Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 109
  1. #91
    Spectacular Member atomicskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I regret not checking out her mini written by Rucka. It wasn't in my radar at all. But when i did finally get around to it I never kicked myself in the arse so hard. When we talk about iconic women in the DCU. Lois is easily behind Diana (or the other way around?) Biggie name-dropped her in a song for godsakes! With that being said, she should always have a book.

    Didn't know she was 83. Wow. She's older than my grandmother.

  2. #92
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I regret not checking out her mini written by Rucka. It wasn't in my radar at all. But when i did finally get around to it I never kicked myself in the arse so hard. When we talk about iconic women in the DCU. Lois is easily behind Diana (or the other way around?) Biggie name-dropped her in a song for godsakes! With that being said, she should always have a book.

    Didn't know she was 83. Wow. She's older than my grandmother.
    Most of us are really mad at Rucka for that series because the backhalf has the Question hijack the book. If you're not familiar with Rucka it may not bother you, but he has said many times he always wants to write Diana, Renee and Kate Kane so it became clear he morphed Lois Lane's book into a Question book because it's what he wanted. Jimmy's book got to be about Jimmy. Lois Lane's book became about The Question. We're still salty.

  3. #93
    Spectacular Member atomicskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Most of us are really mad at Rucka for that series because the backhalf has the Question hijack the book. If you're not familiar with Rucka it may not bother you, but he has said many times he always wants to write Diana, Renee and Kate Kane so it became clear he morphed Lois Lane's book into a Question book because it's what he wanted. Jimmy's book got to be about Jimmy. Lois Lane's book became about The Question. We're still salty.
    I didn't get that far but thank you for the heads up. I hate when writers do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to write Lois to begin with.

  4. #94
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    10,122

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I didn't get that far but thank you for the heads up. I hate when writers do that. I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't want to write Lois to begin with.
    I certainly got that impression from Bendis. He seemed to want Lois out of the way most of the time. I felt she was interfering with the overall story he wanted to tell.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  5. #95
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,053

    Default

    I thought Lois was generally well-served by Bendis, but the plot mechanics behind the whole Jor-El/Jon/Lois trip into space were painfully contrived. Other than that, I thought Lois felt like I wanted her to be written.

  6. #96
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I thought Lois was generally well-served by Bendis, but the plot mechanics behind the whole Jor-El/Jon/Lois trip into space were painfully contrived. Other than that, I thought Lois felt like I wanted her to be written.
    This may be controversial, but I honestly think Bendis gave Lois more time to shine than any writer since pre flashpoint. I feel like we talked about Lois more during his run than anytime previously.

  7. #97
    Astonishing Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    3,325

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I certainly got that impression from Bendis. He seemed to want Lois out of the way most of the time. I felt she was interfering with the overall story he wanted to tell.
    For all his writing/plotting faults (MoS, #1004), I truly believe he used her best.

  8. #98
    Astonishing Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I thought Lois was generally well-served by Bendis, but the plot mechanics behind the whole Jor-El/Jon/Lois trip into space were painfully contrived. Other than that, I thought Lois felt like I wanted her to be written.
    Bendis got off to a very rough start with Lois. I think Action 1004 is pretty bad and does a terrible job of conveying what he wanted there. The amount of people who came away from that with the impression they were splitting seemed to annoy Bendis. And the execution of the space trip and her return were horribly rushed. Beyond that, particularly in the Leviathan Rising and Event Leviathan he hit a voice for her that I thought was fantastic. Reminded me of Erica Durrance’s Lois. And he used her way more than most and is setting her up for a lot more.

    With Rucka, the first six issues are solid. The sixth issue is for me an all timer. I know he can and does like to write Lois. He’s done it before.

    Now I have nothing to substantiate this, but I get the sense that Rucka was not on board with the identity reveal and that it may have torpedoed his plans for the back half of the book. He kinda goes there in a Word Balloon interview at one point and more or less said he was not going to change his book to fit that storyline. Bendis has said he had a different resolution to the photograph plot that started to play out in Lois’s book but got dropped after the sixth issue and actually was contradicted by Bendis in his Superman run. The photo ran and became a plot point in Lois’s book but Bendis made Trish decide not to run it in Superman. Again, no information to substantiate anything but I got the sense that the back half became what it was because whatever plans Rucka had got nerfed by the identity reveal.

    Doesn’t excuse turning it into Renee’s book for those six issues. But it makes more sense to me than him intentionally taking a Lois book to write about Renee from the start.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-26-2021 at 05:26 AM.

  9. #99
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    7,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Bendis got off to a very rough start with Lois. I think Action 1004 is pretty bad and does a terrible job of conveying what he wanted there. The amount of people who came away from that with the impression they were splitting seemed to annoy Bendis. And the execution of the space trip and her return were horribly rushed. Beyond that, particularly in the Leviathan Rising and Event Leviathan he hit a voice for her that I thought was fantastic. Reminded me of Erica Durrance’s Lois. And he used her way more than most and is setting her up for a lot more.

    With Rucka, the first six issues are solid. The sixth issue is for me an all timer. I know he can and does like to write Lois. He’s done it before.

    Now I have nothing to substantiate this, but I get the sense that Rucka was not on board with the identity reveal and that it may have torpedoed his plans for the back half of the book. He kinda goes there in a Word Balloon interview at one point and more or less said he was not going to change his book to fit that storyline. Bendis has said he had a different resolution to the photograph plot that started to play out in Lois’s book but got dropped after the sixth issue and actually was contradicted by Bendis in his Superman run. The photo ran and became a plot point in Lois’s book but Bendis made Trish decide not to run it in Superman. Again, no information to substantiate anything but I got the sense that the back half became what it was because whatever plans Rucka had got nerfed by the identity reveal.

    Doesn’t excuse turning it into Renee’s book for those six issues. But it makes more sense to me than him intentionally taking a Lois book to write about Renee from the start.
    You could be right. Rucka was definitely not on board for the identity reveal, but couldn't he have just set his series prior to the reveal?

  10. #100
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    San Jose, CA
    Posts
    6,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    This may be controversial, but I honestly think Bendis gave Lois more time to shine than any writer since pre flashpoint. I feel like we talked about Lois more during his run than anytime previously.
    No, you're right. Bendis cared more about spotlighting Lois than most writers. We were spoiled and now it's back to business as usual most likely.

  11. #101
    Extraordinary Member Jon11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,035

    Default

    I very much prefer Jurgens' Lois, who spotlights her without taking her away from her supporting cast.
    Last edited by Jon11; 04-27-2021 at 05:24 AM.
    "Keep flying; keep fighting; keep loving; keep smiling. You wonít always be right, but you donít have to be. Be just. Be fair. Be good. Be brave. Be Superman." - Bryan Q. Miller.

    Avatar by Julian Lopez.

  12. #102
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    6,236

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
    I very much prefer Jurgens' Lois, who spotlights her without taking her away from her supporting cast.
    Jurgens Lois wasn't too bad, but is it really such a bad thing she wasn't always with her family in every scene? And opening her up to stories like checkmate is really cool.

  13. #103
    Extraordinary Member Jon11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    5,035

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Jurgens Lois wasn't too bad, but is it really such a bad thing she wasn't always with her family in every scene? And opening her up to stories like checkmate is really cool.
    But it wasn't just her family, was it? She moved to another town, had bare minimum contact with the DP staff, and, yes, had like 3(?) scenes with her son post aged-up. And, I mean, be it in Bendis or Rucka's run, she didn't have any world-building or any remarkable character development in her new setting to justify it. Even her big book - the one that was supposed to show her "independency" - ended up being connected to Superman all the same.

    Not to forget, the amount of time Lois was shown confined to a room, relegated to giving Clark a pep talk or to serve as exposition to the overall plot was truly bothersome. Not a good look at all, IMO.

    I do think Checkmate can be a cool stunt (the Leviathan Rising issues were by miles the best use of her by Bendis). But at the end of the day that's all it's gonna be, a stunt. Just like the "writing a book" plot (that I see it's continuing with PKJ), I wouldn't want it to replace what's her character (being a reporter, chasing stories etc.)
    Last edited by Jon11; 04-27-2021 at 05:07 PM.
    "Keep flying; keep fighting; keep loving; keep smiling. You wonít always be right, but you donít have to be. Be just. Be fair. Be good. Be brave. Be Superman." - Bryan Q. Miller.

    Avatar by Julian Lopez.

  14. #104
    Astonishing Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    2,465

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    You could be right. Rucka was definitely not on board for the identity reveal, but couldn't he have just set his series prior to the reveal?
    I got the sense it was more that his story got derailed midway through after he had started. The Event: Leviathan crossover seemed like doing that annoyed him when he talked about it (ironically I think that’s the highlight of the series). I think the ID reveal killed the Lois centered storyline of her dealing with the kiss so he just kinda leaned into the Renee stuff more.

    Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    No, you're right. Bendis cared more about spotlighting Lois than most writers. We were spoiled and now it's back to business as usual most likely.
    Definitely. He didn’t use her the best all the time but she got several storylines where she was active and had her own stuff going on. She did spend too much time in that stupid hotel, but there was never a question that she was involved and participating. I wonder if his run had continued if we would have gotten more of the Leone storyline and she would have been set up as a bigger foil for Lois.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon11 View Post
    But it wasn't just her family, was it? She moved to another town, had bare minimum contact with the DP staff, and, yes, had like 3(?) scenes with her son post aged-up. And, I mean, be it in Bendis or Rucka's run, she didn't have any world-building or any remarkable character development in her new setting to justify it. Even her big book - the one that was supposed to show her "independency" - ended up being connected to Superman all the same.

    Not to forget, the amount of time Lois was shown confined to a room, relegated to giving Clark a pep talk or to serve as exposition to the overall plot was truly bothersome. Not a good look at all, IMO.

    I do think Checkmate can be a cool stunt (the Leviathan Rising issues were by miles the best use of her by Bendis). But at the end of the day that's all it's gonna be, a stunt. Just like the "writing a book" plot (that I see it's continuing with PKJ), I wouldn't want it to replace what's her character (being a reporter, chasing stories etc.)
    I agree she spent too much time in that hotel room, but I think she’s being set up for a meatier role in Jon’s book and possible involvement in the UP through Checkmate. We know nothing is continuing in PKJ’s run, she’s only going to be around until September at the latest. Then she’s Taylor’s. I think she’s going to play a far more substantial role in that book. It’s his first chance to write a real Lois.

  15. #105

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •