Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Was Poison Ivy Going To Become A Vertigo Character?

On the TV Tropes Swamp Thing page, it's stated that a bonkers crossover was in the works at Vertigo between Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing:

"A Swamp Thing/Poison Ivy story was written in the mid-90s for publication was shelved due to to conflict between Vertigo and Batman editors. The story would have revealed that Alec Holland and Poison Ivy had an affair and that Ivy spent years bleeding Alec Holland dry financially and forcing him to steal chemicals for Ivy to use in her criminal capers, by threatening to out the affair to his wife Linda. Years later, Ivy and Swamp Thing would meet for the first time as Ivy attempts to gain plant-based elemental power and Swamp Thing would unleash unspeakable vengeance against Ivy for the years of torture Alec endured; when she uses her power to turn herself into an elemental, Swamp Thing would use his own powers to override Ivy's usage of her own new power, turning her into a tree THEN stripping her of the ability to turn herself back via destroying the artifact she used to gain her powers, trapping her in an And I Must Scream hell. The story never got published because the Batman editors got tipped off that the Vertigo editors not only would not let them undo the story so Ivy could appear in future Batman stories, but they would attempt to STRIP Batman editors and pretty much ANY OTHER DC WRITER of any chance to use Ivy again, by claiming that since she appeared in a Vertigo book, she was now irreversibly Vertigo property."

However, after some relatively thorough research, I couldn't find anything on this proposal that had been shot down? Does anyone have any proof that this story was in the works at DC?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    On the TV Tropes Swamp Thing page, it's stated that a bonkers crossover was in the works at Vertigo between Poison Ivy and Swamp Thing:
    As for your information, original Swamp Thing wasn't a Vertigo Character. Vertigo Comics didn't even exist when he was created.
    His adventures were set in the main DC univers. In Len Wein's run he meets Batman, and later in Alan Moore's run there is a arc in Gotham.
    So a crossover between him an other main DC character could have been possible.

But the story you're quoting, seems a stupid add to Alec's past that too big to be true. I wouldn't fit to the tone of the title Swamp Thing. I'm glad it got shelved.

Sounds very weird, suppose someone from Vertigo really hated Poison Ivy character and wanted to kill her for good?

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    As for your information, original Swamp Thing wasn't a Vertigo Character. Vertigo Comics didn't even exist when he was created.
    His adventures were set in the main DC univers. In Len Wein's run he meets Batman, and later in Alan Moore's run there is a arc in Gotham.
    So a crossover between him an other main DC character could have been possible.

But the story you're quoting, seems a stupid add to Alec's past that too big to be true. I wouldn't fit to the tone of the title Swamp Thing. I'm glad it got shelved.
    It doesn't matter whether or not Swamp Thing originated as a Vertigo character. For a period of time there was a general rule that DC characters whose titles fell under the Vertigo label were less open to interacting with the DC Universe. DiDio even talked about this.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-09-2021 at 08:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    It doesn't matter whether or not Swamp Thing originated as a Vertigo character. For a period of time there was a general rule that DC characters whose titles fell under the Vertigo label were less open to interacting with the DC Universe. DiDio even talked about this.
    Doens't matter if Vertigo title Titles "were less open to interacting with the DC Universe", I'm saying it could have happened for those reasons I named. But it didn't because the pitch is just plain bad.

Quote Originally Posted by jb681131 View Post
    Doens't matter if Vertigo title Titles "were less open to interacting with the DC Universe", I'm saying it could have happened for those reasons I named. But it didn't because the pitch is just plain bad.
    I agree the pitch sucks. It reads more like fan fiction, which makes me doubt it's authenticity.

Whether it's accurate or not, I'm glad it didn't happen.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Well, that sounds punishing.