Page 6 of 64 FirstFirst ... 23456789101656 ... LastLast

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post

terrible doomsday.

smallville was very smart in portraying it in silhouette and shadows, make it much more menacing.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

I'll be honest, Doomsday is not a particularly breathtaking design. He just looks like a big brute with some bones that don't really serve a purpose from an evolutionary standpoint. Everything about him just looks like it was designed to kill Superman and peace after that mic drop. I don't think Snyder's Doomsday looking the way he did was a bad call, especially when he's just a Frankenstein's monster of Zod. All Doomsday really has to look is strong. Big hulking monsters look strong. It's fine. Not my favorite, but it's not terrible.

Doomsday has potential. He can be elevated with the right approach, but his visual never did it for me. He's kind of generic. That's not a bad thing, but when the writing isn't interesting it just makes him forgettable... And he has nowhere to go. He's good for one story because he made his entrance killing Superman. Nowhere to go but down from there. He never should have came back. He should forever have been that one thing we're glad stayed dead because of what it did the first time. He'd feel way more impactful that way.
    Last edited by Robanker; 01-22-2021 at 03:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Is this a hard and fast thing with Metallo now? When I was a kid, he was just a thug who was turned into a Kryptonite powered cyborg by a paranoid scientist. I haven't read a Metallo story in a long time.

My favorite Superman villain (at least, the last time I read about him) is . . .
    Attachment 104939
    He's like the Joker, if the Joker were actually fun to read about.
    Meh, Superman already has Toyman as the weird comical villain (Joker-Batman, Trickster-Flash) I think Prankster should go to another hero like Arrow, Shazam, or Cyborg

Speaking of

Last edited by Mutant God; 01-22-2021 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Meh, Superman already has Toyman as the weird comical villain (Joker-Batman, Trickster-Flash) I think Prankster should go to another hero like Arrow, Shazam, or Cyborg

Speaking of

Toyman is making the jump over to the good guys now, so that eliminates the redundancy. That said I always felt there was enough difference between the two with Toyman’s specific toy gimmic vs. Prankster’s more freewheeling operating method.

I wonder whatever happened to Hiro Okamura...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder whatever happened to Hiro Okamura...
    He was a part of Pak’s Action run, beyond that I don’t think he’s shown up again. Maybe he’ll show up in Yang’s series?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He was a part of Pak’s Action run, beyond that I don’t think he’s shown up again. Maybe he’ll show up in Yang’s series?
    Yeah, I remember him in that arc where Batman basically admits to playing video games .

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Toyman is making the jump over to the good guys now, so that eliminates the redundancy. That said I always felt there was enough difference between the two with Toyman’s specific toy gimmick vs. Prankster’s more freewheeling operating method.
    I see the difference between the two but I thought Superman didn't need two "jokey" villains. I don't see good guy Toyman being a main stay in the comics and never making it to another medium since in the picture above theres over a dozen versions of Toyman that appear as a villain.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Presenting the bulleteers,faster than a speeding bullet.Mortal men who have decided to challenge the man of action and dedicate themselves to anarchy,crime..etc through sheer enginuity and passion for speed.(Why run when you can ride!!!)How will superman ever keep up with the mayhem and devastation?

Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 01-24-2021 at 02:57 AM.
    "People’s Dreams... Have No Ends"

I see the difference between the two but I thought Superman didn't need two "jokey" villains. I don't see good guy Toyman being a main stay in the comics and never making it to another medium since in the picture above theres over a dozen versions of Toyman that appear as a villain.
    Alas I don’t think we’ll be seeing any version of Toyman good or bad appearing in outside medium any time soon. And given I doubt PKJ has any urge to write a Toyman story I could see the new Bendis status quo sticking for a while, especially if there’s a new Checkmate book coming where he’ll have a role.

Astonishing Member

Okay, I don't really see them as "jokey" villains as "gimmick" villains. Not in a condescending way, but in that they use gadgets and traps with specific themes. But let's say that is the case. If we go through Superman's rogues gallery and picked out the "jokey" villains, then we've got Toyman, Prankster and maybe some version of the Puzzler. The original Puzzler was themed around puzzles and parlor games. The new Puzzler is . . . well, basically a joke with a badly used superpower. Maybe a couple of other Golden Age villains we might never see again. If we expand the parameters of the "jokey" villains past "gimmick" villains to humorous ones with actual powers, then we also have to extend it to Mr. Mxyzptlk, who is a walking, floating comedy cartoon character. Unless they've tried to make him serious again, which is always a bad idea. So, that's four overall that might be worth naming. It's still not a lot. Especially compared to characters like Batman who have tons of villains with silly gimmicks. Maybe you don't care for the gimmicks they use with it being all toys, games, puzzles and practical jokes, but they were developed during a time when superhero comics were playing to an audience of 8-year-olds and that's probably never going to completely wash out of the genre's base DNA. In the end, there aren't limited slots for villains so none of them really have to be gotten rid of. And since Superman is one of the true generalists in superhero comics, there's room for villains of every type and genre.

Personally, if you twisted my arm and made me pick one of those villains to get rid of, I'd probably pick Toyman. I just don't think he ever really recovered from when they made him a child killer in the '90s.

Extraordinary Member

I’m utterly shocked DC hasn’t adapted Volcana into comics yet.

With Harley, Mercy and Livewire already.....you’d think it would be a sure thing.
    Last edited by Will Evans; 01-24-2021 at 06:14 PM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’m utterly shocked DC hasn’t adapted Volcana into comics yet.

With Harley, Mercy and Livewire already.....you’d think it would be a sure thing.
    Maybe they were worried she's another Livewire? They've tried redeeming Livewire before so I don't know what they'd do with Volcana, though I do like her.

Chumps: Lex Luthor, Zod, Braniac, Darkseid

Champ: Terra Man