Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Default Future State: The Next Batman

Written by John Ridley(of 12 Years a Slave fame) this first chapter in a four part mini strives to set up a new world(though not too different than our own) and a new Batman, which is no easy feat. And while the concept of a new, though decidedly lower tech, Batman going after a fascist, private security firm is definitely a tantalizing setting ripe with storytelling potential as introductory issues go this was more miss than hit. There were definitely parts that were incredibly strong, the character work between Luke Fox(the new Batman) and his mother was fantastic and the subplot about two brothers joining a Bane-themed gang in order to survive only to be saved by Batman was incredibly engaging...but the exposition heavy bits between those scenes makes for really uneven reading. Charged with not only fully explaining the Magistrate, the new maskless Gotham, and the daily lives of our main characters, Ridley's story quickly finds itself bogged down heavily by the trappings of his herculean undertaking of introducing such a new world in a single issue. He has a lot going on here, which while exciting makes the good parts of the issue somewhat hard to enjoy as the issue seems to get to a start, only then to abruptly stop dead in its tracks to explain some other arm of the narrative. All in all, though certainly an interesting world its exposition heavy introduction ultimately makes for a frustrating read.

Anyone else pick this up?

I did and I thought it was pretty good.

Yeah I picked this up and I think the one thing I like that Ridley did is that this feels like Batman. Tim/Jace doesn’t come off as though he’s struggling or that he’s not on the level of Bruce, like he’s not getting his butt handed to him in fights or messing up the grappling hooks. He handles himself as Batman, he’s got the gadgets and the skills to handle himself as he takes on crime in a slightly morphed version of Gotham as well a confident attitude that I think helps that he’s not putting himself down as he is Batman. It definitely begs the question where Tim/Jace got his training as not just anyone can be but it’s definitely a strong first showing.

I think the other backups are interesting and helps show more of the world that we have in the future, also Arkham Knights is a lot more personal then I thought it would be for a team of Gotham criminals.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Don't see why this thread was started. There is a future state thread where everyone has been talking about this book...

"Anyone pick this up" no dude , no one here had no idea it was coming out until you posted about it...85 percent of thread starters seem to be people who think their opinion needs to start a new thread instead of just putting it in a thread that already exits...facepalm
    Last edited by Bad Witch; 01-08-2021 at 10:30 AM.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Not checked this out. Ridley put me of with the Black Lighting story. Loved Future state WW though [+ she's got a show and a future title so doesn't feel like filler]. Is this recommended? Don't want to waste my cash on such that's going to piss me off or that goes nowhere

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post
    Don't see why this thread was started. There is a future state thread where everyone has been talking about this book...

"Anyone pick this up" no dude , no one here had no idea it was coming out until you posted about it...85 percent of thread starters seem to be people who think their opinion needs to start a new thread instead of just putting it in a thread that already exits...facepalm
    That's like asking why anyone make any single issues thread rather than talking about all the Batfam books each Wednesday at once.

Anyway, carry on.

Nevermind.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-08-2021 at 06:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Witch View Post

I didn't see one for it...and with all the crazy appreciation threads it's easy to lose anything more current.

Oh, and I just found it...on page three...and there was only one comment about the actual issue...so how was this an unneeded thread again?

Mods can feel free to combine this if they like but it hardly feels like over kill.
    Last edited by thwhtGuardian; 01-10-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Ya, this tread is ok. Shocking lack of discussion about the issue though on this board in general. I blame the leaks. We already knew most, if not all the details, and had discussions about them already. Leaving really just the execution of the issue to talk about. Which was fine. But just fine.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 01-10-2021 at 08:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Ya, this tread is ok. Shocking lack of discussion about the issue though on this board in general. I blame the leaks. We already knew most, if not all the details, and had discussions about them already. Leaving really just the execution of the issue to talk about. Which was fine. But just fine.
    I tend to avoid the leaks so I went in fairly blind. Over all even though it was bogged down a lot by a ton of exposition I think I liked it slightly better than Tynion's writing as I felt the character work with the Fox family was really great and the general way in which Batman operated out of the Shadows just worked really well.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Yeah, revealing tim fox when it's clear the book is treating us as if we don't know it's Tim seems like a weird decision. Especially since not that many people know who Tim is anyway, so it's not like that's a hook that will get people to buy the issue.

Also, there isn't a lot to the story so far that warrants discussion. It seems like a slow build that'll work better in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Yeah, revealing tim fox when it's clear the book is treating us as if we don't know it's Tim seems like a weird decision. Especially since not that many people know who Tim is anyway, so it's not like that's a hook that will get people to buy the issue.

Also, there isn't a lot to the story so far that warrants discussion. It seems like a slow build that'll work better in trade.
    I think that's part of the problem with some of these books, if I remember correctly some of the introductions to 5G were meant to be graphic novels; if that was the case with this story and certainly the Superman book as well, then the pacing issues make a lot of sense as what works plotting wise for a long piece doesn't fit when you turn around and chop it up into a monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I didn't see one for it...and with all the crazy appreciation threads it's easy to lose anything more current.

Oh, and I just found it...on page three...and there was only one comment about the actual issue...so how was this an unneeded thread again?

Mods can feel free to combine this if they like but it hardly feels like over kill.
    That's because it is not.

When the "Mister Miracle..." maxi was going a while back, there were "Single Issue..." threads alongside the "Mister Miracle..." thread from before the run started where folks were discussing things in the run up to it and as it was being published.

The world kept on spinning just fine.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I think that's part of the problem with some of these books, if I remember correctly some of the introductions to 5G were meant to be graphic novels; if that was the case with this story and certainly the Superman book as well, then the pacing issues make a lot of sense as what works plotting wise for a long piece doesn't fit when you turn around and chop it up into a monthly.
    I don't remember a rumor like that honestly. 5G books were all ongoings I blelieve.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I don't remember a rumor like that honestly. 5G books were all ongoings I blelieve.
    Same. But Ridley is used to writing more longer form so I guess the slow build is to be expected. Was a lot stuff to set the scene, but not a whole lot to chew on. I also think the trade will suit this better. But I did enjoy what we saw so far, interested in seeing the Fox Family drama which is already something you don’t a whole lot of in a usual Batman book.