Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 222829303132

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Yeah, same one and the guy from the 90s Starman series.

Probably worst writer on WW who isn’t Tom Taylor.
    I think Taylor never wrote WW ongoing?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Gaius just means of the writers who have written Diana in any capacity whether on team books or her solo or whatever.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Or another symptom of their strange aversion of the NTT era legacy heroes.

Yes.
    Not necessarily. Nightwing appears in Young Justice and Titans, and Donna is featured in the latter.

Was Superhero Girls made when the rights issues preventing Donna from appearing adaptations were unresolved?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not necessarily. Nightwing appears in Young Justice and Titans, and Donna is featured in the latter.

Was Superhero Girls made when the rights issues preventing Donna from appearing adaptations were unresolved?
    Yes. I think that issue was resolved in the early 2010’s. Donna also appears in Young Justice in season 3.

DC made her use Wonder Woman because she was the bigger name (the biggest name, honestly) and wanted to capitalize on it.
    Also Diana was a main character in the first version of DC Superhero Girls so I would imagine telling new toys under the same title had something to do with it.

Edit: Donna is also featured in the Super Best Friends Forever short which was the is the inspiration for the new version of DC Superhero Girls.

Last edited by I'm a Fish; 05-21-2021 at 02:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Gaius just means of the writers who have written Diana in any capacity whether on team books or her solo or whatever.
    What Vordan said.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post

They happen in spite of certain factions of DC not liking them. Donna was until recently also weighed down because of licensing issues. Dick will always benefit from being connected to both Batman's huge media empire and the Titans franchise but has never been a solo star in any adaptation. Donna is *just* getting out there, Titans is a terrible show even though Conor Leslie is as perfect a casting as you can get, her appearance in YJ is a cameo and she was a part of the team in off screensville, the only best feature she's had was Lauren Faust's Super Best Friends.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I received the blu-ray a week ago from doing the pre-order. It took a week after that for me to finally go see it since I was so underwhelmed by what I have read and seen on youtube about the movie.

As has been said, how could there have not been enough time to use her lasso? This is called bad writing. I don't think she used the lasso at all in the movie (maybe she did, but I don't remember).

Her fight sequences against the 'grunts' were well done and enjoyable and with her throwing tanks she did seem to be the powerhouse of the team. Again, we get that 50-50% chance of her flying and of course, she couldn't.

If there was a romance to be had between Diana and Steve, I wish it could have been fleshed out more. I generally don't like Trevor as her boyfriend, but he was for the most part fine in this movie.

The undersea battle between Diana and Aquaman went too fast and decisive for me. Very underwhelming and a little too much of a jobbing for Wonder Woman there. Although I do expect Aquaman to win battles solely underwater, the quickness of the fight did not score very many points for Wondy. Also, the 'Advisor' was quick to manipulate Diana's mind which I thought would be harder to do.

The 2nd fight between Aquaman and Diana on land was still, in my opinion, another disappointing showing for Wondy. She could only hold her own, at best, and was losing until Trevor rammed a car into AQ. It took AQ seconds to throw the car off of him (as well as being bullet proof) while Wondy said she needed a minute on the ground to gather herself. As far as I know, the trident did not enhance AQ's strength nor was it shown to do that other than throw off mystical energies to open the undersea door. Apparently the force from the broken trident damaged Wondy more than it did AQ, although some will point out that she was closest to the explosion.

And, of course, Superman saves the day at the end. This being the 1940's, shouldn't he have only jumped tall buildings instead of actual flight? I mean, they nerfed Diana, they could have done the same to him. At least the Bat-God wasn't in here.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I received the blu-ray a week ago from doing the pre-order. It took a week after that for me to finally go see it since I was so underwhelmed by what I have read and seen on youtube about the movie.

As has been said, how could there have not been enough time to use her lasso? This is called bad writing. I don't think she used the lasso at all in the movie (maybe she did, but I don't remember).

Her fight sequences against the 'grunts' were well done and enjoyable and with her throwing tanks she did seem to be the powerhouse of the team. Again, we get that 50-50% chance of her flying and of course, she couldn't.

If there was a romance to be had between Diana and Steve, I wish it could have been fleshed out more. I generally don't like Trevor as her boyfriend, but he was for the most part fine in this movie.

The undersea battle between Diana and Aquaman went too fast and decisive for me. Very underwhelming and a little too much of a jobbing for Wonder Woman there. Although I do expect Aquaman to win battles solely underwater, the quickness of the fight did not score very many points for Wondy. Also, the 'Advisor' was quick to manipulate Diana's mind which I thought would be harder to do.

The 2nd fight between Aquaman and Diana on land was still, in my opinion, another disappointing showing for Wondy. She could only hold her own, at best, and was losing until Trevor rammed a car into AQ. It took AQ seconds to throw the car off of him (as well as being bullet proof) while Wondy said she needed a minute on the ground to gather herself. As far as I know, the trident did not enhance AQ's strength nor was it shown to do that other than throw off mystical energies to open the undersea door. Apparently the force from the broken trident damaged Wondy more than it did AQ, although some will point out that she was closest to the explosion.

And, of course, Superman saves the day at the end. This being the 1940's, shouldn't he have only jumped tall buildings instead of actual flight? I mean, they nerfed Diana, they could have done the same to him. At least the Bat-God wasn't in here.
    1940's Superman did not fly in this movie, he was jumping from plane to plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    1940's Superman did not fly in this movie, he was jumping from plane to plane.
    He certainly looked like he was flying. Didn't he glide down at the end?

Astonishing Member

Watched it a couple of days back and I thought it was great! I mean, its not perfect, and there are definitely a few things that could have been handled differently. But on the whole it was a pretty enjoyable animated film.

It does seem like this new era is aiming to be a bit more retro in its influences after the New 52/Rebirth and mildly Post-Crisis inspired previous continuity. I see a lot more influence from the Golden Age and Silver Age - not just in terms of characters and plot references, but also tone and the kind of fun 'anything goes' unshackled creativity that used to be at the heart of comic-book storytelling in a bygone era.

At the same time, they're not averse to contemporary influences either. Wonder Woman in particular sometimes feels like she's straight out of the DCEU (they might as well have given up the pretence and just played her damn movie theme during the fight in the French village ), and yet this is a take on Diana that we haven't really seen in any particular adaptation so far. This is Diana as not just a warrior, but as a soldier and leader. Sure she's compassionate, but she can be a hardass too and doesn't hesitate to punch Nazis, or anyone else for that matter. And I felt her power levels were about right for the Golden Age...though her not using the lasso was conspicuous. I really was expecting it in the final battle...

That apart, I felt the film did a pretty good job with the other characters. Everyone got a moment to shine - both Flashes, Hawkman, Black Canary, even Hourman (who isn't really known to casual audiences).

spoilers:
    I LOVED the twists and turns the plot took! Sometimes it may have been a bit over-the-top, but this is the stuff Silver Age comics were made of! Flash suddenly discovering he's not time-traveled but in a parallel universe where there's another Superman (with a moustache...nice nod to the Cavill moustache drama!) Aquaman is EVIL...no wait, he's being mind-controlled to work for the Nazis. And all this is happening in the middle of an adventure Flash is having with the Superman on his earth, fighting Brainiac who's armed with kryptonite. Its like the writers are a bunch of kids playing feverishly with their entire DC Comics toybox

On the subject of Superman...I loved how his Earth 2 counterpart (if we can call it that) grew up in an orphanage. It was a neat reference to the earliest version of the origin, where Clark was raised in an orphanage (the Kents were only added to the origin a bit later in Superman # 1). And I also liked his having Golden Age power levels, and his suit looking almost like the original Action Comics # 1 suit, apart from the chest symbol which kinda resembled the one that the Earth 2 Superman later wore.

That said, I definitely feel there was stuff that could have been done better. The Dr. Fate subplot for instance was a bit too vague, and I'd liked to have learned more about whyhe pulled Barry into Earth 2. I didn't even recognize Kamandi (haven't watched the short) so I didn't understand that bit either. To my knowledge, they've never made one of the DC Showcase shorts necessary to understand the story before. The Advisor (whom I also didn't recognize as a version of Psycho Pirate) was a bit too thinly sketched. We never got to really see Aquaman much after he snapped out of the Advisor's control. And Barry's presence on Earth 2 ultimately didn't really change anything if you think about it...its almost like a he took a trip along with the JSA and 'learned a lesson' about tomorrow not being guaranteed which leads him to propose to Iris at the end with Steve's ring. Oh, and he gets inspired to form the Justice League. Was that it? Was that why Dr. Fate brought him to Earth 2?
    end of spoilers

Still, as I said, it was a nostalgic Silver Age-esq thrill ride once you left your brains behind a bit. I'm waiting to see what this team does when they need to adapt a story that required you to actually use your brains...namely The Long Halloween. If the quality of writing can match up to the visuals, then we're in for a treat...

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He certainly looked like he was flying. Didn't he glide down at the end?
    What's falling but gliding downward?

He was just leaping, but with no tall buildings, those bounds looked like flight because his landings were on aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    What's falling but gliding downward?

He was just leaping, but with no tall buildings, those bounds looked like flight because his landings were on aircraft.
    If he doesn't have flight, then how could he glide?

Upon watching it again, it does appear he is jumping. Sort of inconclusive like Wondy jumping/flying at the end of her 2017 movie, but in this case it does look like he is jumping.

Although, to be fair, how does he accuratly jump from the ground to one of those moving airplanes in the first place?

No matter, Wondy was still a jobber in the movie.
    Last edited by BiteTheBullet; 06-05-2021 at 03:57 AM.

He was just falling with style. :P

Astonishing Member

Upon watching it again, it does appear he is jumping. Sort of inconclusive like Wondy jumping/flying at the end of her 2017 movie, but in this case it does look like he is jumping.

Although, to be fair, how does he accuratly jump from the ground to one of those moving airplanes in the first place?

Maybe he does have some limited flying ability...he just isn't aware of it yet.

That's actually the explanation Superman Smashes the Klan gives for the original Golden Age power levels...well, kinda.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

How do these superheroes always measure the exact amount of force not to absolutely destroy anyone they touch? It's just part of the genre. They have an innate mastery of their skills, or else Clark would have broken just about everything in the Kent home as a child and probably knocked it over when he sneezed. You do realize he uses the restroom and doesn't make a trench with his urine stream, right?

Diana didn't job any more than anyone else did. They were all scaled down. Barry, Jay, Carter... Just about the only character who was scaled up was arguably Black Canary and maybe Aquaman to be a credible threat to Diana. And she still broke the trident, which is supposed to be as sacred as her lasso and everyone loses their **** when someone breaks the lasso.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    He was just falling with style. :P
    My man.