Incredible Member

Default Are comics all that important to WB now other than the IPs they represent?

With all the cuts to the comics arm I get the feeling that other than the IPs they represent that comics have slid down the priority list in the company even more so since the takeover.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    With all the cuts to the comics arm I get the feeling that other than the IPs they represent that comics have slid down the priority list in the company even more so since the takeover.
    I don't thing its entirely so, AT&T made a huge debt so it is forced to take measures to make cut loss making. The pandemic didn't help either in this regard.

Probably not but that’s because it’s like comparing apples to oranges a little bit. To explain what I mean, if you were to look at the most financially successful and popular comic dc makes, it wouldn’t even come close to the amount of money that a tv show, movie, or video game would make. It makes money to be fair and yes it inspires ideas for those mediums (looking at you court of owls in new Gotham Knights game) but they will never make the same amount of money which is why the comics alone will never get top billing in the company.

Like think about right now John Ridley’s Next Batman, that is an award winning movie and tv writer writing a new Batman which may attract a lot of attention and seems like a pretty big deal for the comics. However, no matter how well it may do it will never be able to make the same amount of money as Robert Pattinson in the new Batman movie and that’s why it will never get the same attention from WB/AT&T.
    Last edited by sifighter; 01-07-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

It's also used as a farming tool for stories to use in other media. The Court of Owls weren't even a thing a decade ago but have been translated to movies/tv/games numerous times already. Superman being a dad is fairly new but that concept is already being used for a TV show. Flashpoint has been adapted in both animation and live action (twice if the new movie uses it).

So its not just about maintaining IP, but for things to do with that IP.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Incredible Member

I think there’s some truth in what you’re saying as look at how fast Naomi & Yara Flora have got their own television shows.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Top Hat View Post
    I think there’s some truth in what you’re saying as look at how fast Naomi & Yara Flora have got their own television shows.
    The comic and book side provide material. Supplemental material to support that tv show or movie.

Yes Black Panther is an Oscar winning billion dollar movie. All his trades are supplement to help showcase the brand and be that bridge between the next movie.

What the books really do is keep the IP around in the minds of the public. So you avoid "out of sight out of mind".

Yes, but that's been the case for decades. From a financial standpoint, Marvel and DC's characters are less valuable as the stars of comic books and much more so as action figures and images you can put on lunch boxes and backpacks.

Extraordinary Member

The comics are R & D for the company’s IP.