Page 49 of 64 FirstFirst ... 3945464748495051525359 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Someone on Tumblr asked me about Volcana and it was the most I thought about her in ages.

Attachment 113709

I kind of understand why she didn’t make the jump to the comics given it took Livewire until 2006 to do so, and Volcana has an even harder time posing a threat with just her basic powerset. Was fun coming up with ways to upgrade her and make her work as an ongoing foe though.
    Heh, Mark Rosewater once wrote a piece about story writing that mentioned that the villain must pose a threat tot he hero... but he also mentioned that it's not necessarily direct mortal danger to the hero. It can also be a threat to people the hero protects.

Someone on Tumblr asked me about Volcana and it was the most I thought about her in ages.

Attachment 113709

I kind of understand why she didn’t make the jump to the comics given it took Livewire until 2006 to do so, and Volcana has an even harder time posing a threat with just her basic powerset. Was fun coming up with ways to upgrade her and make her work as an ongoing foe though.
    Really, she had one or two cameo appearances, but never got a proper comic debut and development.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Last edited by Gaius; 09-12-2021 at 07:27 PM.

I love it when he has the statues in his Fortress

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Incredible Member

I love it when he has the statues in his Fortress

Love that Ultra-Humanite is placed between Luthor and Brainiac; he truly belongs in their tier.

For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Attachment 113709

I kind of understand why she didnÂ’t make the jump to the comics given it took Livewire until 2006 to do so, and Volcana has an even harder time posing a threat with just her basic powerset. Was fun coming up with ways to upgrade her and make her work as an ongoing foe though.
    That's easy. Volcana made her debut in the comics in 1996. Action Comics vol 1 #725 1996. Superman TAS Volcana debuted in 1998. In the comics, Volcana is from Apokolis and only breathes fire. Instead of being a full blown pyrokinetic.

Last edited by Doctor Know; 09-21-2021 at 05:45 PM.

For more exposure in the comics and other media, my thinking is to make Volcana one of the Furies. Since she's originally from Apokolips. And it gives her more character than being just another metahuman villainess. Like Livewire, Silver Banshee and Killer Frost. Supes has crossed blades against Amazing Grace, Gilotina, Lashina, Mad Harriet, and Stompa. The Furies Supes has never fought are Bernadeth, Bloody Mary and Knockout. Although Knockout debuted as villain to Connor back in the 90s. Volcana (TAS or comic version) could easily bump Bernadeth off the Furies. All Bernadeth has going for her is a knife that burns things from the inside out, when they are cut. Hardly the most intimidating weapon or most fun to choreograph fights for. There's a reason she gets the least amount of exposure among the main Furies created by Kirby.

an underrated rogues gallery at this point imo defintely top 5 easily....outside of Batman,Spiderman and probably X-Men not sure what I rank higher.

Ah so DCAU Volcana was another of Timm/Dini’s revamps. Or perhaps they didn’t know about her, she wasn’t a very prominent character for certain.

Ah so DCAU Volcana was another of Timm/Dini’s revamps. Or perhaps they didn’t know about her, she wasn’t a very prominent character for certain.
    Most likely a revamp. Same way how DCAU Brainiac was a combination of classic Brainiac and the Eradicator. Comic Volcana has only two appearances. While TAS version appeared several times on Superman and JLU.

Saw this take on the Eradicator floating around Twitter. Wild.

Saw this take on the Eradicator floating around Twitter. Wild.

Kind of a dramatic redesign.

No shades = Not the Eradicator in my opinion.

Is that Ultraman?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Is that Ultraman?
    Nope that’s Eradicator, his “usual” form anyway from Reign. The big version is an altered version of him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-28-2021 at 10:57 AM.