Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I'd be on board for most of that. I just can't see him wearing glasses.
    You mean Clark Kent glasses? No, I said *sun* glasses. You "can" have Conner without his shades....but do you really want that?

I agree that Conner shouldn't be a little Clark Kent clone. I wasn't thrilled with Johns' Conner either, though I did like the t-shirt look of the era. I will say that I can see "little Clark" as a phase he might go through (teenagers, amirite?) but it's definitely not who he is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    I really hate elements of Clark's history farmed out to Jon because I think it dilutes his individuality and makes more of a copy-cat/ripoff.
    I agree with the overall sentiment, chunks of Clark shouldn't be cut off and given away. But there's a difference between taking things from Clark and sharing them with the junior members of his own franchise. Jon can be primarily a sci-fi neo-Silver Age character, as long that doesn't mean Clark can't have those kinds of adventures too. As for it making Jon a copy/paste of Clark....that's basically all he's ever been anyway, it's just more obvious the older he gets. But just because he's a Silver Age redux doesn't mean he can't put his own spin on it, or be entertaining. His unique elements will unfold over time.

As for Kon, I don't think Conner living and working with his boyfriend at a PI agency, dealing with clones and New Gods and missing person cases, sounds much like the early Clark stories, beyond the basic "adventure pulp" aesthetic.

All that said, it's fine that you don't care for the idea. Different strokes and all that. I think you're maybe envisioning this as being closer to Clark's history than I am though. I mean, these are some pretty wide archetypes we're talking about, lots of different paths than the ones Clark took

I have a not-entirely-serious desire for Kon to become an architect
    That's actually a really nice idea. I can see Conner growing up and finding his way into that kind of job. I don't think he's ever been much of an artist and he definitely hasn't been much for school but it still seems fitting somehow. Off topic, but isn't it established that Damian Wayne can draw really well?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

What to do with Conner? I like the golden age and and the neo pulp story telling approach Ascended mentioned. It's a corner not used and Conner is perfectly suited for it. As being cloned from Lex and Clark, he really is the Metropolis Kid especially now that his ID is publicly known. Inheriting Lexcorp or starting his own company for altruistic reasons explores aspects that are unique to him. Show some business acumen or scientific curiosity. Imagine him flying outside Lex's window saying, "This is all going to be mine one day old man." With a mischievous grin. Hell why not bring back his aptitude for art. Kyle Rayner gave him some lessons and in Grant Morrison's the Just he was showcasing his art and hosting parties. Picture him donning Lex-like business suits with the S Shield on his back. The tee shirt and jeans look is well known and makes him stand out too. I've said it before but Conner needs the Fleischer S as his shield. It stands out and has his colors. He'd pretty much where the depowered Supes look in Truth but with a leather jacket, fingerless gloves and shades. Kind of a James Dean look.

Powers. Let's see. If he's going to depowered, go with the golden age powers: Super strength and leaping, move at speed of sound at his max, enhanced hearing and vision like limited macro, micro vision and infrared vision. Bring back his ttk and swipe a bit from the n52 like his ttk sensory ability and telekinetic hyper acceleration to increase his speed just as he uses it to increase strength and generate a force field. I'd have it that it takes a lot of concentration to use for a single ability and can only use it for a limited time. During Supes' leaping days, he'd perform strange acrobatic maneuvers in the air like changing directions mid jump. Have Conner do this to control his jumps and soften his landing. If push comes to shove, he can fly with his tk but it wouldn't last long. I'd also give it a visual blue or red colored effect to help distinguish it from his krypto powers.

I could never see him with Tim. They're best friends and have a brother like relationship. Geoff Johns mentioned that he modeled the relationship after the one he has with his brother. That's how I've always viewed it and I love close friendships portrayed in comics. Also I'm a big fan of Tim and Steph. Those two are made for each other and I view them the same way I see Dick and Babs. The relationship with Cassie Sandsmark was sweet and was a way to sort of experience the Super x Wonder couple. Always hoped he would have hooked up with Triad if he stayed with Legion personally. Really love M'gann and was curious what Tom King would have done. She would be perfect for neo pulp stories adding a Nancy Drew like spin if they use her pre flashpoint personality. I can see Martha taking quite a liking to her. There was also his relationship with Cassie Cain. Her ability to read people plus his tactile telekinesis (n52 version) can add a unique dimension on expressing feelings. Just their touch alone would speak volumes between them.

Location? Yeah there's Suicide Slum but I'm fine with all of Metropolis. He can set up office in the Slums but I'd prefer a Banksy like air of mystery. People can contact him on a private chat he's created asking for help. He'd post pictures of his conquests. I don't know if many of you have played Persona 5, but imagine his setup or even YJ's setup like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think perhaps we can be more bold than just a new codename and costume.

For a name, I'm thinking maybe something a little less superhero-y. There's a whole "no capes" thing with his visual, and now that Conner is free from being the "S" heir apparent and carrying the weight of tomorrow on his shoulders, I'm not entirely sure if he's the kind of character who, in the face of all this new freedom, would want another label like that immediately. I'm thinking something more like a title/tagline; (Conner Kent) the Metropolis Kid. There's history in the tagline, it keeps Conner's ties to Superman obvious, and it works whether Clark's ID (and therefore Conner's) is public or not.

Visually he needs to retain the "regular clothes" vibe but still retain elements of the superhero. The Morrison t-shirt/jeans/cape combo is an obvious go-to, but as long as you've got a fusion of civies and spandex you're good. Hell, maybe do away with the idea of a singular costume all together and have him either swap through a few different suits, or go all in and adopt a theme rather than a specific look, akin to Harley. Use the color scheme, "S" crest, sunglasses, and jacket as visual anchors and otherwise mix it up on a regular basis.

I'd push some Golden Age sensibilities into the mix. Jon is doing the Silver Age redux with the Legion and all the cosmic stuff and Clark and Kara are both off world a lot lately too. The Golden Age "protector of the little guy" niche is wide open, and I think very fitting for Conner. I'd set him in Suicide Slum (where Clark almost never goes), with frequent trips to Cadmus to deal with their crazy, the Forever People, and the other Kirby toys that Conner inherited.

Power wise I'd have him physically at Golden Age power levels, with limited enhanced senses, but also let him retain the TTK. That helps set him apart from the other El's, allows him to focus everything in one place and punch well above his weight class, gives him a lot of flexibility, but also the drawback that the more he spreads his TTK around, the less he has to focus on a single point. Maybe give him a new version of the x-ray specs, some fun toys in a utility belt he'd actually use (very pulp, I know), and if I could swing it, give him Krypto as a constant companion.

I'm starting to dig the idea of Conner and Tim dating. Not totally sold yet, but I'm warming up to it. And it fits a unrelated idea I have for where Tim's "next logical step" takes him. I'd spin it here as Tim retiring from costumes and becoming a plainclothes detective in Suicide Slum. That covers their income, gives both of them a job, and opens up plenty of story options.

So....I guess what I'd do with Conner would be a neo-pulp, post-superhero story; a little bit Dick Tracy, a little bit Blade Runner, a little bit Avengers.
    Wait...are you saying Conner should become the new Superbro?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I don't know, it doesn't really feel like it makes him a better character, at least the vague description.
    Yeah, Superlad described it better when he pitched it. Its just an option and I was focusing more on the hook and short term interest.

I like Ascended's post the most and I'd check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think perhaps we can be more bold than just a new codename and costume.

For a name, I'm thinking maybe something a little less superhero-y. There's a whole "no capes" thing with his visual, and now that Conner is free from being the "S" heir apparent and carrying the weight of tomorrow on his shoulders, I'm not entirely sure if he's the kind of character who, in the face of all this new freedom, would want another label like that immediately. I'm thinking something more like a title/tagline; (Conner Kent) the Metropolis Kid. There's history in the tagline, it keeps Conner's ties to Superman obvious, and it works whether Clark's ID (and therefore Conner's) is public or not.

Visually he needs to retain the "regular clothes" vibe but still retain elements of the superhero. The Morrison t-shirt/jeans/cape combo is an obvious go-to, but as long as you've got a fusion of civies and spandex you're good. Hell, maybe do away with the idea of a singular costume all together and have him either swap through a few different suits, or go all in and adopt a theme rather than a specific look, akin to Harley. Use the color scheme, "S" crest, sunglasses, and jacket as visual anchors and otherwise mix it up on a regular basis.

I'd push some Golden Age sensibilities into the mix. Jon is doing the Silver Age redux with the Legion and all the cosmic stuff and Clark and Kara are both off world a lot lately too. The Golden Age "protector of the little guy" niche is wide open, and I think very fitting for Conner. I'd set him in Suicide Slum (where Clark almost never goes), with frequent trips to Cadmus to deal with their crazy, the Forever People, and the other Kirby toys that Conner inherited.

Power wise I'd have him physically at Golden Age power levels, with limited enhanced senses, but also let him retain the TTK. That helps set him apart from the other El's, allows him to focus everything in one place and punch well above his weight class, gives him a lot of flexibility, but also the drawback that the more he spreads his TTK around, the less he has to focus on a single point. Maybe give him a new version of the x-ray specs, some fun toys in a utility belt he'd actually use (very pulp, I know), and if I could swing it, give him Krypto as a constant companion.

I'm starting to dig the idea of Conner and Tim dating. Not totally sold yet, but I'm warming up to it. And it fits a unrelated idea I have for where Tim's "next logical step" takes him. I'd spin it here as Tim retiring from costumes and becoming a plainclothes detective in Suicide Slum. That covers their income, gives both of them a job, and opens up plenty of story options.

So....I guess what I'd do with Conner would be a neo-pulp, post-superhero story; a little bit Dick Tracy, a little bit Blade Runner, a little bit Avengers.
    I liked the direction you have for Conner. Also, setting him in Suicide Slum sounds pretty neat and I like your description about the comparison between Jon and Conner with the latter being more towards the silver age while the former is more in line with the golden age but with a modern twist.

I Always felt that Krypto is more connected to Connor than Jon so bringing Krypto as his companion sounds good. Reminds me recently of Spider-Man (Miles Morales) having Spider-Cat and tag-teaming in villains would love to see that with both Connor and Krypto.

Oooh, i like that idea of Krypto. It's also a way to make Kon feel like a part of the family even without living with Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Wait...are you saying Conner should become the new Superbro?
    Only in a basic, generalized way. Conner isn't Clark, and Conner's "champion of the people" would look quite different from the versions of that we've seen with Clark (OG stories, Truth, Morrison's opening Action arc, etc).

More like it's an archetype that Conner would fit nicely into, not so much just rehashing the same Golden Age type stories that Clark already told.

What I see in my head has about as much in common with Clark's OG stories as, say, Ollie Queen's "social crusader" era did. They deal with similar themes and occasionally topics, you'll find overlap if you look for it, but that's where the similarities end. And I'm not saying that Conner's stories would be like Ollie's either, the "champion of the people" archetype is pretty wide, Conner would still be Conner with a narrative that is uniquely his. All he'd share with Golden Age Clark or Bronze Age Ollie would be the foundational archetype.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

More like it's an archetype that Conner would fit nicely into, not so much just rehashing the same Golden Age type stories that Clark already told.
    I admit, I perceive absolutely nothing in Kon's history that makes him particularly suited a "man of the people" or "fight for the little guy" sort. I mean, I absolutely perceive nothing in his history that makes him particularly unsuited to it, either. But it's just sort of random/generic to me, and something as easily applied (or not) to a dozen other heroes as to Kon.

Oh it *is* an archetype that is easily applied to a lot of different characters. It's one of the foundational archetypes of the genre and comes from the pulps and folklore and mythology that informed the superhero construct, so that's not surprising.

In my head, Conner taking a step into "champion of the people" territory isn't something that's established by his history so much as something that feels like a natural evolution of his history. He starts out as a celebrity superhero, and in this way is concerned with ratings, popularity polls, and other things that root him firmly to the opinions of the masses. This is unlike other characters like Clark or Barry, who don't pay much attention to such things.

Then Conner enters the t-shirt era, eventually moving to Smallville, and we see him try to find his way by following Clark's footsteps and connecting with "normal" people via a secret identity, in a way he largely hadn't before. We see him get his first real slice of normal life here (I don't count his brief time in public school while living in Hawaii). And that's continued in Bendis' YJ which saw Conner spend some time on a Gemworld farm. It was an interdimensional farm on a world full of magic, granted, but it's still a continuation of Conner interacting and dealing with normal people and not only seeing what their concerns and troubles are, but living in and sharing those concerns.

So it seems a small jump and natural progression to take this slightly older, more mature, more worldly young man and having him become more involved with the general public in his heroic persona. He worried about getting peoples' attention and having their approval as a young clone fresh out of the tube, then spent some time living in their shoes and getting to know them. So now, I can easily see Conner's approach to heroics being more focused on the "every day" plight of the common man, as opposed to alien invasions, evil gods, etc. Not that he'd stop fighting alien invasions and evil gods, don't get me wrong, but I can see Conner wanting to be closer to regular people, even as a hero, and it seems a viable trajectory for his overall character arc. Certainly not the only viable option, but *a* viable one.
    Last edited by Ascended; 01-09-2021 at 03:20 PM.

~ Black Panther.

Yeah absolutely. Also, what do you guys think of the names "Blockaid" or "Block Party" for Conner? It's a lot more superheroy than I intended, but I feel like it could work. It has some of the flare from the 90s Superboy but not in an overwhelming way, and it's puts it very clear how his new identity is about focussing on the neighbourhoods of Metropolis.
    Last edited by Alpha; 01-09-2021 at 03:55 PM.