Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I went into Future State blind. I didnt read any of the rumors or leaked threads. The only reason I knew Batman was going to be an African American was listening to my aunts Trumper friends go on and on about how the SJW ruined another character. Even though none of them have read a comic in 20 years if at all. Oh and the story on Fox News wondering if people are just a bit too Woke.

So going into this blind I was really happy at the end of the book. I really enjoyed reading a Batman that was not Batgod/Batdick. I really loved the two brothers with the Bane gang. Are they like The Jokerz in Batman Beyond cartoon? A gang based in a villain? or is it rumored that Bane will have a connection?

It was a bit bogged down because there was so much to try and explain. But over all I enjoyed it. I really did like the back up story as well. With the Arkham Knights. A couple really great under rated Bat Foes getting a chance to shine is great.

All in all I give it 3.5 out of 5.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I really loved the back ups in the second issue, not that I didn't like the main story too; the drama with what is justice was well done there but Slam Bradley's super-speak easy bar in the Gotham Siren's feature and the continuation of the Batgirls idea were both fantastic.

Ultimate Member

I don't know why the main story seems so short.

And the way the story is flowing, it seems the original format has changed and stuff was supposed to play out as a mystery.

I read today's issue and liked it. The backups are pretty weak but maybe on a reread i might like it more.

Extraordinary Member

I thought the drop off from Nick Derington doing art on issue #1 on the main story to only doing breakdowns on issue #2 with Laura Braga finishing it off was noticeable. Is Derington busy with something else?

I think today's issue is good because we start to get a look a bit more of Jace as Batman and his way of thinking and how he operates. Like the first issue felt like he was a Batman, but this issue actually delves into his character. That may be because it was meant to be a surprise who this was. We also get a look at a hint of what may inspire Jace to be Batman, if that Car Crash flashback was any indication. Like I said though we see how he operates, with motorbikes, disposable phones, and his own guy named Vol who I think is German. Overall I think with the digital series announced we should not expect any real answers, that will probably explore more of how we got here.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Thought it was way too over narrated. Like the writer lost confidence that his artist could illustrate what he was trying to express.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Thought it was way too over narrated. Like the writer lost confidence that his artist could illustrate what he was trying to express.
    With the change in art you might not be far off

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think today's issue is good because we start to get a look a bit more of Jace as Batman and his way of thinking and how he operates. Like the first issue felt like he was a Batman, but this issue actually delves into his character. That may be because it was meant to be a surprise who this was. We also get a look at a hint of what may inspire Jace to be Batman, if that Car Crash flashback was any indication. Like I said though we see how he operates, with motorbikes, disposable phones, and his own guy named Vol who I think is German. Overall I think with the digital series announced we should not expect any real answers, that will probably explore more of how we got here.
    Vol seems to be Russian, there was a phrase he used that I googled. it was russian for good luck. it looks like Jace may have killed someone in Russia or killed someone and fled to Russia, based on the snowy background of the flashback and Vol. that's my speculation at least.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypo View Post
    I thought the drop off from Nick Derington doing art on issue #1 on the main story to only doing breakdowns on issue #2 with Laura Braga finishing it off was noticeable. Is Derington busy with something else?
    Losing Derrington sapped most of my interest in this book. He was the main draw here.

You know what I just thought about, and I appreciate both as someone currently studying law but also because it makes sense, that Ridley actually is trying to delve into the legality of the magistrate and the shoot on sight mask law. That its not just as simple as the law passed and thats it as someone stories tend to but obviously someone would argue against it, especially when it involves lethal force.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I didn't read it, but I have a question for those who did. Did this Tim Fox dude just TAKE the suit and mantle? That sounds weird to me.
    - We were the BEST, Richard. No matter what anyone thinks. - Damian Wayne.

Green Lantern Spanish Fan Site HERE

Quote Originally Posted by poroto678 View Post
    I didn't read it, but I have a question for those who did. Did this Tim Fox dude just TAKE the suit and mantle? That sounds weird to me.
    It's not explained, he just is Batman. See this is not Next Batman: Year one, no explanation is made for how he is trained to be Batman, where he got the suit and equipment, why he had to be Batman, or who his tech guy Vol is. We are dropped right in the middle of Tim's story.

That being said there is a origin series in Second Son coming soon so that may fill in the blanks.
    Words to live by.

It was decent. For me though the catwoman book was much better..dark detective and catwoman have been the best so far. Harley was ok..robin ok. Oh yeah nightwing was dope too.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Don't know yet whether it actually works (and maybe all's not what it seems), but regardless I have to admire the stones to go "Here is Batman 2.0, who is probably being created with the intent of making a billion dollars when played by Michael Jordan in 5 years and ending up in Happy Meals. His origin is that he's driven by the guilt of his unreported hit-and-run."
    Buh-bye