Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Bombshells Bette, Batter Up!

Attachment 107166
    my intro to bette, i loved it
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

So do Bette-fans see this new paradigm Frontier thing whatever, encompassing her own story and making it re-relevant or fitting into actual new canon.

?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Incredible Member

I just finished a read-through of Morrison's run. I would love to see Betty brought back in the context of all that super-spy stuff and St. Hadrian's and whatnot, and exploring her early relationship with Dick - and solidifying her place in the timeline as operating before Barbara. It's pretty funny how, in this age of acceptance, Steph and Cass have been absolved of their "toxicity" and yet Betty is still so persistently thrown under the bus. Her sole appearance in Tynion's Detective has Kate laughing off the idea of her suiting back up as Flamebird. Kind of weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    So do Bette-fans see this new paradigm Frontier thing whatever, encompassing her own story and making it re-relevant or fitting into actual new canon.

?
    What has Bette been in recently?

Not the one to ask; I only read Batwoman/related titles for the most part. I did pick up that special a few back that had Bette cameo'd as a Teen Titans member, I can't remember the name, but they showed various 'end' battles and it was about this freaky new stuff.

But I like what PurpleGlovez says. In the overall timeline, Bette's role as a "Bat-girl" was 2 brief parts; the possible summer vacation of her first appearances (others have speculated all her adventures with the original Batfamily were in about 1 summer, 3 months). and the second being the apparent few years later when she showed up around Teen Titans # 49 or 50.
    We could assume that if Betty/Bette was about 12 in the first part, that she was maybe 16 later, the semi or pro tennis stuff, etc. ? Does this sound plausible?
    So, post crisis as Flamebird would mostly likely put her/start as around 18. But the time of Batwoman volume 1, quasi-newDC, she might be somewhere in her college years, as she transferred to a Gotham university, right.
    I know nothing about the military and you don't want to know why, but would she not already have been too old to be a successful candidate at West Point? I realize that to me, she actually comes with enough training and experience to have not 'needed' that, per her favorite cousin Kate.
    ~ Oberon ~
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

To be honest. I wouldn't mind if they bring her back has Flamebird. Also if I remember correctly has flamebird or at least one version was Flamethrowers right? She can be on the Titans. But appear not too much in Batfam

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    To be honest. I wouldn't mind if they bring her back has Flamebird. Also if I remember correctly has flamebird or at least one version was Flamethrowers right? She can be on the Titans. But appear not too much in Batfam
    Pretty sure at least one Flamebird was on the Titans.
    Kara_Zor-El_Flamebird_001.jpg
    Well, not AS Flamebird though.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Pretty sure at least one Flamebird was on the Titans.
    Kara_Zor-El_Flamebird_001.jpg
    Well, not AS Flamebird though.
    Okay who ruined that

Its been so long, but this reminds me of the weird/off story where Supergirl and Powergirl played the roles of NW and FB in Kandor? it was extreme, but possibly the only other Flamebird I can dig.
    ~ Oberon ~

Its been so long, but this reminds me of the weird/off story where Supergirl and Powergirl played the roles of NW and FB in Kandor? it was extreme, but possibly the only other Flamebird I can dig.
    "reminds you of".... it is a pic of Kara Zor-El. For this story Supergirl was Flamebird, and Powergirl was Nightwing.

She was part of the Teen Titans(as Supergirl) at one point IIRC. So at least one person who used the Flamebird moniker has been a Teen Titan(but not as Flamebird).
    Last edited by marhawkman; 03-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.

Okay, I know you don't believe me, but I guess I was uncertain. But I knew that was from the story.

It is the only other acceptable version of Flamebird for me, lol, after Bette. And I see how you threw me off with the TT membership thing.

I actually forgot that too, as a long time reader. I can't even remember when that was!
    ~ Oberon ~

. . . It is the only other acceptable version of Flamebird for me, lol, after Bette...
    No respect for Jimmy Olsen as the original Flamebird?

Okay, I know you don't believe me, but I guess I was uncertain. But I knew that was from the story.

It is the only other acceptable version of Flamebird for me, lol, after Bette. And I see how you threw me off with the TT membership thing.

I actually forgot that too, as a long time reader. I can't even remember when that was!
    Hehe, the Kandor thing is a story that had very little... impact. It was a really neat arc, then it was over and forgotten. Also I think it may have been a mini-series.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    No respect for Jimmy Olsen as the original Flamebird?

Jimmy is the classic/template. I love him enough, sure. Those Kandor adventures (Curt Swan) are true favorites.

You reminded me of something I should not have forgot.
    But I can balance this with the fact that over the decades, Jimmy has had so much more other love for all of his various guises or personas. His Elongated Man is almost more classic than his FB, to me at least.

But sure, yeah. Thanks
    ~ Oberon ~

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Hehe, the Kandor thing is a story that had very little... impact. It was a really neat arc, then it was over and forgotten. Also I think it may have been a mini-series.
    Yes, it was a really small arc that kind of came out of nowhere. Visually and the weird tone of the Super Women as partners was so interesting.
    ~ Oberon ~