Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I like this style more than the one we got from the old animated movie universe, so at least that's one up.
    Omg, this style/animation is so much better. It's what got me to watch Man of Tomorrow in the first place. That parasite design was so cool, I want to see WW villains with this style.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    I'd be cool with that as long as they don't get out of hand like they did with their recent animated universe, were every movie was basically a sequel to the last. I don't think it boxed in the movies too much, but idk, it just got a little "blah" for me I guess. If that makes sense.
    I get you. If they are in the same continuity then so far they haven’t fallen into that problem. They’re all siloed enough that you don’t “have” to watch any of the others to know what’s going on if you don’t want to. I’m expecting a JL movie where they’ll all meet each other for the first time though, although they may also just dive into the League already being fully formed.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I like this style more than the one we got from the old animated movie universe, so at least that's one up.
    I'm the opposite - I liked the art style of the old universe so much more than this super bold line style. But I also hated the old universe's plots/stories and characterizations immensely, so art style isn't worth much in my opinion. Great art doesn't make a movie tolerable. But I really thought that last universe looked great.

This, I'll take a not as good art style if the movies themselves are better, but I really wish they weren't making another shared universe. There's no reason they need to do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This, Man of Tomorrow, and The Last Halloween all seem to take place in the same “continuity” judging by how they all use a similar art style.

Wasn’t Bloodlines after her movie? I went and checked Wikipedia and it looks like the first GL movie made more money: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC_U...riginal_Movies but the second made significantly less.
    You're right. My bad.

Also, I took a look at the list on the site and ordered them from highest to least grossers and...ooof:

Book1-1.jpg

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's funny that the head of DC animated films deemed Wonder Woman to be a failure that they put a pan on future female dtvs.

I remember that whole fiasco. The DVD's didn't sell fast enough. So they nixed all female led features including a Batgirl feature. Not that it didn't sell well, it just didn't sell fast enough.

It's noticeable that there are plenty of sequels on the list that didn't do as much but still got sequels.

I also wonder how much streaming affects these numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I remember that whole fiasco. The DVD's didn't sell fast enough. So they nixed all female led features including a Batgirl feature. Not that it didn't sell well, it just didn't sell fast enough.

It's noticeable that there are plenty of sequels on the list that didn't do as much but still got sequels.

I’m curious to know if putting the Direct to video movies on HBO Max has helped boost their numbers. Might be helping these movies reach a wider audience.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

You're right. My bad.

Also, I took a look at the list on the site and ordered them from highest to least grossers and...ooof:

Book1-1.jpg
    Hmm, interesting Superman: Doomsday still holds the title. Would have thought the two DKR movies would have clenched it.

It had the benefit of being the first one out of the gate and also speaks to what a big deal 'Death of Superman' was when it first came out.

I'm more surprised at the huge drop off between TDKR Pt 1 and 2 and how high 'Son of Batman', 'Killing Joke' and 'Public Enemies' are and how low New Frontier is.

I'm not surprised that the Nu52 movies had a trajectory pointed downwards though. It's no wonder they scrapped the whole universe and started over.

You have to give Diana credit. Hers was a solo feature that wasn't a direct adaptation of a critically acclaimed comic book and her comic wasn't undergoing a huge renaissance at the time like Green Lantern was, who also had a potential live action movie on the horizon at the time as well. The only other movie above that wasn't an adaptation is Justice League Crisis on Two Earths. She did well when you consider all these factors.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’m curious to know if putting the Direct to video movies on HBO Max has helped boost their numbers. Might be helping these movies reach a wider audience.
    I haven't seen much buzz on social media. Usually when people rediscover these movies, you see an influx of fans posting about it on IG or asking questions on Reddit. I've seen a few posts about JLD and WW 2009 but very rarely, you see something for Crisis on Two Earths or any of the other good stuff. We are lucky that we got to see these movies come out one by one, not sure how new fans will navigate through all this.

It had the benefit of being the first one out of the gate and also speaks to what a big deal 'Death of Superman' was when it first came out.

I'm more surprised at the huge drop off between TDKR Pt 1 and 2 and how high 'Son of Batman', 'Killing Joke' and 'Public Enemies' are and how low New Frontier is.

I'm not surprised that the Nu52 movies had a trajectory pointed downwards though. It's no wonder they scrapped the whole universe and started over.

You have to give Diana credit. Hers was a solo feature that wasn't a direct adaptation of a critically acclaimed comic book and her comic wasn't undergoing a huge renaissance at the time like Green Lantern was, who also had a potential live action movie on the horizon at the time as well. The only other movie above that wasn't an adaptation is Justice League Crisis on Two Earths. She did well when you consider all these factors.

I haven't seen much buzz on social media. Usually when people rediscover these movies, you see an influx of fans posting about it on IG or asking questions on Reddit. I've seen a few posts about JLD and WW 2009 but very rarely, you see something for Crisis on Two Earths or any of the other good stuff. We are lucky that we got to see these movies come out one by one, not sure how new fans will navigate through all this.
    TKJ I'm not particularly surprised by being that high. It's a sacred cow Batman title and add on the controversy with the changes they made with the Barbara/Bruce relationship and I can see why it sold well. I think that was one of the few of these animated DC movies that I saw get reviews outside of the usual comics online circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It's funny that the head of DC animated films deemed Wonder Woman to be a failure that they put a pan on future female dtvs.
    And yet it ended up in the top 10! I really enjoyed that film and 16 year old me wanted a sequel so bad! Crazy to see the downward trend of then animated films, though I think a large part of that has to do with the younger generation preferring streaming over DVD/Blu-Rays. I can see the future of the DC animated films being HBO Max exclusives

I remember renting Wonder Woman 2009 from my local Blockbuster. I later got my dad to buy it from Blockbuster when they went out of business....

I think that movie was my first introduction to the Wonder Woman mythos. I didn't really get into JL:U when it was airing on TV, I was much more of a Teen Titans kid when that show came on after.

The movie hasn't aged as well with me, but there are still parts of it I love.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-04-2021 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'm the opposite - I liked the art style of the old universe so much more than this super bold line style. But I also hated the old universe's plots/stories and characterizations immensely, so art style isn't worth much in my opinion. Great art doesn't make a movie tolerable. But I really thought that last universe looked great.

This, I'll take a not as good art style if the movies themselves are better, but I really wish they weren't making another shared universe. There's no reason they need to do this.
    It was probably more the costume designs I didn't care for mainly in the previous universe, which they ironically started changing just as that universe ended.

Though I've never been the biggest of the YJ-influenced style so now that the house style DC's using seems to be changing that's another thing I appreciate.

Bourassa's original design actually kind of grew on me, especially when she ditched the ponytail, but the Bloodline's design was superb.