Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default 2021 Mary Elizabeth "Bette" Kane | Bat-Girl & Flamebird Appreciation

Hello! Welcome to the 2021 appreciation thread for Bette Kane! Her last appearance was with the Titans West as Bat-Girl in a cameo during Death Metal Last Stories! The Last Stories cameo has given by some faith in 2021. Personally, I am hoping she appears in Teen Titans Academy.

An overview of her history can be found here

Link to her last appreciation thread

Lastly here is a link to her recommended reading

May 2021 be a fruitful year for Bette Kane!
    Last edited by Tsukiakari1203; 05-20-2021 at 04:51 PM.
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

YYYYAAAAAYY!! Thank you for doing this!

I am lurking in and around the Death Metal stuff - does anyone think this means she will be "re-visioned" once more,

this time maybe being acknowledge as the first, canon Bat-girl, despite the hyphen.
    I heard she appeared in the Deathy, Darkish Metaloid story with teen Titans.

Bat-girl from age 12 to 16, maybe 17 (time of that final TT story in late '70s)

*somehow becomes Flamebird, exactly unknown but for various theories about the Superman thing,

possibly by 20 or close?

eventually remerges to her cousin Kate around age 22 or so?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    YYYYAAAAAYY!! Thank you for doing this!

I am lurking in and around the Death Metal stuff - does anyone think this means she will be "re-visioned" once more,

this time maybe being acknowledge as the first, canon Bat-girl, despite the hyphen.
    I heard she appeared in the Deathy, Darkish Metaloid story with teen Titans.

Bat-girl from age 12 to 16, maybe 17 (time of that final TT story in late '70s)

*somehow becomes Flamebird, exactly unknown but for various theories about the Superman thing,

possibly by 20 or close?

eventually remerges to her cousin Kate around age 22 or so?
    i'd say place the kate thing recently and she should be around dick's age
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

In the Marvel timeline, about 15 or so years passed since the Fantastic Four's flight, FF # 1.

But how many have passed in a comparable time - early '60s - for the DC universe.

My guess is similar, sort of 15, to maybe 20.

But from that you have to reverse engineer events and such to figure stuff.

So, kinda sort, Most of the Silver age and onto the first game changer Crisis on Infinite Earths, mid '80s is maybe the first 5 to 10 years of DC's timeline.

Leaving at least 10 years have happened since that first Crisis, and most likely up to 5 years more.

Either that, or comic book characters never grow old (sorry, Sir Elton John)
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

So I finally went to a LCS, after months and months. I'd picked up curbside a few months ago, but had not set foot in there since maybe last February. I'd been going to the same shop sine the mid '80s. Can anyone beat that?

But amongst other 'pulls' I got the Last Stories of DC universe because it was mentioned that Betty as Bat-girl appears, in one panel.

She did. I spent $9 to see a nice panel with her and the others.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

So I finally went to a LCS, after months and months. I'd picked up curbside a few months ago, but had not set foot in there since maybe last February. I'd been going to the same shop sine the mid '80s. Can anyone beat that?

But amongst other 'pulls' I got the Last Stories of DC universe because it was mentioned that Betty as Bat-girl appears, in one panel.

She did. I spent $9 to see a nice panel with her and the others.
    i read it at the shop and I really liked the issue overall. Seeing Bette as Batgirl was really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    i read it at the shop and I really liked the issue overall. Seeing Bette as Batgirl was really nice
    I bought and will read it all, even the stories I would never read.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

i personally recommend the titans one, the canary/arrow one, plus aqua man's and diana's

Thanks. i once read and collected most of the regular DC comics; Green Lantern, Flash, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, JLA, etc. and just fell out after the first Crisis. But I did keep Legion of Super Heroes for a few years. They were really in a different continuity and there was

Sensor Girl. Which was a fantastic mystery. Did you ever read the original Sensor Girl story?
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

Thanks. i once read and collected most of the regular DC comics; Green Lantern, Flash, Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, JLA, etc. and just fell out after the first Crisis. But I did keep Legion of Super Heroes for a few years. They were really in a different continuity and there was

Sensor Girl. Which was a fantastic mystery. Did you ever read the original Sensor Girl story?
    Legion is not really a comic I am very interested in, sorry

It was a great mystery. I loved that story for its mystery and how it was revealed.

Bette Kane is/has a mystery too, and maybe it would make her character more important. But the writers have to see that.
    ~ Oberon ~

Incredible Member

batgirls discord server! bette is included

link here

Question is Mary still cannon as Batgirl or just Flamebird

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Question is Mary still cannon as Batgirl or just Flamebird
    Well, she is mostly 'Bette' actually. Mary is hardly used in conjunction with the comic character, so the 'Mary' on the CW channel Batwoman show is sort of a hybrid of Bette.

But her position as Bat-girl is more or less real, canon, with the most extreme naysayers going to Earth 2 stories for justification (there isn't any really).

She is certainly canon as the current Flamebird but not featured in any story as that, for some years now.
    ~ Oberon ~

A way of resolving or looking at the dichotomy of her existence or rank as a Bat-/girl is

in the early years, under the temporary protection or guardianship of her aunt Kathy (the original Batwoman) who was probably not inclined for any thing about this minor Kane child to be revealed or known.

So some of Bette's time is marginalized or obscured, at least until later, around the time when she tried to get involved with the old Titans, late '70s
    ~ Oberon ~