Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drops Of Venus View Post
    I couldn't help but notice that Sam was in his Cap suit on the cover for The United States Of Captain America #2. So I do wonder if they realized they basically fucked up his prominence in comics by reverting him to Falcon and are backpedaling on this. I'm ok with that. Sam was at his peak as Cap, and I would love if we could go back to that. He and Steve can share.

I think it's just for the sake of the anniversary with all the different Caps.

Like, I think Bucky will probably get his own cover in his Cap suit but I don't seem them making Bucky Cap again.

I don't think Sam was at his peak as Cap. Probably his most prominent, but he didn't reach his peak until the exact end, and then he gave it back up to Steve.
    He was carrying his Captain America ongoing just fine. The only reason why that title ended was because Marvel was stripping most of the newer legacy heroes of their shared mantles at the time; Jane stopped being Thor, Laura stopped being Wolverine, Amadeus stopped being Hulk and Sam stopped being Captain America. It felt like a pretty coward move to cater to nostalgia and the status quo. And then they relaunched a Falcon solo just to say ''hey, we tried'', but everybody knew a book named Falcon was never going to sell as much as a book named Captain America, so that got cancelled pretty quickly. And now they're looking stupid for setting Sam up like that, since the MCU is going in the opposite direction, and the character is going to be more mainstream than ever. Which is why I support Sam going back to being Cap. He deserves that comics spotlight again.
    I get it, although Sam's Cap sales weren't that exciting for the Spencer era if I remember right.

Sam will probably be back in the spotlight again one way or another, whether it's as Cap or otherwise. Of course I'm also against blatant movie synergy, but it is what it is.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Besouro View Post
    Has anyone considered that this supposedly "evil" v rsion of Agent 13 might be a Skrull?!?
    Yes...many have posed that thought.

He was carrying his Captain America ongoing just fine. The only reason why that title ended was because Marvel was stripping most of the newer legacy heroes of their shared mantles at the time; Jane stopped being Thor, Laura stopped being Wolverine, Amadeus stopped being Hulk and Sam stopped being Captain America. It felt like a pretty coward move to cater to nostalgia and the status quo. And then they relaunched a Falcon solo just to say ''hey, we tried'', but everybody knew a book named Falcon was never going to sell as much as a book named Captain America, so that got cancelled pretty quickly. And now they're looking stupid for setting Sam up like that, since the MCU is going in the opposite direction, and the character is going to be more mainstream than ever. Which is why I support Sam going back to being Cap. He deserves that comics spotlight again.
    Those were marketing gimmicks that everyone knew was going to end at a certain time...Just like John Walker as Cap and Otto as the Superior Spider-Man.

Don't get me wrong...I want writers and artists that can bring out everything these characters have to offer...but most get thru a certain amount of stories and it just peters out. I could see maybe a back up story in the Cap series like Rikki Barnes had as Nomad or subplots in Cap that give us a Falcon issue or arc to help make him more prominent.

I think the Falcon solo thought a little too outside the box with Sam fighting a demon lord instead of a more grounded enemy...and they saddled him with Other Patriot due to the Bradley legal issues.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 04-24-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Those were marketing gimmicks that everyone knew was going to end at a certain time...Just like John Walker as Cap and Otto as the Superior Spider-Man.

Don't get me wrong...I want writers and artists that can bring out everything these characters have to offer...but most get thru a certain amount of stories and it just peters out. I could see maybe a back up story in the Cap series like Rikki Barnes had as Nomad or subplots in Cap that give us a Falcon issue or arc to help make him more prominent.

I think the Falcon solo thought a little too outside the box with Sam fighting a demon lord instead of a more grounded enemy...and they saddled him with Other Patriot due to the Bradley legal issues.
    I think they invested more in them than as marketing gimmicks even if I think Marvel kind of fooled the audience to be thinking they'd be more permanent than they actually were.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they invested more in them than as marketing gimmicks even if I think Marvel kind of fooled the audience to be thinking they'd be more permanent than they actually were.
    Comics always go back to the status quo. Sam is a great character in his own right. I do not think they need to make him Cap to give him more prominence...they just have to use him in the right ways. Same with Cho, Jane and Rrir There was no need to push Steve, Bruce, Tony and Thor our of the way to make the replacements more prominent.

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Comics always go back to the status quo. Sam is a great character in his own right. I do not think they need to make him Cap to give him more prominence...they just have to use him in the right ways. Same with Cho, Jane and Rrir There was no need to push Steve, Bruce, Tony and Thor our of the way to make the replacements more prominent.
    No one ever doubted the original characters would come back. That was pretty much a given. What pisses me off was the performative initiative of promoting diversity on the forefront only to ''demote'' those characters at their first chance. I could accept some more than others, like Jane becoming Valkyrie, because at least it seems like Jason Aaron had a plan to keep her in the spotlight. But the same can't be said about Sam. He just got the short end of the stick, with no back-up plan. What they should've done was the same thing they did with Clint/Kate and Peter/Miles: they are proof that shared legacies can exist and Marvel can have the best of both worlds by keeping the classic and while pushing a new character.

Anyway, I still have hope. Hickman just recently made Laura Wolverine again (as she should be), so it's not impossible for Marvel to go back on their decisions.
    Last edited by Drops Of Venus; 04-25-2021 at 12:56 AM.

Extraordinary Member

No one ever doubted the original characters would come back. That was pretty much a given. What pisses me off was the performative initiative of promoting diversity on the forefront only to ''demote'' those characters at their first chance. I could accept some more than others, like Jane becoming Valkyrie, because at least it seems like Jason Aaron had a plan to keep her in the spotlight. But the same can't be said about Sam. He just got the short end of the stick, with no back-up plan. What they should've done was the same thing they did with Clint/Kate and Peter/Miles: they are proof that shared legacies can exist and Marvel can have the best of both worlds by keeping the classic and while pushing a new character.

Anyway, I still have hope. Hickman just recently made Laura Wolverine again (as she should be), so it's not impossible for Marvel to go back on their decisions.
    I have no problem promoting diversity...but not at the expense of the legacy characters. Let the new characters be their own thing. I do think it works with Ms Marvel because Carol willingly gave up that name to be Captain Marvel. So Kamala taking it is good. But doing the trope of killing off or otherwise incapacitating a legacy to give a new character their identity just makes me think of New Coke.

Ultimate Member

I have no problem promoting diversity...but not at the expense of the legacy characters. Let the new characters be their own thing. I do think it works with Ms Marvel because Carol willingly gave up that name to be Captain Marvel. So Kamala taking it is good. But doing the trope of killing off or otherwise incapacitating a legacy to give a new character their identity just makes me think of New Coke.
    Idk. Isn't it possible at some point the older characters will retire?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mik View Post
    Idk. Isn't it possible at some point the older characters will retire?
    Realistically...yes...sliding time scale...maybe. But even with the sliding time scale I doubt it would be in the next 50 years.

Ultimate Member

Realistically...yes...sliding time scale...maybe. But even with the sliding time scale I doubt it would be in the next 50 years.
    I get that. But it's possible writers may not want to invest in newer characters if the older ones are "enough".

Sam should still be Cap if you asked me. In 4 years he saved the world like 4 times. I just don't get why they bothered giving Steve the mantle back when he has just been doing the same old same for the most part. At least have there be two. But whatever. Falcon still rocks

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    Sam should still be Cap if you asked me. In 4 years he saved the world like 4 times. I just don't get why they bothered giving Steve the mantle back when he has just been doing the same old same for the most part. At least have there be two. But whatever. Falcon still rocks
    Comics reverting to status quo. That's unpossible

I don't know if it was so much a given because of how the mantle changes were handled and how Marvel were promoting them, but I feel like it was always going to be a rough transition trying to juggle the two together, especially when most franchises don't have the pull that Spider-Man does.

(I have a lot of issues with Clint and Kate, but this isn't the thread for that).

I am kind of surprised Coates didn't really do much with Sam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    I mean, Steve also saves the world a lot...it kind of comes with the territory.

Spectacular Member

I'm all for certain legacy titles being taken up by multiple heroes concurrently, which is why I'm fine if both Steve and Sam become Captain America. The upcoming Captain America mini-series seems to be setting up the idea of the Captain America codename being shared by a variety of different people across the United States, which to me suggests that Marvel is opening up to the idea of more than one Cap being around.

I do think that mini-series is setting up Sam to be Cap again; if Sam is going to be Captain America in the movies and merchandising now, I think he should be Cap in the comics as well. On that note, I know this is the Same Wilson Appreciation thread, but if Marvel is really setting up multiple Captain Americas across the US then I would love it if Bucky was also Cap. I know people would disagree and I don't know if Marvel will do it, but I'm down with three main Captain Americas in the Marvel Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by transformers03 View Post
    I'm all for certain legacy titles being taken up by multiple heroes concurrently, which is why I'm fine if both Steve and Sam become Captain America. The upcoming Captain America mini-series seems to be setting up the idea of the Captain America codename being shared by a variety of different people across the United States, which to me suggests that Marvel is opening up to the idea of more than one Cap being around.

I do think that mini-series is setting up Sam to be Cap again; if Sam is going to be Captain America in the movies and merchandising now, I think he should be Cap in the comics as well. On that note, I know this is the Same Wilson Appreciation thread, but if Marvel is really setting up multiple Captain Americas across the US then I would love it if Bucky was also Cap. I know people would disagree and I don't know if Marvel will do it, but I'm down with three main Captain Americas in the Marvel Universe.
    If Sam is Cap again, it would only be fair for Bucky to be Cap again, although I doubt that happens.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

God that costume looks so good!

I love how comic accurate it is, it may be the most comic accurate second only to Iron Man