Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    This is why I can't jump on the replace Patty Jenkins bandwagon. Regardless of what issues WW84 may have had, Jenkins was dedicated to keeping the spirit of Wonder Woman intact. And she refused to portray Wonder Woman Warrior Princess in either film.
    Agreed, I don't want wonder woman transformed into a copy of Xena.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by PopQuezy View Post
    This is why I can't jump on the replace Patty Jenkins bandwagon. Regardless of what issues WW84 may have had, Jenkins was dedicated to keeping the spirit of Wonder Woman intact. And she refused to portray Wonder Woman Warrior Princess in either film.
    It really brings perspective to the critics who still complain about her use of the shield and sword in the first film (the people who keep harping on how Gadot's and Jenkins' Diana was more Xena than Diana, which as far from the truth as you get). You wanna see Xena on steroids? Look at that Hack Snyder pic of WWINO (Wonder Woman in name Only) carrying decapitated heads.

Diana wielding a sword and using a shield doesn't automatically make her a bloodthirsty "Badass Warrior Woman." At the end of the day, she defeated Ares after fully realizing that humans are equally capable of evil things and wonderful things: "It's about what you believe...and I believe in love."

tumblr_owhrzr25411rz7n7qo3_540.jpg

And then, another potently quotable line from Diana in the movie: "Only love can truly save the world."

You don't get any more Wonder Woman than that.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    It really brings perspective to the critics who still complain about her use of the shield and sword in the first film (the people who keep harping on how Gadot's and Jenkins' Diana was more Xena than Diana, which as far from the truth as you get). You wanna see Xena on steroids? Look at that Hack Snyder pic of WWINO (Wonder Woman in name Only) carrying decapitated heads.

Diana wielding a sword and using a shield doesn't automatically make her a bloodthirsty "Badass Warrior Woman." At the end of the day, she defeated Ares after fully realizing that humans are equally capable of evil things and wonderful things: "It's about what you believe...and I believe in love."

tumblr_owhrzr25411rz7n7qo3_540.jpg

And then, another potently quotable line from Diana in the movie: "Only love can truly save the world."

You don't get any more Wonder Woman than that.
    Sure, and the lasso and bracelets are not only the absolute best things for her to have, they are also the best representation of those ideals.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Sure, and the lasso and bracelets are not only the absolute best things for her to have, they are also the best representation of those ideals.
    Lasso/bracelets and Sword/shield are not mutually exclusive and they don't negate each other.
    I don't understant this binary thinking and this whole pitting the two set of "accessories" as some sort of opposing concepts.
    I love the lasso and bracelets, and I have no problem with Diana using the sword to kill monsters, demons, and otherworldly creatures.
    Heck, if they bring Circe for Wonder Woman 3, I fully expect/hope Diana is forced to use her blade to deal with some deadly monsters/demons from Greek myth (harpies, lamias, keres).
    That does not have to detract from other scenes in which she could put the lasso to good use (remember that scene in "The Witch on The Island" in which the lasso of Hestia protected Vanessa, keeping Circe's bestiamorphs at bay?).
    It does not have to be a black OR white issue.

Lasso/bracelets and Sword/shield are not mutually exclusive and they don't negate each other.
    I don't understant this binary thinking and this whole pitting the two set of "accessories" as some sort of opposing concepts.
    I love the lasso and bracelets, and I have no problem with Diana using the sword to kill monsters, demons, and otherworldly creatures.
    Heck, if they bring Circe for Wonder Woman 3, I fully expect/hope Diana is forced to use her blade to deal with some deadly monsters/demons from Greek myth (harpies, lamias, keres).
    That does not have to detract from other scenes in which she could put the lasso to good use (remember that scene in "The Witch on The Island" in which the lasso of Hestia protected Vanessa, keeping Circe's bestiamorphs at bay?).
    Agreed, I liked the occasional times she'd use a sword until it became a thing.

The thing is that I think every situation she gets put into becomes less interesting if her weapon is a sword and shield. I can't remember the original storyline but in the new Doomsday film she fought him using a sword.

Imagine if instead of that she she used gauntlets instead of braceletes, and added mountain climbing pins to her lasso, so she could both cut him from a distance like a whip, and get up close and stab him to pin him down using them and the unbreakable lasso. Just rope him instead of cutting things he can regenerate. Would've made for a more unique fight scene.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-08-2021 at 11:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Zack's version would have sent the wrong message. It sounds like she was based off of Azzarello's dark New 52 Wonder Woman. Diana isn't the type to kill and then carry around a bunch of severed heads like trophies.
    I can't recall Azzarello's WW ever doing that in any situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Attachment 104455

In spirit, it reminds me of this Frank Miller image from the 70s.
    Top left caption: "The Wonder Woman Who Wasn't".

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    I can't recall Azzarello's WW ever doing that in any situation.

Not that exact thing but she had her share of gross, violent moments.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Snyder clearly ripped (no puns intended) off from George Miller scrapped Justice League movie. But the thing is, Diana holding a severed minotaur in Miller's justice league works because she's an amazon warrior and slaying mythical monsters is what she was trained for. Whereas Diana holding people severed heads while posing for pictures is not only ooc, but borders on war crimes and sets a bad image for Wonder Woman since historically speaking, the people going around with severed heads as trophy in wars are usually the bad guys and the ones who've committing atrocities.

Incredible Member

That was a major bullet Wonder Woman deflected with her bracelets! I’m not a fan of Snyder’s original vision of Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Even Azzarello's Diana, raised by crappy Amazons, didn't seem like she would carry around severed heads.

Some of the other Amazons in that run would though.
    Yeah, was going to say just this. New 52 Diana wouldn't have done this either. Her sisters, probably. But not her, at least not to human beings.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 01-09-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Yeah, was going to say just this. New 52 Diana wouldn't have done this either. Her sisters, probably. But not her, at least not to human beings.
    Yeah, worth noting a notable moment from that run is a young Diana sparing a Minotaur’s life.

Astonishing Member

I will forever be greatful that Jenkins won this tug-of-war over Diana's character in the DCEU.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Awonder View Post
    I will forever be greatful that Jenkins won this tug-of-war over Diana's character in the DCEU.
    Absolutely.

I hate the never ending comparisons with Marvel, but I have to add one myself. I tend to find the Marvel movies fairly boring, predictable and too high on the cheese factor for me, BUT I recognize they are well made and most importantly that they understand the characters and are excited about telling their stories. The latter is something I wish the folks at WB had as well.

Really only Jenkins (she gets who Diana is) and Wan have shown that to me so far. (I haven't seen Shazam yet.) The other movies in the DCEU are stories those directors wanted to tell, regardless of whether they were the right story for those characters or what the audiences wanted to see. The latter would be somewhat forgivable if they stories were well written and the movies well made, but alas . . .