Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

I'm kind of wondering how this is supposed to work for characters that drastically different origin stories, where race or sexuality (or hair colors) were changed or where their relatives where changed.

And will characters remember be age up and down relative to one another.
    Last edited by Aahz; 01-07-2021 at 01:58 AM.

I don't see "everything matters" being taken quite that literally. For characters like Jon, I can understand that they are taking a "he remembers everything" approach. He doesn't have decades of history, so it's really not that complicated to combine everything. On here, it sounds a lot like a fact that Jon remembers everything, but I don't know if solicitations or the writer already stated that.

For others, it just seems like too much of a complication and it also seems to kind of contradict what we've already heard? Sgt. Rock narrated DM #7 but at the end, he stated that he was already beginning to forget what happened. Granted he is in the past so, who knows how that works. While Tom Taylor said Last Stories of The DC Universe is an alternate future. It's one of the tie-ins that are an extension of Metal, though, so why is it an alternate future when DM isn't?

As I see it the individual writers will dictate what is canon and then the next writers will build upon that with their own canon but without contradictions. So maybe it is simply New52 but instead of mandated backstories, the writers get (almost) full rein and don't have to think about year timelines.

I could also see different editorials working on different earths, times, or whatever. If Superman/Batman is out-of-continuity, Titans Academy might be too, and then some other books. Maybe synergy books like Suicide Squad. While the Batman titles are more closely tied together.

Because I really don't see characters remembering everything working narratively. For a short time period and in a self-contained story? Sure, but not over multiple titles with different writers. And even if they say everyone remembers everything if they don't use it in-story, the characters don't because that's how stories work.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I just want to read a DC story that *isn't* about its fucked up continuity. (I know they exist, but the DCU is over-burdened by trying to explain itself)
    Word. Too much time is being spent looking at it and talking about it and re-examining it's ingredient list.

I just came to eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    As revealed in Death Metal and was further confirmed by Scott Snyder in interviews, characters will now remember their experiences from previous continuities.
    Poor Donna Troy...

It just hit me that if Black Canary and Green Arrow remember everything, they'll suddenly realise that GA has dated BC's mom? Yikes

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Whatever it is, it's easily ignored.

It just hit me that if Black Canary and Green Arrow remember everything, they'll suddenly realise that GA has dated BC's mom? Yikes
    Wasn't that retconned though? Like Dinah had her mother's memories implanted and thought she was actually her mom? Or something.like that, it was a mess.

If DC doesn't care about how it works, why should I?
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Whatever it is, it's easily ignored.
    I agree with you however you have to see what some writers might do with it, that's the problem.

Honestly it makes no sense this new continuity....

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    Wasn't that retconned though? Like Dinah had her mother's memories implanted and thought she was actually her mom? Or something.like that, it was a mess.
    So he is going to remember both versions, one with her mom and one with Dinah having fake memories.

Spectacular Member

Wasn't this the exact same direction they were going post-Convergence with DCYou? I don't think the 'Restored Infinite Multiverse' was ever mentioned, after its reveal post-Convergence though IIRC didn't Morrison's Multiversity pretty much previously establish The New 52 as a 'local multiverse' to many?

Extraordinary Member

Green Arrow could also remember having a son with the mother of his Half sister ...

It's so messy and unnecessary.
    So Lex remembers being a teenage delinquent who lived in Smallville and was in and out of prisons since he was a kid, and also remembers being a respected corporate CEO. It makes for really broken characters. Why does this Reboot make things more complicated?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jaygon View Post
    Wasn't this the exact same direction they were going post-Convergence with DCYou? I don't think the 'Restored Infinite Multiverse' was ever mentioned, after its reveal post-Convergence though IIRC didn't Morrison's Multiversity pretty much previously establish The New 52 as a 'local multiverse' to many?
    No DC You was just DC declaring we're gonna be focusing less on continuity between books because in New 52 it was too tight. The characters are still New 52, having and remembering only their New 52 back stories, there are only 52 Earths as defined by Multiversity, and Earth-0 is still the only center of the Multiverse.

After Death Metal there are two centers of the Multiverse and everyone remember everything from previous versions of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I'm kind of wondering how this is supposed to work for characters that drastically different origin stories, where race or sexuality (or hair colors) were changed or where their relatives where changed.

And will characters remember be age up and down relative to one another.
    They're not gonna talk about race or sexuality change because what's actually gonna be talked about? That they feel it's better now that they're black instead of white, bi instead of straight? Feels kinda loaded and I think no writer's gonna touch that.

About age, we already saw Tim Drake remembering his past life since the beginning of Young Justice, and the age was never brought up afaik
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 01-07-2021 at 09:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    It's so messy and unnecessary.
    So Lex remembers being a teenage delinquent who lived in Smallville and was in and out of prisons since he was a kid, and also remembers being a respected corporate CEO. It makes for really broken characters. Why does this Reboot make things more complicated?
    In theory Lex could have been a delinquent who was in and out of prisons since childhood and conned his way into becoming a respected CEO. But I doubt the folk at DC will make things so simple.