Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by fong03 View Post
    Absolutely.

I hate the never ending comparisons with Marvel, but I have to add one myself. I tend to find the Marvel movies fairly boring, predictable and too high on the cheese factor for me, BUT I recognize they are well made and most importantly that they understand the characters and are excited about telling their stories. The latter is something I wish the folks at WB had as well.

Really only Jenkins (she gets who Diana is) and Wan have shown that to me so far. (I haven't seen Shazam yet.) The other movies in the DCEU are stories those directors wanted to tell, regardless of whether they were the right story for those characters or what the audiences wanted to see. The latter would be somewhat forgivable if they stories were well written and the movies well made, but alas . . .
    Wb directors arent comic fans like marvels are. I still can't believe snyder gave her a dark brownish rusted battle worn troy extra costume. Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Wb directors arent comic fans like marvels are. I still can't believe snyder gave her a dark brownish rusted battle worn troy extra costume. Tragic.
    one of many distortions he brought to these characters From that WW costume to changing Mera's hair from red to brown.

Amazing Member

I'm a little late to that discussion, and I held off for some days because I wasn't sure if this fits... but I think I have a good idea where Mr. Snyder got his inspiration from.

If you google for 'amazons', you will sooner or later find links to the 'Dahomey Amazons'. The kingdom of Dahomey in western Africa employed a female army during the 19th century. The Dahomeans also had a male army which had superior numbers, however the women were considered to be more proficient, highly motivated, and loyal to the death. The Europeans who had a chance to see them called them 'Amazons', although this is not quite right - 'amazon' implies an all-female or alt least matriarchal society, and the Dahomean society was quite patriarchal. The female soldiers fought for a king who was invariably a man. In their own language, they were called 'ahosi' (literally, 'wives of the Leopard', i.e. wives of the king).

Anyway, if you google for 'Dahomey Amazons', or just look up the wikipedia entry, you will find this picture (which is NSFW, so I'm just giving a link):

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ey_amazon1.jpg

It shows a high-ranking officer of the ahosi, whose name is given as Seh-dong Hong-Beh. Note that Diana strikes the same pose, except that Diana holds a spear instead of a musket. (Actually, I can't think of why Diana would have a spear - which never was part of her arsenal - unless it is to recreate this pose.)

In case you wonder about the costume of the ahosi: she is barefoot, because nobody in Dahomey was allowed to wear shoes, except for the king (and foreign visitors). The striped dress was peacetime uniform. In war, they wore brown or grey clothes, and scouts or snipers would wear camouflage suits which they made of grass and foliage (Ghillie suits in modern terms). In peacetime, the ahosi had various duties as police force and executioners, so this is probably the reason why she holds a severed head while in peacetime uniform.

If you want to read more about the Dahomey Amazons, I recommend the wikipedia entry, and some of the books mentioned there: 'Amazons of Black Sparta' by Stanley Alpern and 'Warrior Women' by Robert Edgerton. I would not recommend 'Wives of the Leopard' by Edna Bay (although amazon.com recommends it ) - it mostly covers the economical and political role of women in Dahomey, not the military role. Also, be warned: those books have some bloody and violent descriptions... less 'Wonder Woman' and more 'Red Sonja' in comicbook terms