Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Chumps: Lex Luthor, Zod, Braniac, Darkseid

Champ: Terra Man

Bless you, Gaius.

Chumps: Lex Luthor, Zod, Braniac, Darkseid

Champ: Terra Man

I’d want to heavily revamp him, but the basic idea of a “Man of Yesterday” human who got abducted and made his name out in space, coming back to Earth after all this time and meeting Superman definitely has potential.

Incredible Member

a space cowboy with a flying horse is silly and he was never a serious threat to supes

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I’d want to heavily revamp him, but the basic idea of a “Man of Yesterday” human who got abducted and made his name out in space, coming back to Earth after all this time and meeting Superman definitely has potential.
    Am I forgetting or did Morrison not use him in his New 52 run? The name "Terra-Man" sounds familiar.

Incredible Member

Close but no, Morrison made his own character; Nimrod the Hunter.

NImrod.jpg

Though to be fair, certain aspects do remind me of Terra-Man

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    a space cowboy with a flying horse is silly and he was never a serious threat to supes

Yep historically he was just a joke villain, but there have been lots of joke villains that have been revamped into serious threats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Am I forgetting or did Morrison not use him in his New 52 run? The name "Terra-Man" sounds familiar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post

NImrod.jpg

Nimrod was very clearly a spiritual successor to Terra-Man with his cowboy iconography. That Nimrod design is absolute killer and is exactly the kind of look I’d want to see used for my revamp. I’d also rename him “The Terran” simple because “Terra-Man” always made me think he had similar powers as Geoforce or Terra lol.

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    I mean sure but we also live in a world where Bat-fans insist I'm expected to take a reject Dick Tracy villain is among the great villains of literature and that a man who makes ice puns pining after his waifu is a modern Greek Tragedy.

Nimrod was very clearly a spiritual successor to Terra-Man with his cowboy iconography. That Nimrod design is absolute killer and is exactly the kind of look I’d want to see used for my revamp. I’d also rename him “The Terran” simple because “Terra-Man” always made me think he had similar powers as Geoforce or Terra lol.
    I'd just go The Terran With No Name.
    Last edited by Gaius; 01-25-2021 at 01:09 PM.

I mean sure but we also live in a world where Bat-fans insist I'm expected to take a reject Dick Tracy villain is among the great villains of literature
    I assume you are talking about Joker but I never read or watched anything with Dick Tracy. Could you elaborate on the connection?

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post

NImrod.jpg

To me, Nimrod seems like a great white hunter vibe. Like Kraven, but with high tech. Not cowboy.

Someone else has read the Superman 2000 proposal? It had interesting takes on the Superman rogues and making interesting approaches to the characters, like giving Metallo a red kryptonite heart , making Myzptlk a more Loki-ist attitude deity and transforming the Prankster into the ultimate troller/anarchist.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

https://sites.google.com/a/deepspace...-2000-proposal
    Loved it when I read it, but don't remember much. I think Toyman was somehow similar to Chucky?

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    To me, Nimrod seems like a great white hunter vibe. Like Kraven, but with high tech. Not cowboy.

Someone else has read the Superman 2000 proposal? It had interesting takes on the Superman rogues and making interesting approaches to the characters, like giving Metallo a red kryptonite heart , making Myzptlk a more Loki-ist attitude deity and transforming the Prankster into the ultimate troller/anarchist.
    We had a whole thread about the proposal a while back. Really liked the Mxy concept, definitely wouldn’t mind someone swiping and applying that. Personally I actually prefer Busiek’s revamp over the 2000 one for Prankster. The Toyman one was very cool though, a sentient toy would allow Schlott to be a good guy while still having a villainous Toyman.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I assume you are talking about Joker but I never read or watched anything with Dick Tracy. Could you elaborate on the connection?
    The enemies of Batman are heavily inspired in the work of Chester Gould's Dick Tracy. Not only in appearance they ressemble the style of such characters, but some characters had the same modus operandi, like Haf-and-Haf with Two Faces, for example.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I mean sure but we also live in a world where Bat-fans insist I'm expected to take a reject Dick Tracy villain is among the great villains of literature and that a man who makes ice puns pining after his waifu is a modern Greek Tragedy.
    Well, to be fair, the pining for his wife version is far less prone to ice puns (despite what Batman and Robin might tell you).

We had a whole thread about the proposal a while back. Really liked the Mxy concept, definitely wouldn’t mind someone swiping and applying that. Personally I actually prefer Busiek’s revamp over the 2000 one for Prankster. The Toyman one was very cool though, a sentient toy would allow Schlott to be a good guy while still having a villainous Toyman.
    Honestly, to me the Toyman rework was the least favorite. And about Busiek, I really liked his reinvention of the Kryptonite man. I would like to see that version return. he had the best motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post

The Up, Up, and Away power hungry scientist? He didn’t really do anything for me, I found him pretty boring. My favorite Kryptonite Man incarnation is Clay Ramses, the New 52 K-Man created by Morrison. Him being an abusive husband who wanted to find his wife and kid after Supes kicked his ass was a great way to elevate some of those “grounded” Golden Age social ills Superman started out fighting in the New 52.

And yeah you’re right, New 52 Nimrod was definitely cast in the Kraven mold (hell look at their names, a “nimrod” is an idiot and a “craven” is a coward). That’s why I’d take that “look” for the Terran and base my revamp around it, but I wouldn’t keep the whole “Russian hunter” background since it’s too derivative imo. I just really love that look and don’t want to see it disappear forever like it seemingly is going too. Also I forgot Terra-Man was in the Legion cartoon

They pretty heavily revamped him but that’s not a bad design at all.