Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

I just watched the movie, the "curbstomping" that people are complaining about is nowhere NEAR what I thought it'd be from descriptions.

THAT said, I will complain that
    spoilers:
    None of Wonder Woman's rogues showed up...I thought that this would have been a perfect opportunity for Baroness von Gunther, but they didn't really lean to much in the Nazi enemies as much as I thought they would and it looks like the Atlantians became the villains of the film. They should have ditched Psycho Pirate and mind controlled Aquaman and just condensed both of them into Queen Clea. If people are going to complain about power levels regardless, they could have at least used a classic Wonder Woman foe. When Wonder Woman breaks the trident that seems to control the sea monsters, Clea loses control of them and they decide to return to where they came, rather than the anti-climatic way Aquaman left.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I just watched the movie, the "curbstomping" that people are complaining about is nowhere NEAR what I thought it'd be from descriptions.

THAT said, I will complain that
    spoilers:
    None of Wonder Woman's rogues showed up...I thought that this would have been a perfect opportunity for Baroness von Gunther, but they didn't really lean to much in the Nazi enemies as much as I thought they would and it looks like the Atlantians became the villains of the film. They should have ditched Psycho Pirate and mind controlled Aquaman and just condensed both of them into Queen Clea. If people are going to complain about power levels regardless, they could have at least used a classic Wonder Woman foe. When Wonder Woman breaks the trident that seems to control the sea monsters, Clea loses control of them and they decide to return to where they came, rather than the anti-climatic way Aquaman left.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yes, I agree. It's not really a Wonder Woman movie, but she is headlining it and she is so tied into World War II it just seems bizarre to not use one of her villains. I don't know why they wanted Aquaman in the movie that badly that they had to make him a villain to squeeze him in. He wasn't even on the original JSA team to begin with...(although I don't think WW joined until a few issues in?)
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 04-28-2021 at 03:13 PM.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

They are going with semi original storylines so it makes "sense" they'd feature who they featured instead of trying to be completely canon to the comic lineup.

Having WW enemies show up would've been great but for once they were fairly fair in not using anyone elses enemies to be the big bad or really show off except for youknowwho. She's the team leader in a film called Justice Society, that's a small win in my book.
    Last edited by Primal Slayer; 04-28-2021 at 03:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    They are going with semi original storylines so it makes "sense" they'd feature who they featured instead of trying to be completely canon to the comic lineup.

Having WW enemies show up would've been great but for once they were fairly fair in not using anyone elses enemies to be the big bad or really show off except for youknowwho. She's the team leader in a film called Justice Society, that's a small win in my book.
    spoilers:
    you mean for Brainiac to get absolutely creamed by Flash? I hope that was just a copy of the real deal.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    spoilers:
    you mean for Brainiac to get absolutely creamed by Flash? I hope that was just a copy of the real deal.
    end of spoilers
    Yep. Apart from him, there were no other big bads in this movie that really belonged to other heroes.

Mighty Member

spoilers:
    Yes, I agree. It's not really a Wonder Woman movie, but she is headlining it and she is so tied into World War II it just seems bizarre to not use one of her villains. I don't know why they wanted Aquaman in the movie that badly that they had to make him a villain to squeeze him in. He wasn't even on the original JSA team to begin with...(although I don't think WW joined until a few issues in?)
    end of spoilers
    Oh how funny, you said the same thing a couple pages back (I refrained from reading after the first mention of Aquaman to see what everyone is talking about before I make judgement). Great minds and all that. spoilers:
    This being an alternate universe gave them such an EASY way out to explain why the noble Arthur isn't the ruler of Atlantis but instead some evil vindictive woman who is aiding the bad guys but is planning to wipe them out afterward and conquer the surface is the queen. I don't understand what the point of doing a mind controlled Aquaman was. Sure there's "recognition", but Psycho Pirate is no where NEAR a household name. In fact, I thought he was Ocean Master when I first saw him.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    When WW has been used as a villain in other movies. She is not portrayed as a big top powerful act. In flashpoint she was a villain. And AQ was able to match her on land and shazam almost beat her. In Injustice, she is a villain and she gets trashed often. Double standards at their best.
    I rewatched Flashpoint just to refresh my memory (hate this movie, animation is beyond ugly to me) and just like with this film, her power level is fine. She wasn't treated as weak, she was able to kill Aquaman and Captain Thunder so that should make some happy since she was the victor. The only thing that takes her out is a cosmic blast of epic proportions. So perfectly fine depiction of her as a villain.

Oh how funny, you said the same thing a couple pages back (I refrained from reading after the first mention of Aquaman to see what everyone is talking about before I make judgement). Great minds and all that. spoilers:
    This being an alternate universe gave them such an EASY way out to explain why the noble Arthur isn't the ruler of Atlantis but instead some evil vindictive woman who is aiding the bad guys but is planning to wipe them out afterward and conquer the surface is the queen. I don't understand what the point of doing a mind controlled Aquaman was. Sure there's "recognition", but Psycho Pirate is no where NEAR a household name. In fact, I thought he was Ocean Master when I first saw him.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    At this point, Dr. Psycho is more of a household name. They could have just had Nazi-fied him instead TBH.

But having a mind controlled villain be the main villain in a movie with Wonder Woman as a leading character makes no sense considering she has the lasso. Her lack of using it, by far, bothers me more than anything since it was clear the writers were just avoiding it for the plot... It just makes her look bad when she has an easy solution and doesn't use it because "there's no time" as the movie puts it.
    end of spoilers

spoilers:
    At this point, Dr. Psycho is more of a household name. They could have just had Nazi-fied him instead TBH.

But having a mind controlled villain be the main villain in a movie with Wonder Woman as a leading character makes no sense considering she has the lasso. Her lack of using it, by far, bothers me more than anything since it was clear the writers were just avoiding it for the plot... It just makes her look bad when she has an easy solution and doesn't use it because "there's no time" as the movie puts it.
    end of spoilers
    See now that to me is very valid and I can agree. It made no sense.

I rewatched Flashpoint just to refresh my memory (hate this movie, animation is beyond ugly to me) and just like with this film, her power level is fine. She wasn't treated as weak, she was able to kill Aquaman and Captain Thunder so that should make some happy since she was the victor. The only thing that takes her out is a cosmic blast of epic proportions. So perfectly fine depiction of her as a villain.
    Ok so context... she killed an Aquaman who was already on his knees after Superman intervened, otherwise pretty much on even footing, IDK what happened in the comics and I'm not about to pay money to find out. As for Thunder, I pretty sure I watched a video review say that in the comics he was winning till some magic user turned him back and we get Diana the child killer.

I just wanna point out that the people who are kind of pissed off at this fight (myself included) aren't saying that Aquaman should be weak, just that Diana shouldn't have struggled against him, especially if she was trying and on land. He just really isn't on a level where Diana should find it a challenge.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    I also very much agree with this.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

See now that to me is very valid and I can agree. It made no sense.
    Yeah I put my full feeling of the movie on page 16.

That plot hole was #1.

Mighty Member

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Yeah...I don't even recall the lasso getting used once...They lampshaded interrogating Barry with the lasso but they were ready to beat it out of him (which would have taken longer)

Did the Justice Society even learn that Aquaman was under mind control? Diana got a taste of that mind control under water but did they know that Psycho Pirate had that ability? I think they still thought he was Aquaman's crony
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Ok so context... she killed an Aquaman who was already on his knees after Superman intervened, otherwise pretty much on even footing, IDK what happened in the comics and I'm not about to pay money to find out. As for Thunder, I pretty sure I watched a video review say that in the comics he was winning till some magic user turned him back and we get Diana the child killer.

I just wanna point out that the people who are kind of pissed off at this fight (myself included) aren't saying that Aquaman should be weak, just that Diana shouldn't have struggled against him, especially if she was trying and on land. He just really isn't on a level where Diana should find it a challenge.
    If Diana shouldn't find him a challenge then you arent going to have an interesting fight/movie where he's the villain (in both). As far as the comics go...it's a moot point for me since in the movie she is the one who forces CT to revert back to the Baston kids (with her lasso btw which was nice)

I know and am not happy that Diana is generally treated as 2nd tier by DC in a lot of things but when it comes to these animated films where she is on equal footing, I am ok with it. She isn't being shown as being weak, she isn't necessarily being bested. It isnt a case like Snyders JL where she is so easily taken down. But I am also the same way with Superman, I dont need him to be all powerful which is why I prefer STAS/JL(U) where others are able to take him on.

When I watched this movie, I was more unimpressed by her overall lack of interesting character than I was her power level.

spoilers:
    Yeah...I don't even recall the lasso getting used once...They lampshaded interrogating Barry with the lasso but they were ready to beat it out of him (which would have taken longer)

Did the Justice Society even learn that Aquaman was under mind control? Diana got a taste of that mind control under water but did they know that Psycho Pirate had that ability? I think they still thought he was Aquaman's crony
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Diana should have learned when Pirate mind-controlled her. It doesn't seem like his powers come with mind-whipping since Aquaman remembered everything he did...

Also Pirate mind-controlling Diana into attacking Aquaman under water makes no sense either because he needed Aquaman to open the door...why risk having her take him out?
    end of spoilers