line. Same with Martin Li but we already know when that's getting addressed.
    I agree, the question is what is he going to do that requires this much set up? Does Harry still a role to play in all this given that he gave himself up? And what is the "Truth" he alludes to that both Norman and Peter have to find?

Maybe Norman had something to do with Mephisto lol. He remembered before and didn't care cause he was pure evil (you know, Harry said he had to get rid of the Goblin to make him feel remorse) and just didn't care.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    I agree, the question is what is he going to do that requires this much set up? Does Harry still a role to play in all this given that he gave himself up? And what is the "Truth" he alludes to that both Norman and Peter have to find?
    Maybe them discovering/remembering it is a crucial part in undoing what was done to Harry? Or maybe they simply wouldn’t believe it if they were outright told about it (at least by him)?

Harry won’t be the monster in the dark hunting Peter every few issues or so like he was before but he still has a part to play here. Most seem to believe Peter’s truth is his deal with Mephisto in OMD. It’s harder to say what Norman’s might be though.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal View Post
    Maybe them discovering/remembering it is a crucial part in undoing what was done to Harry? Or maybe they simply wouldn’t believe it if they were outright told about it (at least by him)?

Harry won’t be the monster in the dark hunting Peter every few issues or so like he was before but he still has a part to play here. Most seem to believe Peter’s truth is his deal with Mephisto in OMD. It’s harder to say what Norman’s might be though.
    With Norman, it seems like it might do with whatever he did to bring Harry back to life? Maybe he made his own deal to get his son back?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    ASM #56 is... well, bad. When 3 pages are spent on Overdrive asking Carlie Cooper out for coffee (two characters no one cares about), you know Spencer is just turning his wheels. No OMD references. Norman was faking being bad and the “grenade” he threw at MJ was a flash grenade... so she was never wounded, but just played along with the evil mastermind (who killed her college friend, unborn baby, and generally tormented her over the years, lest we forget). GOOD Norman acts really, really lame. And Harry is encased in some of Spot’s dark energy... I dunno. It’s not a good issue. It’s an extreme letdown is all I can say. Not even a spot (no pun intended) of OMD resolution or even resolution on WHAT this “Harry” is after all that build up. I haven’t felt this disappointed in a book since Slott made Ben Reilly turn evil during ‘Clone Conspiracy.’ Bagley’s art is actually improved over past issues though, so that’s good I guess.

What do others think?
    Hey now, I like Overdrive and Carlie (Especially Overdrive, the loveable goof)

Astonishing Member

What do others think?
    Oh, man. That bad? Damn.

All-New Member

What do others think?
    MJ siding with Norman makes sense, since they both went to that therapist in a previous issue and it was said that Norman has really changed. So if he’s going to help out on saving Peter and the order of the web from an actual demon, I don’t see why she should decline the help and allow them all to get killed over grudge against Norman.

We’ll likely get that resolution on a future arc, since Last Remains is supposed to be the start of this OMD ribbon unwinding.

Fantastic Member

Norman was faking being bad and the “grenade” he threw at MJ was a flash grenade... so she was never wounded, but just played along with the evil mastermind
    hahaha! Called it! I'm so proud of myself!