Page 35 of 64 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Seeing that He-Man trailer just made me even more convinced that they should make Xa into a Skeletor like necromancer/dark magic foe for Clark who uses the power of the Zone as if it’s magic.

He’s in Suicide Squad and will be tangling with Ultraman of all people so I think we’re safe for now . Gunn knows his comics and has said Bloodsport is imprisoned for shooting Superman, so I don’t see that connection going away even if I’m sure DC doesn’t have a clue as to how to revamp Bloodsport as a foe for Clark.
    I will never accept Skeletor or those inspired by him as anything other than a complete boob (and I adore him that way) so I certainly hope that's not where Xa-Du is going.

If he does, I will be livid if he doesn't lock someone into the Phantom Zone with him and upon their smelling something foul he gleefully shout "behold the wrath of Xa-Du's breakfast burrito" like Skeletor in that one Robot Chicken sketch. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I will never accept Skeletor or those inspired by him as anything other than a complete boob (and I adore him that way) so I certainly hope that's not where Xa-Du is going.
    My first introduction to Skeletor was in the 2002 cartoon where he was competent and actually intimidating so it's always surreal knowing how people see old school Skeletor .

The visual alone is pure fire.
    I’m verrrry excited to see him showing up over in WW. It’s kind of funny how Xa has survived past Morrison’s run getting thrown out. Reminds me how Professor Pyg of all villains has really seen a lot of use post Morrison.
    Seriously, who just sits on an evil Krpytonian mummy?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    My first introduction to Skeletor was in the 2002 cartoon where he was competent and actually intimidating so it's always surreal knowing how people see old school Skeletor .

If he does, I will be livid if he doesn't lock someone into the Phantom Zone with him and upon their smelling something foul he gleefully shout "behold the wrath of Xa-Du's breakfast burrito" like Skeletor in that one Robot Chicken sketch. lol
    Lol definitely don’t want the incompetent old Skeletor, but the hamminess that comes with the character is pretty much already a part of who Xa-Du is. And I think the powerset is better suited for Xa in that while he’s strong and buff, that’s not his main threat.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I’ve never watched the old He-Man cartoons but I do know the memes
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Old-school Skeletor had a fundamental limitation that was imposed by the rating of the TV show. If it was R rated.... yeah... pretty sure things would have been more... scary.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Old-school Skeletor had a fundamental limitation that was imposed by the rating of the TV show. If it was R rated.... yeah... pretty sure things would have been more... scary.
    Oh absolutely, but I love that insufferable boob. I wouldn't change a thing about him.

BANNED

I always loved the idea of Xa-du being a skeletal sorcerer myself

Though I am more tempted by making him into Zod’s master or even pre-flashpoint Christopher Kent

Quote Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post
    I always loved the idea of Xa-du being a skeletal sorcerer myself

Though I am more tempted by making him into Zod’s master or even pre-flashpoint Christopher Kent
    I think I have a better idea.

Why was Xa-Du sent to the Phantom Zone? "Illegal medical research"... into the same sort of cryogenic suspension that (at least in some continuities) is how Supergirl survived the destruction of Krypton. So if you play with that angle you need to question why he was a criminal... hard. was he actually deserving of being sent to the Phantom Zone? Although, in some continuities at least, banishment to the Phantom Zone was sometimes temporary. Perhaps Xa-Du's crime was only meant to be a short sentence?

I think I have a better idea.

Why was Xa-Du sent to the Phantom Zone? "Illegal medical research"... into the same sort of cryogenic suspension that (at least in some continuities) is how Supergirl survived the destruction of Krypton. So if you play with that angle you need to question why he was a criminal... hard. was he actually deserving of being sent to the Phantom Zone? Although, in some continuities at least, banishment to the Phantom Zone was sometimes temporary. Perhaps Xa-Du's crime was only meant to be a short sentence?
    Zod’s the one I want as the sympathetic villain. He’s already got that with his origin: he believed Jor-El’s warnings and tried to overthrow the Science Council because they weren’t going to heed them. Ironically he is then banished to the PZ himself by Jor-El, and comes into conflict with Jor’s son. Zod’s appeal to me is the same reason a lot of the evil Supermen have appeal: he’s Clark without the morals, who sees that Earth is on the same self-destructive course as Krypton and is determined to not let that happen again. I’d play his Kryptonian supremacy tendencies as a desire to impose Kryptonian culture on Earth (minus the parts he dislikes) and basically build humanity into an interstellar imperialist power the way he wasn’t able to do with Krypton.

Xa I want as the utterly depraved and evil Kryptonian villain. He wants to slaughter all of Earth and rule over a bunch of super zombies like some kind of NecroGod. He’s entertaining precisely because he’s so depraved. Lean in on the hamminess, on how wild and over the top he is, how he’s utterly insane from all the time he’s spent in the Zone and have fun with that. He’s not exactly like the Joker, but he’s similar in that what he wants is utterly horrifying and alien to our morals and there’s no line he won’t cross.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Xa I want as the utterly depraved and evil Kryptonian villain. He wants to slaughter all of Earth and rule over a bunch of super zombies like some kind of NecroGod. He’s entertaining precisely because he’s so depraved. Lean in on the hamminess, on how wild and over the top he is, how he’s utterly insane from all the time he’s spent in the Zone and have fun with that. He’s not exactly like the Joker, but he’s similar in that what he wants is utterly horrifying and alien to our morals and there’s no line he won’t cross.
    Hmmm compared to the wiki write-up? That seems like it might as well be a new character. While Xa-du is amoral, the original one wasn't that level of over the top evil.

Also there's a group of Kryptonians from Juru who were basically a cabal of evil wizards.

Hmmm compared to the wiki write-up? That seems like it might as well be a new character. While Xa-du is amoral, the original one wasn't that level of over the top evil.

Also there's a group of Kryptonians from Juru who were basically a cabal of evil wizards.
    Which Xa are you talking about? The original Xa and the one Morrison made are two different characters. The New 52 Xa is hilariously evil:

Dude’s been free of the PZ for five seconds and already is planning to turn Kandor into his army of super-zombies

Which Xa are you talking about? The original Xa and the one Morrison made are two different characters. The New 52 Xa is hilariously evil:

Dude’s been free of the PZ for five seconds and already is planning to turn Kandor into his army of super-zombies
    Ok... um... not that one. The original one I guess?

My faves are Luthor, Darkseid, Brainiac, Bizzarro, Mongul, Parasite and Zod. I'd love to see Atomic Skull, Kryptonite Man and Livewire get used more often as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    My faves are Luthor, Darkseid, Brainiac, Bizzarro, Mongul, Parasite and Zod. I'd love to see Atomic Skull, Kryptonite Man and Livewire get used more often as well.
    Which version? The others had been more constant through the different eras, but there had been several Kryptonite men.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-Ul View Post
    Which version? The others had been more constant through the different eras, but there had been several Kryptonite men.
    Clay Ramses is the only one I’ve been interested in personally

Seeing WW get a big diorama of her and her Rogues like Batman did makes me hope we’ll get one of Superman and his Rogues. I don’t know who XM would choose though, doubt they’d pick the good ones to be frank.