Mighty Member

Default Joe Johnston and Captain America: Winter Soldier

Anyone know why Marvel didn't tap him to helm Winter Soldier? I thought he did a decent job with TFA so I was a little surprised. The Russo brothers again, I was surprised they were picked, but they've since done well. I mean their previous movie was You, Me, and Dupree. So, Marvel execs took a look at that and said "Y'know, they would be perfect for Winter Soldier!"

I think it's partially because Joe Johnston's rep is sort of "Speilberg-lite" (He's almost sort of a Spielberg/Lucas protege of sorts as he also worked on Star Wars & Indiana Jones before Honey I Shrunk The Kids) if you look at the films he's directed (Including Cap).....except for Not Safe For Work, which I haven't seen but came out around the same time as Winter Soldier and seems to be quite different from his usual stuff.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Scheduling conflicts and while I like TFA I'm happy the Russo came aboard. They set a new tone with that first boat siege scene. Cap going no parachute and then that first guy he kicks the **** out if. The movie had a great story and had far superior action. Curious what Johnstons take on that script would have looked like though.

The Russos had serious action directing chops from the paintball episode of Community.

Boisterously Confused

I loved both CATFA and The Rocketeer. Johnston was great on those two, but TWS was a very different story, and Johnston was probably wrong for it.

ETA: I reread your OP. No, no more idea why they would have taken the Russos over Johnston. But then, both Favreau and Branagh made my eyebrows climb back in Phase 1, and turned out okay.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 01-08-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I loved both CATFA and The Rocketeer. Johnston was great on those two, but TWS was a very different story, and Johnston was probably wrong for it.

ETA: I reread your OP. No, no more idea why they would have taken the Russos over Johnston. But then, both Favreau and Branagh made my eyebrows climb back in Phase 1, and turned out okay.
    Yeah Ken Branagh did great with Thor. He made it very Shakespearean with all of the action. Jon Favreau I remember thinkinng "the director of Elf is doing Iron Man?" I also remember him on Friends too. But he knocked it and IM 2 out of the park.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post

Johnston was busy making NSFW I think. If he wouldn't have had scheduling conflicts I think he would have been back.

MCU has hired a bunch of directors out of left field since James Gunn,Waititi,Chloe Zhou,Destin Cretton,and the team who directed Captain Marvel. Coogler made sense cause he had just came off of Creed but mos these other directors were shocking choices for 200m budget films.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Johnston was busy making NSFW I think. If he wouldn't have had scheduling conflicts I think he would have been back.

MCU has hired a bunch of directors out of left field since James Gunn,Waititi,Chloe Zhou,Destin Cretton,and the team who directed Captain Marvel. Coogler made sense cause he had just came off of Creed but mos these other directors were shocking choices for 200m budget films.
    And yet made good to great films. And different films as well. Anyone who thinks GOTG was the same as Winter Soldier is really watching the movies.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    And yet made good to great films. And different films as well. Anyone who thinks GOTG was the same as Winter Soldier is really watching the movies.
    It makes me very curious about Feige's producer process. Does he have some way of soliciting pitches that separates ideas from names, or does he just have that good a nose for what will work?

Either way, we won't know the full story on the MCU as a business until Feige is fully separated from it. Not looking forward to that day, but undeniably curious to see what happens.